Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 15:21   #31

Re: Help! I have been given a sailboat and don't know what to do

Many thanks Wolfgal and mlydon! I am ordering the book from amazon as we speak.
Bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 15:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtree View Post
And thanks for the sailboat data information as well, very helpful! I can't find much of any information about this boat.
Yes, sailboatdata says it has only been in production 5 years. Same model as Reinell 26 at about the same time.

The good news is that at the time fiberglass was still relatively cheap and builders would not skimp nor did they test the limits by underbuilding and as a result usually overbuilt by today's standards. So a 45 year old boat should last until indefinitely.

It looks like a good 1st real boat for you and the kids to learn on. And that shallow keel is a big plus for gunkholing. Just don't push it in a blow or some such.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 15:44   #33

It should be fun, but one question.. does it have sails with it? They are expensive, so be careful spending much money if it doesn't have them!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 15:52   #34

Hiya Bigtree and Sons!

And now a word from your Safety Officer: do not let your two boys on a dock or on the boat without lifejackets for each of them! At my brother's club, they have an inflexible rule that kids on the dock or boat must ALWAYS be wearing a lifejacket.

Maybe take that idea for your "boat code" going forward....?

Good luck with getting her in the water and your sailing adventures to come!

What are you going to call her?
Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It should be fun, but one question.. does it have sails with it? They are expensive, so be careful spending much money if it doesn't have them!
Since I was in a similar situation (my first boat came with barely usable sails) I solved it by buying used off of craigslist. I figured at $100-200 (some I picked up for even less) if a sail would last me 1-2 seasons it would be a good deal. In fact all of my such bought sails lasted all of the seasons I had the boat and went to the guy who got the boat from me.

Getting brand new sails for a 40+ year old 26 footer to be used as a training vessel just doesn't make sense unless the boat is in Bristol shape otherwise.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 16:03   #36
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

Well, I would get it squeaky clean inside and our, this includes inside the lockers and bilge area then get it rigged and see what kind of feeling you get. It is a simple boat and that is in no way bad. My initial feeling is "Hell yes! go for it" The trailer may need some work from sitting, they are not fond of that.

It is a great boat to get the kids, and you, out on the water and learning Just enforce all safty rules religiously
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 17:53   #37

Boat: Catalina 36

You don’t need lights unless/until you start going out after dusk.

If it was me I’d binge watch boatworks today to get a feel for glass work. Then fix those stanchions.

Fab a rudder, and make sure the lift lanyard for the centerboard works.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 18:21   #38

Wow, thank you all for the welcoming replies. Somehow I haven’t mentioned, I actually have a girl and a boy not 2 boys! I’m incredibly grateful and wouldn’t want it any other way. Actually my son just asked again when we’re going to “the woods.” Really special days.

Thank you LittleWing! For me the safety aspect of this is intimidating. I’m taking that one day at a time as well, trying to plan ahead for everything. I will put your advice to good use. What to call her? Haven’t given that any thought yet! Again ideas are welcome .

Apparently the boat has sails but I haven’t seen them yet. My neighbor is keeping them in sacks at his place. I have been figuring that I will more than likely start with engine power anyway, just to get used to maneuvering something that to me is pretty big? Anyway I was going to cross that bridge when I get to it but maybe I should give it some attention.

RGN, the trailer seems okay so far but it’s not in great shape. Speaking of cleaning, does anyone know how to open these little circular holes in the pic below? This is in the floor and would give me access to the bilge area. Haha it’s probably obvious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	056AF4B4-47AC-4878-BFE0-D7423D9C0BC2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	188019  
Old 14-03-2019, 19:02   #39
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33

I am actually not 100% those come out. My first boat. a trailer sailer had a couple of those and when I forcefully removed one, all that was behind that plug was flotation foam that had been sprayed in.
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 19:15   #40

Thanks RGN, glad to hear I’m not missing anything! Luckily they have been removed in a spot under the stairs which gives me some access. Thanks for your earlier post as well! Great advice.

Cat36, thanks for the tip about boatworks today. I figure I will be watching a lot of YouTube as well.

Many thanks to everyone on this thread. The wealth of information here is amazing.
Old 14-03-2019, 19:51   #41

Boat: Columbia 50

Don’t go anywhere without sails (what wil you do if the engine quits?). Always an anchor as well.

Where do you live? There are people EVERYWHERE who will gladly stop by and get you off on the right foot.......

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 23:59   #42

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtree View Post
Wow, thank you all for the welcoming replies. Somehow I haven’t mentioned, I actually have a girl and a boy not 2 boys!

From the first post, in the back of my mind, I thought you had two girls. It's all the same, though. Gender doesn't matter. I bet you're all on a good journey and that boat will make it even better
Old 15-03-2019, 01:42   #43

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, again, Bigtree,

You'll want some "cabin sole", perhaps cut from a piece of plywood. It will need to be at least 1/2" thick, so as to support your weight. Maybe you can get some second hand, maybe trade for it? and measure twice, cut once. Some foam pads (you can cover them, yourself, even hand sew them....and so can your 8 yr. olds: they have adequate eye/hand coordination to sew covers, and the pride of accomplishment will stay with them a long time. [My kids did all the basting for a family backpacking tent I sewed up, so I'm basing this on our experience, and how cool my kids thought it was that we did it!]

Develop your scrounging instincts. Dumpster diving at posh marinas can be quite rewarding at times. e bay, craigslist, bulletin boards at markets, word of mouth.....

Ann
Might not want to be too quick about putting in a cabin sole.

From -
https://sailboatdata.com/builder/ame...ner-industries
Founded by Arthur S. Henry. All models were designed by Henry, who held a patent for their unique recessed cabin sole (into the keel) that provided increased interior headroom. The sales literature referred to this feature as the "stabilizer keel".

This is probably not a bad starter boat, but I would try to minimize putting money into her. I don't think of the South Sound as being very windy and this boat has a SA/Disp of 14. A nice tame boat for beginners, but probably will not be very interesting to sail until the wind picks up. If the sailing bug bites you, you'll be wanting something with more sail area.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 01:55   #44
cruiser

Trailer bearings.
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 02:12   #45
cruiser

Alcohol stoves are slower to cook then many but their big advantage , especially with children, is that if the fuel is spilt or involved with an wanted fire, water will dilute the alcohol and the fire goes out.
We use alcohol stove, maybe half hour a kettle.
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat