Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 20:45   #1

Help! Genoa,( furler) halyard jamed?

After sailing, tried to take down the genoa which is on furler, could not move at all. Looks like the halyard is stuck at somewhere. Other in must lines and halyards move freely but the genoa halyard. I thought wrapping around but does not look like. Maybe between a halyard swivel and a head seivel??
Anyone has any idea?
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 20:53   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Help! Genoa,( furler) halyard jamed?

Could be halyard wrap as you suggest, could be a rivet or other fastener coming out of a foil section and blocking the swivel from descending... lots of possibilities.

So, the appropriate action is to get into a bosuns chair, get up the mast and do a close inspection. The cause will most likely be apparent then, and may well be easy to correct. Farting around down below is pretty much a waste of time IMO, and going aloft isn't a big deal (despite the endless threads about this everyday activity).

Jim
Old 31-05-2016, 21:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Could be halyard wrap as you suggest, could be a rivet or other fastener coming out of a foil section and blocking the swivel from descending... lots of possibilities.

So, the appropriate action is to get into a bosuns chair, get up the mast and do a close inspection. The cause will most likely be apparent then, and may well be easy to correct. Farting around down below is pretty much a waste of time IMO, and going aloft isn't a big deal (despite the endless threads about this everyday activity).

Jim
It did not happen before, ,, well should go up and look.
Thanks!
Old 31-05-2016, 22:37   #4

you might try with binoculars first. if it's a wrap around you should be able to see it. Have you moved a spare halyard forward? if nno success from the deck, go up. it can be one of several causes, but if all line are free at deck then there is probably a line around the head swivel.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 22:38   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Sometimes a pair of binoculars from the dock gives a clear view.
Old 31-05-2016, 22:58   #6

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I'm with Jim on this, regarding going up the stick. As if one thing is awry, there's a better than 50/50 chance that there's something else as well. Or something in the process of developing.
Meaning that it's time for a full on rig inspection anyway. So; tools, spares, camera, water bottle etc.

That said, if you're going to try diagnosing it from dock level, more magnification is better. Either a camera with mucho zoom (say 20x+), or a spotting scope. And either should be mounted on a tripod, to give you better stability & resolution.
Plus, with a camera, you can snap a bunch of pics, & then expand them on the computer, if the smaller bits aren't easily visible at first. And or, take them to a rigger/run them by your knowledgable neighbor, for more diagnostic review.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:41   #7

If you need and are in the area (Jacksonville or St. Augustine, FL) I'd go take a look up the mast if needed. Not sure if your location. Top of the mast is usually the culprit.

Charles
Sea Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:06   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Opened THE jammer?

Go up and open the shackle, drop the sail.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:09   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory, 31

Did you check furling line. Sometimes that line gets tangled in the furling drum.
hrsail920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:20   #10

I am a rigger and my advice is as follows.
Loosen the genoa halyard at the deck and leave it free to run.
Disconnect the genoa tack from the furler drum.
Use your main halyard to haul yourself up in your bosun's chair. The mainsail applies a few tons of load to this halyard and you dont weigh anything like that so it will be quite safe. Have a knowledgable friend assist you on the winch.
When you get to the head of the genoa make sure it is not wrapped around the foil. Unwrap it if it is then see if you can pull the loose halyard up the mast. If you can then that is not the problem. If you cant then disconnect it from your furler swivel and let the genoa fall.
If you found that the halyard ran freely then it is the swivel and the foil that are binding.
If the halyard was wrapped around the foil then either the lead from swivel to sheave is too parallel or the bearing is stiff.
Good luck and ask away of course.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:52   #11

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Is there a splice above the shackle of your genoa halyard? If so, this splice is likely jammed in the sheave. Often a judicious tug on the luff will dislodge it.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:52   #12

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

My halyard used to jam in the sheave before I shortened the pendant on the foot. I use to have to attach a snatch block inline with the luff and run a line back to a winch. Unroll the sail, attach the line to the foot and tension as much as you dare.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
you might try with binoculars first. if it's a wrap around you should be able to see it. Have you moved a spare halyard forward? if nno success from the deck, go up. it can be one of several causes, but if all line are free at deck then there is probably a line around the head swivel.
Thanks,
Does not look like wrapping around, suspect jammed at between swivels.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:14   #14

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

you need to either a; have an organised and tested way to get yourself up the mast - its probably better to sort this out before a problem arises that requires climbing the mast... or b; find a rigger who isnt fussed about getting up masts as part of his daily routine and put him on your speed dial. Had this problem a few weeks ago on a neighbours boat - guy wanted to fit some new tech to the masthead, spent a few days trying and failing to get a satisfactory working position up the mast, considered using a boatyard crane to remove the mast(v. expensive), ended up finding a rigging guy who shinned up and did the job for a negligible fee.
On my boat, ratlines and mast steps make climbing the mast a pleasant afternoon, and I've been up while the boat was drifting to retrieve the main halyard after a shackle disappeared, no drama at all. Not to mention replacing all the rigging in situ a while ago. but, at risk of labouring the point, trying to figure out a way to get up the stick when a problem arises means either a lot of time and energy wasted before addressing the actual problem, or the risk of an accident. 99% of sailing is anticipation.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34   #15

I had the same problem. None of my 303 lbs could free the halyard. I hires a rigger he climbed the mast and after a little investigating he dug out some seeds the birds had placed in the top of the mast. He removed them and a couple of squirts of Corrosion X, the halyard pulled right down. I also had to stuff a sponge in the end of my boom to because they were getting in their and building a nest. Hope this helps
patriotman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, Genoa, halyard