Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2017, 18:12   #1

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot
help estimating cost of demasted 44 ft mono seaworthy after a demasting ( hurricanes)

I was looking for some advice and someone that could estimate the cost to make a 1985 44foot Canadian seacraft ready to sail blue water again. She was demasteed in the recent hurricanes and is now in st Tomas I was hoping to get a idea of what all I should expect and a approximate cost to fix all the items I will list. I was thinking if I motored it to the Dominican Republic or Hattie I would save money on labour. do you guys think that would be worth it. it looks like it also will need a dodger setup or Bimini and if I can attach Pics you can see the damages to the paint job from being rubbed and pushed into other boats im guessing. he id asking 27500$ for it and have a offer in but I don't know if I will have much left over when its ready to be set out to sea again. I would preferably paint it a new dark navy blue since it needs a new paint job and do the bottom paint while I am at it. It has a new modern look to it inside but I get the feeling its cheap crap screwed over the old wood. almost looks like tin foil in some places. Has AC and a ol generator and some other things I like but the inside is suspicious also. any help or thoughts would be appreciated. i have attahed some pics.

some of what add says

While her Kevlar hull kept her safe, the mast came down in the winds from above deck and is sitting in shallow water with the furler and shrouds all in tact.

this is what is said to be what she needs but

Hurricane damage and work in progress includes:

~ Missing stanchions and life lines
~ Hull shows some signs of being bumped/swiped
~ Cockpit engine gauge set - received but not yet installed
~ New digital volt & meters - currently being shipped
does not seem to have much listed in the add for NAV equipment.

Again any help thought would be very appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4202750L.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	158126   Click image for larger version

Name:	does this look ok.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	158127  

Name:	looks like tin foil but nav station.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	158128   Click image for larger version

Name:	said to be rebuilt with 82 hours....jpg
Views:	459
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	158129  

Name:	Generator..jpg
Views:	391
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	158130   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre hurricaine.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	158131  

Name:	demasted looking sad.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	158132  
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 18:46   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: help estimating cost of demasted 44 ft mono seaworthy after a demasting ( hurrica

8k usd for standing rigging, that again plus for a new mast, fittings etc, a couple more for a boom if the old is unsalvagable. Labor, crane and misc hardware in the states would be 3-4 grand. Problem doing it in the islands won’t be the labor but the shipping. You can probably spend some time sourcing used spars in the SE states for half to a third the price of new with little to no shipping. This doesn’t take into account if any of the chainplates and knees were damaged; If they were the boat could be unsalvagable depending on the extent of structural damage. And don’t forget the little things that go on your mast, lights, antennae, wind speed, wiring, connectors will all add the overall cost to get it ready for cruising again.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 21:08   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: help estimating cost of demasted 44 ft mono seaworthy after a demasting ( hurrica

Before you take the plunge, read some of the threads about owners who had boats damaged in the storms, & what to look for in terms of damage. Including having a couple of surveys (plural) done on her. As a boat can be "totalled" but still appear to be in relatively good health... until you really start looking into "the little things" in terms of damage. Since it's quite easy to spend many times the initial cost of the vessel to get her seaworth again. Let alone cosmetically pretty.

Imagine if her hull to deck joint is leaky, but appears intact. The amount of time that would go into fixing just that would be huge. Between removing the old fasteners, & many would need to be drilled out or broken off in order to remove them. Then scraping out the old bedding/joint compound, prepping the surfaces for the new stuff, & rebolting things. One section at a time. And doing it all in sections, while having supported the boat well enough so that her shape doesn't change when you unbolt the deck from the hull, even if you only do 5' of this at a time.

Also, that far south you're better off to avoid painting anything dark colors. Thanks to what happens when the sun's rays kiss the paint/gelcoat (unwanted free heating).

Ah, as to rigs. Building one from scratch can be incredibly expensive. It really, really helps to have local contacts & resources, as well as being an expert at scrounging & repurposing things. Plus of course the more experience with this sort of thing that you have, or can borrow, makes things that much "easier & cheaper". The latter being in quotes, as such jobs are rarely either one. You could spend $20k on a rig without working hard, & that doesn't include sails, or possibly even running rigging.

Get a copy of Brion Toss's more recent works on rigging, as they'll help a fair bit. And comb the forums her for more info on the subject. Ditto Brion's website forums www.spartalk.com
Also, one of the guys in the Searunner thread built a new rig for his boat last spring, with the assistance of a great rigger. So he may have some tips for you on this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 21:21   #4

Boat: Hylas 54

An acquaintance replaced his rig on a 38' mono. It was over $30K.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 23:37   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Don’t forget the expense of docking/storage on land that creeps up and up as you experience one complication after another (such as shipping delays, unavailability of skilled labor, discovery of ne problems while you work, unavailability of parts, etc.) I could easily see you spend more than a year’s worth of docking/storage fees if you worked really diligently to get the job done, much more if your heart isn’t in it or if your finances can’t follow.

Don’t go to Haiti; no parts or skilled labor. You need to be somewhere where these tasks are routinely done and the right expertise is readily available. I’m thinking St Martin (if they’re not overwhelmed by their own recovery and boat works), Martinique, or Trinidad.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 03:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

interesting use of tinfoil ! no foil hat needed on that boat!

there was a guy that lost his 60 ft mast in st lucia for his swan 44,had a new one shipped in from sweden...cost was $85k,and this was quite a few years back.

best bet if you are really brave is to build a temporary box section wooden mast or steel lattice mast,rig it with galvanised wire and sail it around untill you find a good used 2nd hand mast and rig either in the islands or usa.

the whole exercise could easily cost more than the boat,assuming there are no other problems,nice looking boat though.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 04:54   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

unless you have a marine refit business you are going to get in over your head and invest more in the boat than you can possibly sell it for.
Take whatever numbers you get to repair and double it, then add 25% and you will get a rough idea what it will cost to repair.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 05:20   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are good condition boats, ready to sail, available on the market, ready to buy today, that are comparable or better or less costly than that boat will be after you wind up spending all the money, labor, and time needed to fix it up.

Put another way, I am a bargain hunter, but I don't see that boat as a bargain, given the condition shown, the unknowns, the location, the need for repairs, the asking price, and the availability of nice boats that do not have those same risks or costs or conditions.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 05:27   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Lucas, how tight is the budget? for a few dollars more you could buy one with a mast, in the US and save a whole load of hassle. This took less than a minute to find.

1985 Moody 419 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

If you can't go above $30k then should you be looking at 40ft yachts?

How far are you willing to travel?

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...m#.WeyQ5WiPIdU

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 05:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
the whole exercise could easily cost more than the boat,assuming there are no other problems,nice looking boat though.
Anyone with a straight long mast in the islands is probably in high demand at the moment. Finding one cheap and nearby, no chance.

Here is another basket case, the lack of interior photos has to be suspicious.

1983 Moody 41 Cruiser Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:43   #11

Well, that should take the wind out of his sails, there right.
Ivansgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 17:38   #12

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I re rigged my current boat but with a serious head start. The boat came with a mast extrusion that the previous owner had found in a boatyard, old but unused. It needed sheaves, tangs, wiring, lights, wire, spreaders, chainplates, and most of all a reconfiguration of support structure. The mast was different than the original in that it was designed to be deck stepped rather than keel stepped. I made a compression post and base and even with the advantage of having the extrusion the bits and pieces came to a bit less than $2000. The real savings were that I did nearly all the work myself. I wish I had kept track of my time though I did not work very fast as much of the project was a learning experience having only rigged dinghies. At the time I recall learning that the extrusion alone might have been under $10k. So if you can locate an extrusion, even a new one you might make a go of it if you like doing that sort of work. If you hire out the work all bets are off. Good luck
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 11:56   #13

Boat: Coast 30

It seems to me that we consistently get several new threads started each week by people who are looking for a cheap way to get into boat ownership.
Especially from those who think that buying old, neglected and storm damaged at a low price is a good way to achieve it. My considered opinion is that it is a fallacy: it can not be done. I choose to use this word because I really mean A fallacious argument may be deceptive by appearing to be better than it really is.

The motivation for restoring a classic yacht has to have nothing to do with money. It has to be all about an emotional commitment to the preservation of history and a committed interest within the museum community. The time taken to tear down a vessel for repair and restoration of parts. Prior to rebuilding is logically more than twice the time that it took to build that vessel when it was originally built new.

Statistically in any given location or years. Dedicated owners pass on from this life, leaving their yachts to find new owners. There are a few that are left riding at anchor with no one to inherit them. or the family members who inherit them have no interest and just want them gone. So possibly estate sales are the closest a person who puts in the research time may come to "getting a deal': However, frequently these have hung around so long without attention that they have deteriorated to the point of write off.

So possibly the true answer is to buy new and pay off the loan. Perhaps the old adage is true. "if you have to ask the price you probably can not afford it' To those who ask what 40+ foot yacht should I buy and how much would it cost for X amount of months to use it, buy an old sailing dinghy learn to sail and come up through the ranks as most of us have. That way you will learn the true answer to those questions for your self.
Certainly you should not try to benefit from someone else's storm damaged loss. That IMHO is disgracefully predatory.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 08:21   #14

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
An acquaintance replaced his rig on a 38' mono. It was over $30K.
I almost bought a boat in Antigua, a J30.

When I was looking at her. the owner wouldn't allow a survey before purchase so I passed. Someone else bought her and raced her found her to be fast, but not as fast as one would expect.

During a race, he raked the rigging off by colliding with a bouy. When he took it to Guadeloupe for repair, the boat he paid $11,000 for cost $30,000 or more to fix, for he found that she'd been washed on a beach during a hurricane, and the core was wet. So the new rigging and drying out the core along with refiber glassing was expensive.

Good luck.
Old 28-10-2017, 08:57   #15

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
There are good condition boats, ready to sail, available on the market, ready to buy today, that are comparable or better or less costly than that boat will be after you wind up spending all the money, labor, and time needed to fix it up.

Put another way, I am a bargain hunter, but I don't see that boat as a bargain, given the condition shown, the unknowns, the location, the need for repairs, the asking price, and the availability of nice boats that do not have those same risks or costs or conditions.

What SH said!

Why by a wreck when you can by an excellent boat that someone already spent a bunch of money and time in.

There are just too many hidden risks like chainplates and others already mentioned.

Insurance companies know their business. If it is totaled and cheap, and tou are not boat rebuilder by trade, don’t walk, run!

Lots of nice boats to chose from as SH has detailed in his posts!

Tags
mast, seaworthy