Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2016, 12:48   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Help a Newb with first boat

Hi All,

Having recently moved to a waterfront home now is time to buy a boat as I have wanted for a long time. I have a very small amount of knowledge and experience so please feel free to speak to me like an idiot. Assume I know little or nothing ( I do learn fast!). So I am looking for a monohull of 25 to about 30 ft to start. Something really cheap, this is maybe a 2 year boat. After that I will know what I really want and spend the money for a more permanent purchase. Besides, I'd rather break a cheap boat than an expensive one.

My criteria are:
Prefer an inboard, diesel if possible
Can be sailed single handed.
Decent interior, otherwise my girl will not overnight on the boat.
Not a major project. Not everything needs to be perfect, but I don't have time for never-ending repairs. I am willing to have some work done to get it set up correctly.

So can you help me out with a boat I am going to look at? I am concerned about the issue with the deck, Core repair? How big of deal might this be? The ad mentions the deck is painted and primed but needs repair? That makes no sense to me. Looks like a good deal otherwise and has most of what I want. I have to see if any electronics are included.

Any opinion on the boat itself? Anything I should be aware of or look for?

https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/5413110596.html

Thanks All!
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:02   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: Help a Newb with first boat

Welcome to CF, Sagablu.

There are many, many topics discussing "first boat, what to look for?".
If you click 'search' in the menu above and look down a bit, you'll see the Google Search option - use that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Something really cheap // Not a major project
Contradictio in terminis.

Define 'really cheap'?
What is your budget for 1) purchasing the boat 2) upgrading said boat and 3) maintaining, insuring, docking etc. said boat? Where & how will you be sailing mostly?

Quote:
but I don't have time for never-ending repairs
In all honesty: boat ownership may not be for you. There is ALWAYS a repairs-to-do list; it never gets shorter.
Old 29-02-2016, 13:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

An older used boat frankly is a bit of a crap shoot. This one maybe more than most. There are a number of indicators of substantial water damage the boat has suffered from in the past. some of which may be remedied, but who knows.

The fact that the deck is prepped for paint is a major issue. Having it professionally done is an expensive job, and I suspect you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself.

The sole (floor) looks like it has or had suffered from substantial water intrusion. Is it fixed? No way to tell.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this particular boat to anyone but an experienced boater, that can do a majority of the work themselves. It could be a bargain, it could also have a negative value the way it sits.

I would really suggest trying to stretch your budget to around 15-20,000. In the size range and price range you can get a much better condition boat wth fewer unknowns.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:29   #4

Join a local sailing club for the next few seasons. You'll have it all figured out by then.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 13:29   #5

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
An older (really) cheap used boat frankly is a bit of a crap shoot.
I fixed it for you
Old 29-02-2016, 13:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
An older used boat frankly is a bit of a crap shoot. This one maybe more than most. There are a number of indicators of substantial water damage the boat has suffered from in the past. some of which may be remedied, but who knows.

The fact that the deck is prepped for paint is a major issue. Having it professionally done is an expensive job, and I suspect you don't have the knowledge to do it yourself.

The sole (floor) looks like it has or had suffered from substantial water intrusion. Is it fixed? No way to tell.

All in all I wouldn't recommend this particular boat to anyone but an experienced boater, that can do a majority of the work themselves. It could be a bargain, it could also have a negative value the way it sits.

I would really suggest trying to stretch your budget to around 15-20,000. In the size range and price range you can get a much better condition boat wth fewer unknowns.
Thank you, this is helpful. Can you tell me what you are seeing that tells you the sole has had water intrusion? This is so I learn what to look for. Why is the deck prepped for paint an issue. Seems to me that is was something that is about to be completed but was not. Am I missing something?

$15,000+ is not an option for now. I cannot justify that for a starter boat. Second time around, no problem. This is my training wheels boat, but I to be useful I do need a certain level of trim. Maybe I am overreaching, we shall see.
Old 29-02-2016, 13:39   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I tend to take a different view than those posted above. If you are only looking for a two year boat. then you can easily stay in the 5K range. I assume you'll be sailing in Long Island Sound and taking day sails in the best of weather. If you only want the boat for two years, who cares about the quality paint job or the condition of the flooring. If the running and standing rigging is in moderate shape and you can enjoy some daysailing along with some overnight anchoring in protected bays, then it can be a great choice.

There are many thirty plus year old 25-30' boats that you can buy cheap as a "consumable" boat to introduce to sailing.

Keep tabs on the safety requirements and maybe buy a towing policy. I'd suggest a liability only insurance coverage and have fun!
Old 29-02-2016, 13:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I tend to take a different view than those posted above. If you are only looking for a two year boat. then you can easily stay in the 5K range. I assume you'll be sailing in Long Island Sound and taking day sails in the best of weather. If you only want the boat for two years, who cares about the quality paint job or the condition of the flooring. If the running and standing rigging is in moderate shape and you can enjoy some daysailing along with some overnight anchoring in protected bays, then it can be a great choice.

There are many thirty plus year old 25-30' boats that you can buy cheap as a "consumable" boat to introduce to sailing.

Keep tabs on the safety requirements and maybe buy a towing policy. I'd suggest a liability only insurance coverage and have fun!
Thanks Hudson, that accurately states my situation and needs for the moment. Appreciate your point.

I am more worried about the glass and core work on the deck, any thoughts on that anyone?
Old 29-02-2016, 16:04   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:

I am more worried about the glass and core work on the deck, any thoughts on that anyone?
Soft spots in the deck core can be structural or cosmetic problems. If the chain plates are affixed to the hull and the mast is stepped on the keel; then, soft spots on the deck are not likely to be a significant problem.
Old 29-02-2016, 16:36   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Hi All,

Having recently moved to a waterfront home now is time to buy a boat as I have wanted for a long time. I have a very small amount of knowledge and experience so please feel free to speak to me like an idiot. Assume I know little or nothing ( I do learn fast!). So I am looking for a monohull of 25 to about 30 ft to start. Something really cheap, this is maybe a 2 year boat. After that I will know what I really want and spend the money for a more permanent purchase. Besides, I'd rather break a cheap boat than an expensive one.

My criteria are:
Prefer an inboard, diesel if possible
Can be sailed single handed.
Decent interior, otherwise my girl will not overnight on the boat.
Not a major project. Not everything needs to be perfect, but I don't have time for never-ending repairs. I am willing to have some work done to get it set up correctly.

So can you help me out with a boat I am going to look at? I am concerned about the issue with the deck, Core repair? How big of deal might this be? The ad mentions the deck is painted and primed but needs repair? That makes no sense to me. Looks like a good deal otherwise and has most of what I want. I have to see if any electronics are included.

Any opinion on the boat itself? Anything I should be aware of or look for?

https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/5413110596.html

Thanks All!
At first blush, that looks like a good deal to me. I agree with Hudson about the deck. And I agree with you it is odd they say it needs deck work and it is primed. Of course you want to get a survey done. How old is the rigging, and how are the sails? That looks like the price is low enough that when it comes time to sell you'll likely get most of it back. It is a fairly responsive boat too, so not bad to learn on. But if I were you I'd also get a little boat to learn how to sail on along with the big one! Little boats teach you faster and with fewer costly collisions!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 16:43   #11

Boat: Bristol 27

If you simply want to learn to sail at this point, get something small and fast.

Maybe a laser or small catamaran if you are in good shape. These boats will teach you tons of stuff fast. You can also see the larger monohulls on the water and choose the one that impresses you for later purchase

If you are not in good shape, get that 25' plus monohull and learn the slow way.

Racing also teaches you sailing very fast.....and it makes sailing a large monohull much easier

examples:

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:44   #12

You need to know why the present owner has stopped working on the boat. If that 'core work' is around the chain plates (where the wire that supports the mast is attached to the deck) it's not a trivial job. Likewise if it's in other structural places. In itself it's not too difficult to repair, if you don't mind a fairly non-pretty finish. You need to get someone knowledgeable to look at the boat BEFORE paying for a professional survey.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:08   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
................... You need to get someone knowledgeable to look at the boat BEFORE paying for a professional survey. ..............
I think this thought from yellowtulip is great advice. You can avoid an expensive survey with a knowledgeable friend eliminating a sorry choice early.
In fact, when shopping for an inexpensive older boat with an expectation of owning it for just a couple years, this might be a time when you can risk omitting the expense of the survey by having the advice of a knowledgeable friend.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:16   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

Look for a Catalina 25-27. Easy to maintain. Solid construction and easy to unload when you are ready to move up. Preferable find one of the last late 80s 27 with the bigger inboard diesel and wheel steering but even the older ones that are tiller are nice. I'd try to stay inboard diesel if possible. They are easily found in the under 20K range. If your budget is well under that an outboard tiller Catalina 25 is hard to beat.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:22   #15

Thanks All,

I do have someone knowledgeable I can turn too, experienced sailor and a marine engineer. I just want to narrow the choices and eliminate the obvious, I can only use that favor once or twice. Besides, having many opinions is always better I think. I may go up a little in price to avoid a lot of work.

In regards to learning, I need a boat with a motor to get out of the harbor. Secondly the water is too cold here for a boat with a "wet" ride for most months. I am a quick study, I will certainly pay what I need for professional instruction. I am capable as is sailing a small boat without issue. Except of course that one time I flipped a Cat in Club Med ( really rough!) I did manage to right it before the little French girl came to my rescue.