Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-03-2016, 14:05   #31

Re: Help a Newb with first boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieblen View Post
Absolutely, sailing with a club is a great way to start, but I have learned a lot about the boats by working on them. I also have foot disease and am looking at the next boat before I get one home. I am also unusual in that I sell boats for more than I buy them for.
My comment was directed at the OP.

Old 01-03-2016, 14:41   #32

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
The extremely dark boards on the sole are a classic example of water damage. It could have happened 20 years ago or last year no way to tell from pictures. But when combined with other water damaged wood (again dark staining) it indicates a boat that has real water intrusion problems.

The core replacement they talk about indicates water intrusion into the core of the boat. Basically the layer of wood sandwiched between two layers (top and bottom) of the deck. When water gets to this wood it rots, and the only way to fix it is to open up the fiberglass around the damage, replace the core, and then patch the repair.

The fact the entire deck has been reprimed indicates the scale of the bad core. Someone spent a lot of time or money repairing a damaged spot this large and then stopped just before the last, and easiest part of the job. To me this indicates a few possibilities. 1) they realized the repair job was defective and walked away. 2) the owner died, 3) more water damaged was found requiring starting the process over again. 4) they ran out of money

Finally the add indicates some more core work needs to be done. This is expensive either in your time, or boat yard cash. It is a structural element of the boat, and sailing without finishing the job is like driving with a bent axle... Sure you might get where you are going, or the entire thing could go pear shaped on the way to get a gallon of milk. The only responsible option is to fix it.

Either way there is a substantial problem there and I wouldn't want to get saddled with it.

If you look at the 4th from last picture you can also see water damaged wood along the outer perimeter of the headliner and wooden cabinetry. My guess is that this is an indicator of the area that caused the core to rot. So roughly from the bulkhead in front of the mast all the way back to the chainplates.

It is very difficult to diagnose these things from pictures, particularly pictures taken with an eye to selling the boat not documenting damage. But the areas involved are large enough and critical enough I would pass. It could be that a fresh coat of paint is all it would take to return her to good condition, but a half finished repair job raises my hackles. Particularly with a new boater who doesn't know what he is getting into.

By comparison take a look at https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/5470383340.html with an asking price of $14,500. Just go take a look at them both and report what you think. I am betting the one you posted smells a little musty has somewhat rotten lines, and feels a little dingy. While the second looks like a very well maintained example of an older boat in need of a good home.

On the second I would probably offer $10k and offer to go to act of sale immediatly (after inspection and test sail). Older used boats can sit for months on the market, a cash buyer ready to close today is worth a lot to most sellers. These boats seem to list in good updated condition at around 15k, with a bottom of $7k for poor condition ones. The one I listed I would place in the good to very good condition, with some nice perks (sailing dinghy, new inboard diesel, rebuilt chainplates, etc).

Yes it is more, but one is turn key the other not so much.
Wow, thanks to you and all for taking the time to provide this much info. I think I will pass on the boat I linked at the start of this thread. Still looking but I may go see this one this weekend. 1970 Ranger 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

It has all the electronics I can want, low hour motor, a good bimini top ( important, girl will not sit in the sun for long). I will do quick look and then bribe my buddy out there to give me his leaned opinion.

Old 01-03-2016, 14:46   #33

Hi, if u plan have something for a few years, u can try a 2 year term boat charter for this period, and join a club to sail as may models u can.

If your kids are into sailing, a smaller 20 ft range with tiller and main sheet can be a good intro for them to go solo dinghy or cats.

If u r not into fixing boats, then the best bet (after u break in the hired boat and learning what are worst repair troubles and costs) is to buy a new boat. New ones should be well-rigged, many parts with warranty. A new boat may get better loan tenure, and better insurance rates. Not to mention the family thrills to decorate a new 'home'. A 22-25 footer will be ideal
Old 01-03-2016, 14:48   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
It's hard to beat a Catalina or even the C & C 27.

BUT, why own if it's only for two years?

If there is a sailing club that has boats that you can use with your membership that would be the way to go.

There will be other club members that you will meet and sail with and they probably offer lessons and seminars.

Why take on the uncertainties of old boat ownership?
I looked at some C&C's. I like the "look" of them and seem to be well equipped. Having trouble finding a clean one still available, A lot listed are already sold.

Although a good idea I doubt I will join a club, there are two yacht clubs right near me, long waiting list, must be nominated by a member, expensive, etc. I will find an instructor and I am sure I will make friends that will guide me.
Old 01-03-2016, 15:14   #35

Boat: Catalina 30

I have a stock reply for "what first boat?"

Catalina 27. They made thousands and thousands of em. The're a good boat. No core in the hull. Inboard or Outboard. They sail OK (not as well as a C&C). Plenty of space below for a weekend. Small tankage

They're cheap enough to be essentially disposable.

Just get the one in the best shape you can find.

And learning sailing? I find sailing quite easy. Docking is hard. Practice fixes all.
Old 01-03-2016, 15:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
I looked at some C&C's. I like the "look" of them and seem to be well equipped. Having trouble finding a clean one still available, A lot listed are already sold.

Although a good idea I doubt I will join a club, there are two yacht clubs right near me, long waiting list, must be nominated by a member, expensive, etc. I will find an instructor and I am sure I will make friends that will guide me.
Not a yacht clun, a sailing club.

The club owns boats that the members can use.

I started at the Boston Harbor Sailing Club.

Google that and see if there is something similar in your area.

Much more cost effective than owning, storing, insuring, maintaining, etc a depreciating old boat for two years.
Old 01-03-2016, 19:31   #37

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Hi All,

Having recently moved to a waterfront home now is time to buy a boat as I have wanted for a long time. I have a very small amount of knowledge and experience so please feel free to speak to me like an idiot. Assume I know little or nothing ( I do learn fast!). So I am looking for a monohull of 25 to about 30 ft to start. Something really cheap, this is maybe a 2 year boat. After that I will know what I really want and spend the money for a more permanent purchase. Besides, I'd rather break a cheap boat than an expensive one.

My criteria are:
Prefer an inboard, diesel if possible
Can be sailed single handed.
Decent interior, otherwise my girl will not overnight on the boat.
Not a major project. Not everything needs to be perfect, but I don't have time for never-ending repairs. I am willing to have some work done to get it set up correctly.

So can you help me out with a boat I am going to look at? I am concerned about the issue with the deck, Core repair? How big of deal might this be? The ad mentions the deck is painted and primed but needs repair? That makes no sense to me. Looks like a good deal otherwise and has most of what I want. I have to see if any electronics are included.

Any opinion on the boat itself? Anything I should be aware of or look for?

https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/5413110596.html

Thanks All!
really huge initial question: do you know how to sail?
Old 01-03-2016, 22:53   #38

Boat: Lots of boats.

Both boats you referred to would be great boats to own for a couple of years. They both look nice (important for the lady) and they are in that magic size range (27-35) that everyone wants. At the price you are paying, you could simply give the boat to a friend when you are done with it and feel you got your money's worth. A running motor would be the only criteria besides a sturdy mast/rigging and no through hull leaks. As mentioned earlier, you don't need a $1000 survey on an under $10K boat. Use the links provided for education and bring that engineer friend. Done. You will be ready to sail by the time the flowers reach full bloom. Enjoy the sailing season. Get ready for warm weather and nice sunsets!
Old 01-03-2016, 23:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Not a yacht clun, a sailing club.

The club owns boats that the members can use.

I started at the Boston Harbor Sailing Club.

Google that and see if there is something similar in your area.

Much more cost effective than owning, storing, insuring, maintaining, etc a depreciating old boat for two years.
That's my sailing alma matter as well.

Boston Sailing Center is another very good alternative as they have frostbite sailing in the winter, very active membership, great management and a wide choice of boats of all makes and sizes.

PS Saw Mark from BHSC at the NE Boat show last week.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:55   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
really huge initial question: do you know how to sail?
Ummm, sort of. I can sail a boat to any practical point of sail and do an acceptable job of trimming the sails. That is about all I know, docking, anchoring, general seamanship, no clue. I see many lessons in my future, quick study.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: