Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 11:14   #1

Boat: Hunter 27
Help -- '78 Hunter 27 w/ bent rudder post/tube DIY questions

Just over a week ago I ended up on a submerged rock pile (insert sad story, boo-hoo, etc.). Fortunately, I had BoatU.S. (Geico) insurance and tow service. Unfortunately, between the rocks and the pull off by the tow boat the rudder tube/post got bent. So I've been researching the DIY options for the fix. I'm hoping some of you that have done similar jobs can help shed some light on a few issues.

Item 1) Complete custom or commercial package price and need

I've spoken with a couple rudder fix or make operations that can put together a whole new system ranging in price from around $2200 and up to $4300. That would include the bearings and all hardware. The question is, if the bearings in place now are in good condition, is there an actual need to replace them if I just put in a post or straighten the existing one?

Item 2) OEM or non-OEM choice and problems

My research here and other sailing sites have found lots of discussion on the type and size of tubes that can be used to replace the OEM part. It has been some good information on the category of steel to use as well as some of the fabrication to fit the specific boat. For those that have used non-OEM (direct from the manufacturer or from a licensed fabrication shop) and especially those that have simply had their own fabricated, were there specific problems that you would watch for if you had to do it again?

Item 3) Converting to a helm/wheel operation

If I decide to keep the boat and do the work on the rudder then I am also thinking of converting it from a tiller to a helm/wheel setup. Has anyone fabricated such a setup, and if so what types of issues are worth considering in the question of yes/no on a wheel?

Thanks to everyone that offers positive and helpful information. I look forward to reading your wise words. ;-)
doc_cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, rudder