Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 14:17   #1

Boat: Pearson Renegade 27'
HELP!

The unthinkable has happened. my boat started taking on water and almost sank while it was moored at a marina. fortunately the staff at Fiddler's Cove Marina (where its located) check the moored boats in the morning and at night and so were able to catch it. they quickly pumped the boat and transported it to a guest slip where they are keeping an eye on it. that being said i need to get this quickly resolved. i was informed that, at the time, there was sufficient water in the hull to have reached the engine so that might be damaged. no fuel or oil leaked out into the water so there is environmental damage and there is no damage done to the marina facilities. i called the staff to ask if there were haul out facilities there or a marine mechanic shop there. there are neither of those facilities at Fiddler's Cove Marina, simply a Municipal Launch Ramp at Glorietta Bay nearby. I am at a loss as to what to do in order to take care of this. i very much want to resolve this issue, i don't feel its fair to let my problem become the problem of the staff at the marina but i don't know how to get the boat to a place where there are haul out facilities or a mechanic. i am open to suggestions from any knowledgeable people. the boat is insured and registered. i asked the staff at the marina if this seemed like an appropriate scenario in which to notify the insurance company as there was possible damage to the engine, possibly hull and contents, but they said they don't think that scenario yet warrants that approach. please advise. Also i live in las vegas and the boat is moored in San Diego. so my options are limited for immediate response.
asfreeasthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 14:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HELP!!!

Tow Boat US and bill the Insurance..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 14:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: HELP!!!

I would certainly call the insurance company, no harm done if not needed, and in any event, they might be able to advise you.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 14:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Tow Boat US and bill the Insurance..
if the boat was taking on water for whatever reason, bilge pump failure, hose failure, seacock failure, etc. wouldn't the act of towing the boat mean it would take on water and possibly sink en route to a haul out? i am unclear on how these things work. thanks for your replies.
Old 06-04-2016, 14:37   #5

Usually the CG or local fire dept may pump it out for you. Are you not there? If you are... rent a trash pump and get that water out. Then find the leak... If the engine got water in it you need to get it cleaned and run ASAP.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 14:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Usually the CG or local fire dept may pump it out for you. Are you not there? If you are... rent a trash pump and get that water out. Then find the leak... If the engine got water in it you need to get it cleaned and run ASAP.
Ok, so the boat is pumped and there should be no water in it currently thanks to the people at the marina. that being said there is no marine mechanics shop on coronado, or i would simply place a call, the boat hauled and inspected. it is immensely frustrating to me and i had not anticipated the boat sinking while moored. frankly it seems the only times one hears about boats sinking is due to a collision or while sailing under catastrophic weather conditions. that being said, i believe i will call the insurance company. i feel ridiculously irresponsible for having been so ill-prepared for this situation. that being said i will do my best to resolve this as quickly as possible. thank you all for your suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If the engine got water in it you need to get it cleaned and run ASAP.
i'm assuming salt water in the engine will rapidly cause significant and irreversible deterioration. basically time to buy a new engine? if that is so, it seems i would be better off filing a claim with my marine insurance policy?
Old 06-04-2016, 14:59   #7

Hard for me to say but they may just total loss the boat I would think. If you can then buy it back as salvage, you might wish you got the engine going... Basically an old Renegade is not worth what the engine will cost... so either way you might be screwed if the engine is shot. You actually have more than liability on it?
I f there is any possibility you are keeping it you should get it opened up and the boat dried out well. A fan with the forward hatch open and companionway also will help. Your bulkheads, cabinetry etc are at risk also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:03   #8

Boat: Ohlson 29

Sorry to hear about your troubles

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfreeasthewind View Post
Ok, so the boat is pumped and there should be no water in it currently thanks to the people at the marina.//i had not anticipated the boat sinking while moored.
Are there pumps going now? Whatever the problem is, nothing can be fixed as I understand it, so she'll be making water still

Could be a through hull (seacock I think the English word is) or something like that. Not too difficult to fix, but I'd call the insurance company and see what their take is, and what they will cover (and what not!).
Old 06-04-2016, 15:24   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The folks at the marina may go in and close all the through-hulls for you. I agree with signing up with BoatUS and ask about getting their membership that gets you the towing you need right away. The marina folks will know which yard to go to and maybe you can arrange to get it towed by contacting both the yard and BoatUS towing, but they will probably need you to be there. Know anybody in SD? If a through-hull is busted, ask about a dive service and call them and ask them to go over and put soft wood plugs in all the through-hulls for you (should not be expensive!)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:29   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Call Downwind Marine in San Diego (619) 224-2733. They love sailboats and will be able to recommend a diesel mechanic and any other pros you may need.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:39   #11

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

CALL your insurance carrier ASAP.

A partial submersion is a covered loss as would all the costs necessary to prevent further loss and preservation of the engine, machinery and interior, and to get your boat to a haul out facility for repairs.

Your carrier is used to claims like this and can recommend exactly what you should do.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:40   #12

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfreeasthewind View Post
Ok, so the boat is pumped and there should be no water in it currently thanks to the people at the marina. that being said there is no marine mechanics shop on coronado, or i would simply place a call, the boat hauled and inspected. it is immensely frustrating to me and i had not anticipated the boat sinking while moored. frankly it seems the only times one hears about boats sinking is due to a collision or while sailing under catastrophic weather conditions. that being said, i believe i will call the insurance company. i feel ridiculously irresponsible for having been so ill-prepared for this situation. that being said i will do my best to resolve this as quickly as possible. thank you all for your suggestions.

i'm assuming salt water in the engine will rapidly cause significant and irreversible deterioration. basically time to buy a new engine? if that is so, it seems i would be better off filing a claim with my marine insurance policy?
So, if there is no water in it now, why did it stop?

Don't you think you should have the situation assessed by someone or take a trip to the boat. How long has it been since you last saw the boat in person?

Hell it could be rain water than has leaked into the boat over a period of time. Was there any big storms in the area recently. If the water did not reach the sole nor the intake manifold on the engine then there shouldn't be a lot of damage at all unless the boat is fitted out with all sorts of systems which I can't imagine on a boat this size.

If you submit a claim or even inform the insurance company there may be long term repercussions however some require notification within a certain time frame to honour a claim.

I cannot believe that the marina cannot recommend someone that you can pay to have a look and see what is going on! Talk to the marina manager or better yet, get yourself down there on the weekend a have a look.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:41   #13

I just filed a claim with my geico marine insurance policy. They are assigning a surveyor and sending me list of steps to follow etc. Thank you guys for all your help. I am hoping geico can steer me I the right direction. I really did not want to file a claim but since water reached the engine I had to notify them in case there Is serious damage. Also, I'm hoping they can tell me how to get my boat to a proper haul out and marine shop. I believe that towing is covered.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2016, 15:43   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I also would not give up on the engine yet, it may not have flooded it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 15:45   #15

I was down there last week. My brother lives in San diego but has limited availability due to being on active duty and having a family. I've owned the boat for less than a month. And I will be moving to San Diego permanently in less than 30 days. I had not anticipated any problems so quickly. I have mainly been taking care of transferring ownership, registerring and insuring it. Also having it transported to a place to be moored.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app