Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 11:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: orion 50
Send a message via Skype™ to andreavanduyn
Heavy Weather Experience in Center / Aft Cockpits?

Who has experience in a 47+ footer aft cockpit in heavy weather AND also in a similar yacht Center cockpit and can share this with us

What after this experience would you advise us to buy?
andreavanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 13:58   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Sailed a 46HR (cc) in heavy seas. No prob. Probably the way to go if you plan on a lot of downwind passages. I also like the better visibility from the cc.

However, mind that HRs have have that amazing permanent dodger. If you make a lot of upwind passages and if you do not have that amazing dodger then you may opt for an aft cockpit boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 15:58   #3

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
What models are you considering?
idpnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 16:36   #4

Boat: Peterson 46
I had days of 35-45ikn on the nose ( Cape York to Cooktown) in a Peterson 46 (cc). The soft dodger gave up the ghost when we cut through swells, but the boat loved it. We met some people who had crisscrossed the pacific in the same model as ours and they went through some horrible weather between Noumea and Bundaberg. The cc boat was fine. They had a hard dodger which is what we will eventually get as well.

I love cc (fairly aft cc) as they are near the clr of the boat = less movement than an aft cockpit. Less distance to cover to the mast for reefing etc.

Its just a preference thing.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 19:01   #5
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
My experience is that aft cockpit is drier when going at all to windward in heavy weather (when it makes a difference). Down wind, I don't think it'd make much difference. In really heavy weather, if you're on deck, you'll get wet.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 21:10   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to watson1990
CC are great

Is the aft cockpit drier ?? prolly a bit in heavy weather. Given a choice i would take the cc everytime. You are not usually under heavy weather conditions and so, you can put up with some wet for a while.
The CC gives you a few extras tht have already been mentioned , but what they didn't mention is how it effects the layout below...I love an aft main cabin ,,nothing better
Had a jeaneau 45 CCfor a few weeks and never had a problem ..loved every minute..sail one or two of each !
No better way to find out what suits you best ...but the very minor negs about the CC are far outweighed
watson1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 23:14   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
You CC lovers have to think again about that argument that CC gives nicer motion. It's the other way around. You are indeed close to the center in aft-fwd direction so you have less motion in pitching. But when the rolling starts you will find yourself much further from the axis and move much more than an aft cockpit.

And rolling is much worse than pitching so CC lovers should not come up with that argument really ;-)

Aft cockpit wetter than CC is a joke, right? Impossible to state that after having sailed both in heavy weather.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 23:44   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Freeboard has a lot to do with how wet you get.

Their is also a big difference between heavy weather and heavy seas.
Being low in a small chop with a bit of a blow and no rain can get you soaked.

Being comfortable in heavy weather to me means staying dry.

In heavy seas it means staying low if the motion bothers you...otherwise free board is your friend and may help keep the green water off your lap.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 23:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvanduyn View Post
Who has experience in a 47+ footer aft cockpit in heavy weather AND also in a similar yacht Center cockpit and can share this with us

What after this experience would you advise us to buy?
Does not matter for heavy weather.

The only technical thing it effects is the steering. You have a longer run to the rudder post with a center cockpit, which can make designing the steering system a bit more difficult.

Otherwise it is an aesthetic trade-off - different outside look (I prefer the aft cockpit look) and different interior layout (more separate 'owners cabin' and often better engine room on center cockpit).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
You CC lovers have to think again about that argument that CC gives nicer motion. It's the other way around. You are indeed close to the center in aft-fwd direction so you have less motion in pitching. But when the rolling starts you will find yourself much further from the axis and move much more than an aft cockpit.

And rolling is much worse than pitching so CC lovers should not come up with that argument really ;-)
I'd agree with that. I've only sailed aft-cockpit designs (Rival 41, Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37, etc) so my comments need to be taken in that context, but I've always understood that the rolling motion in CC designs feels worse due to the cockpit floors being higher than equivalent aft-cockpit designs and therefore the resulting pendulum effect is worse. If you're not convinced, watch the top of the mast when you're sailing downwind!
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
What models are you considering?

47+ made in Taiwan preferable during 80's
ta chaoy / Kaufmann and Ladd designed yachts
Old 06-09-2009, 08:57   #12

47 Passport aft cockpit: WET in heavy weather. Being up off the water has it's advantages unless you get seasick!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:28   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
HCH - extremely good seagoing cockpit - comfy to tuck in, and drains in sec if pooped.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:44   #14
Marine Service Provider

WHAT IS 'HCH' ?
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13   #15

Boat: c&c landfall 43
just my 2 cents, I own a c/c - c&c landfall 43 and I have raced for the last 3 years on sports boats and racer cruisers with low free board and aft cockpits. This aug I sailed my boat from vancouver to san fran and we had some moderate weather for the last 3 days to san fran, 30 to 35 knots and 10 to 15' breaking seas. The one thing the crew were happy with was knowing that because of the higher free board and being a center cockpit none of us were even close to getting wet, especially during night watches when you just couldn't see the bigger waves behind you about to break on the stern. I think the motion would have been the same on either type of boat but being dry makes it fun. you can see some video at sv rockstar.com
limmer
limmer is offline   Reply With Quote