Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 12:55   #1

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Heave To and Anchor

Has anyone hove-to in addition to anchoring, or can anyone give some experienced thoughts to it?
The case would be an anchorage that is more exposed than is comfortable, with strong winds. I thought of doing it once when 35 to 40 kts was forecast for the night, with a long fetch, but I had almost 9 to 1 scope at high tide and I did not try it because I was alone and didn't want to deal with changes in wind direction or tide at night.
Could heaving-to while anchoring make sense if there were a crew, or if you thought the blow would not last long? Would it put more or less stress on the ground tackle?
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:59   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: heave to and anchor

to heave to, and to anchor are mutually exclusive. By raising any sail at all you're putting more stress on the anchor (exception being a riding sail in certain circumstances).
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 13:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Agree.

Heaving to will involve making some way through the water. It is not a totally static situation.

Anchoring prevents you from making way.

Mutually exclusive.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 13:09   #4

Heave to puts you at an angle to the wind. Anchoring puts your bow into the wind. Can't do both at the same time.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 13:10   #5

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

The purpose of heaving to is to reduce headway to the minimum possible while maintaining a fairly stable heading, by stalling the sails and the keel.

By definition, a boat has leeway when hove to: this is not compatible with setting an anchor. Leeway is about 1kt: heaving to isn't to be used for a long time when really close to shore.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 13:16   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Anchoring puts your bow into the wind.
Well that's how it it's supposed to be but the last boat I owned I swear sailed better at anchor than underway.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 13:23   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As stated above, heaving to and anchoring are mutually exclusive. However, some boats do fly a riding sail to keep the bows into the wind. You might want to investigate that.

Ann
Old 09-12-2014, 13:48   #8

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

And, if you want the boat to be bow to waves instead of wind, so you can sleep with less rolling, use a bridle on your main anchor warp, so you can adjust the angle. Like a parachute anchor bridle setup. This is a really usefull technique in rolly anchorages :-)
Old 09-12-2014, 16:55   #9

Re: Heave To and Anchor

Thank you, people. I do see your points. I heave-to quite a bit, usually just to take a break, when there is enough sea room. Ella generally makes from about a half knot to a dite over a knot. I had the idea because heaving-to feels like less pressure than a gale of wind on the boat at anchor. I know that if I just cast off and let her run before a strong wind, she'd go backwards or sideways or frontwards faster than a knot or so But I won't try heaving and anchoring under stressful conditions. I might, in a modest wind, just to see what happens.
Old 09-12-2014, 17:26   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Interesting. That's never even crossed my mind. Might just have to try it to see if it can even be done. I don't think it can because water flow over the rudder, due to drift, is fundamentally necessary to heaving-to. Without that, and the rode helping keep the bow up, and encouraging the bow to move back to windward, I think the boat will just tack at anchor....which could be very unpleasant at anchor...especially when the bow crosses the wind and the foresail is now no longer backed, but trimmed to sail close hauled...and likely will !

I agree with others here, mutually exclusive techniques. A riding sail is more likely to be helpful to you.

Also when wind and seas are not aligned you can rig a bridle as suggested or set a stern anchor to adjust the bow into the waves.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 17:29   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well that's how it it's supposed to be but the last boat I owned I swear sailed better at anchor than underway.
Yeah, I've got a Hobie 33 that was not designed to sit still. Sails like crazy at anchor, but fortunately is amazing when the anchor is up.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 17:58   #12

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

[QUOTE=Surrymark;1696610..........might, in a modest wind, just to see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Which first? Heave to then anchor? Or anchor than heave to? Just typing it makes me smile.

Let's see, hove to my boat forereaches at about a knot typically, with wind just ahead of the beam. So... I imagine if I drop anchor........ it keeps going until the anchor starts to set. Then..... probably.... turns the bow into the wind.... pull me out of hove to....the released main flogs and swaps sides... begins to sail close hauled on the sheeted in headsail while turning on the rudder that was locked to windward. Maybe it will wrap the rode on the keel... that might help.

On second thought maybe anchor first then heave to. How to do that.... hmm. Let me think on that. There must be a way. I've accidently done many crazy things on my boat, not usually on purpose.

....Ok. I've sailed at anchor 2+ knts before. So with main up and released.... wait til boat is at limit to one side. Then unfurl the headsail to windward side and wheel rudder to windward. Then....I guess... boat sits there tryng to forereach against the rode and anchor?

Or does is pull the bow around and repeat the previous scenario? I don't know.

Edit to add... damn that gave me a head ache just thinking about/typing it. And belizesailor types faster than me. We both started with the same word... interesting.
Old 09-12-2014, 18:06   #13

OK OK. I'm still going to try it in easy conditions, and I'll post again with the comical results, if any.
Old 09-12-2014, 18:11   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hmmm...

Seems like what you are describing is a lot like what you do when you sail the anchor out!
I reckon that it would quickly pluck out the hook and set you adrift.

Jim
Old 09-12-2014, 18:46   #15

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Surrymark, not trying to poke fun at you. I appreciate outside the box thinking.

My next thought was maybe leave the rudder centered. Then the boat might stay backed on the headsail.

Of course with my cqr in thin mud that probably means I'd just forereach at a half knot instead of a knot.

Oh, if you want to really have some fun. Forget to lash your anchor and go out in 18 knots, get close to hull speed, over canvased with the rail taking a sip of water. And let the anchor "auto deploy". Did that last week. Best anchor set this month, smack in the middle of the ICW.

Tags
anchor