Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 15:33   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 36
Heat goes up and down on Volvo Penta

Hi there,

I have a Volvo Penta MD7a that starts and runs great but the temperature gauge goes all the way to the red, holds for 2-3 seconds, then goes down to green, stays in green for a few seconds than up in the red! The gauge keeps going up and down specially where the revs are up.
I used a handheld temperature gun on the engine and it reads from 180 to 220 depending where the gun is aimed.
The impeller, sender and thermostat are all new.

Running out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Michael
michaeltayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 15:48   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Heat goes up and down on Volvo Penta

Ahhhh the MD7A.... well, was it ever rebuilt? How does the water seem to be spitting out of the exhaust? I am guessing not too well. A good friend of mine with a Cheoy Lee just went through this. The symptoms you are speaking of came just before the needle finally pegged in the red and only came down as we slowed down. Pretty soon we were doing about 1 knot and it wouldn't come down and we shut it down. Since there was zero wind we relented and called for a tow. Those engines are good but old and raw water cooled, and a black gunk will build up in those over the years. An acid bath run through the cooling system MAY help some, but I hate to say it, but the best way to deal with it is to take the engine out and take it apart to clean out all the places gunk can build up. That's what we did and now it is running quite well. If the engine is running hotter than 145 sea water starts to build up even more sludge. And 220 is definitely too hot! That is probably not the post you wanted to hear, huh? Oh, and he spent something over $1000 on replacement parts in the rebuild. That didn't help.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 16:46   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Same symptoms as a friends md11c. Plus some steam out the exhaust.

Been surfing online today trying to help. So I read that the cycling temp issue is caused by blockage in the ports between the exhaust manifold and the head.

My friend is a hundred miles up the coast and doing a CLR flush of his engine. He just texted a few minutes ago and said the temp is stable now and not rising. But still has some steam.
Old 25-02-2016, 17:59   #4

Always good to check the water intake too. I'd take the hose off the through-hull and make sure the line is clear going in. Then open up the through-hull and let the water come in. (A little in the bilge won't hurt, or catch it in a bowl or bucket. Have a big pipe cleaner ready to poke down in there. Make sure the valve and handle are ok too. My friend's valve was corroded enough to break half-way open too. Of course check the filter too. Hope it turns out to be something simple for you! How is access to the engine in your boat?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-02-2016, 19:11   #5
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 36

Engine spitting out water pretty nicely and more as I give gas.

I did clean up some gunk and build up round the thermostat housing.

Somebody suggested an electrical issue!!

Access to the engine is very hard for a toddler. I'm 6.1!

Access to the water intake is difficult where the boat is (heard of an alligator around)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
michaeltayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 20:17   #6

Not sure if you have seen these:
Volvo MD7A raw-water cooling flush - BoatBanter.com
http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/index.c...hread_ID=55519
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-144421.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d7a-17661.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-02-2016, 09:03   #7

Check the intake strainer gasket and tubing. I had a faulty seal that gave the same symptoms until I replaced the gasket.
rhoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 09:40   #8

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

I've got a MD-11C, also raw water cooled. My guess is, Four Winds hit it right, the water galleries around the cylinders have fouled. Salt gets in there, calcifies, and restricts the water flow. The temp going up and down is the water going in there, heating to boiling and then flashing to steam, allowing more water to go in.

I've had good luck with an external pump, and a bucket of CLR + water. Grab the hose coming out of the engine's water pump and the hose leading out to the wet exhaust, drop them in a bucket with the pump and cycle the solution through the cooling system. I've done it at the beginning of the last 2 seasons, with good success. I don't think this solution with last forever, but the gasket kit is terribly expensive, and the real solution is to get to the galleries and manually chip away at the deposits.

There are lots of posts around the usual site describing it in better detail.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:27   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

CLR is not very aggressive, for AC units I and I believe most use diluted muratic acid, used in pools and cleaning concrete of course.
I think I'd try flushing it like it was an AC unit myself, but above 140 or so degrees, and your building deposits
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:29   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I had an issue like this on the westerbeke closed cooling system. Part if it turned out to be corrosion on the wire on the gauge itself.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:06   #11

Boat: Norseman 447
Send a message via Skype™ to Dartanyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
CLR is not very aggressive, for AC units I and I believe most use diluted muratic acid, used in pools and cleaning concrete of course.
I think I'd try flushing it like it was an AC unit myself, but above 140 or so degrees, and your building deposits
True CLR is not very aggressive and there are certainly more aggressive chemicals to use, I was trying to go with the least potent that would get the job done. There are lots of copper bits on my engine, and I was trying to go as easy as I could on them, chemically speaking.

I have the gasket kit, and I was going to pull it all apart but maybe I'll try to muriatic acid first and see if I can use that time for sailing instead.
Dartanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 11:10   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't think muratic is that bad on copper as many AC systems are of course full of copper too, but it might wreak havoc on aluminum, and certainly zinc.
Change your zincs after a flush with muratic as you may not have any zinc left
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 12:52   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Be sure to check that you have bled the system of air, especially after a thermostat change. Volvos have a small bleeder valve, usually on top of the thermostat housing, but may be anywhere on top of the engine. With the engine running, just open the bleeder until clear water (or coolant if a heat exchanger system) comes out and it quits burping air. May not be the problem, but it is a cheap easy fix.
Mojadito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 13:18   #14

Boat: Sceptre 36

My old Volvo did the same. Turned out in the end that the cooling intake hose was wrong and would collapse under suction causing exactly the same symptoms. Cheap and easy fix.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 16:28   #15

Boat: S2 11.0A

Is the MD7 raw water cooled? If so, it is normal. We have a raw water cooled MD17C in a boat we bought 12 years ago. In a raw water cooled engine you will never achieve a stable temperature. The engine heats up till the thermostat opens, then the cold sea water drops the temperature drastically. Then it repeats. We have crossed the Gulf of Mex 4 times. we've sailed from Texas to the Bahamas and from Texas to Honduras. Our engine has done this consistently with no problems. Make sure your system is clean and all parts are new then establish what "normal" is.
Panama Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
penta, volvo