Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 19:03   #1

Headroom- how important?

I know the true answer is - I have to decide for myself - but wondered any of your experiences?

I'm 6'2" and we've been looking for a boat. Liked a beneteau 31...but have to keep my head listing at 45deg at best. Catalina 310 we really liked-it was better, but there's only one area I can really stand up - and it's not quite in the galley. Beneteau 343 had great headroom, but is really bigger boat than we wanted (both in size to handle, but also looking at all future fees: dockage, painting, hauling-out, etc). Hunter had nice headroom....

Wondering anyone else's experience? How important was it to you?

Brief bit more about us, will expect to do day sailing and some coastal/weekend cruising, typically not long distance/duration. On the other hand, we do plan to build a new house on a piece of waterfront land we own and would probably live aboard during 6-10 months while that is happening.

Oh, couple last things, plan to retire in 3-5yrs at about 65. I sailed for years as a teen...but for now we've been power boaters....but selling that to go back to our love of sailing.

Last thing - (full disclosure) I get motion sick! Generally not an issue, but I don't go below decks while moving on the water!!

Thanks for any insight, David -Tampa Bay
Firefly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:18   #2

Boat: Hunter 33
Re: Headroom- how important?

After going through about a half dozen boats I finally graduated to one that I could stand up in (Hunter 33). Not quite as tall as you -- I'm six ft. My advise is that for your long-term enjoyment of the boat, definitely get one with adequate head room.
Old 10-03-2015, 19:25   #3

Boat: Oceanis 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Porte Rouge View Post
After going through about a half dozen boats I finally graduated to one that I could stand up in (Hunter 33). Not quite as tall as you -- I'm six ft. My advise is that for your long-term enjoyment of the boat, definitely get one with adequate head room.
I also think head room is important if you plan to spend time below decks. If you only day sail, not a big deal… but you if you plan to do weekend trips etc, it starts to matter!
Finnsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 19:40   #4

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Another vote for standing straight... just sold and bought another largely because of that very issue.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:15   #5

For day sails, you probably won't notice. For living aboard and it rains all week, stretching out can be very important. For cooking, and washing dishes, and taking a shower, and shaving, well, just try doing these hunched over. Don't forget that you need to stretch out in bed, so check that too!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:33   #6

Boat: between boats

Last boat but one was a catalina 320. Im 6'1 and had good head clearance in all but the aft berth. Its important but you only need just enough.

One thing to note though is the c320 is beamy espeacially aft like many at that size and that means they wallow about offshore - not good for the seasickness below decks.

I dont easily get seasick but on our 320 i did. If its a big issue for you and you plan to sail in swells then I would rate that aspect above headroom (since the seasickenss meant I couldnt get the admiral onboard for passages and we ended up with a cat = $$$)
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:35   #7

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56

If you can't stand up below, you will always want another boat.
Mal Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:43   #8

Time on board is already harder then life on land so my advice is don't make it unpleasant if you can afford not too - on the other hand unlike a house you don't have far to walk and won't do all that much standing + much of the stuff you do standing at home you will want to be sitting anyway if you plan to be under-way as opposed to in a slip ?
4music3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 21:47   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Headroom on a sailboat is more of an issue than on a motor vessel. My 6'2" son has plenty of headroom.

Old 10-03-2015, 22:00   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Check Hunter 30T model. Make sure it is the "T" model. Think T for Tall cabin.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 23:49   #11

Boat: Cal 2-27

Headroom goes hand in hand with comfort. That says it all, to me atleast.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:05   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"If you want to stand up, go on deck" ~ Uffa Fox

Of course, his designs were mostly (a couple of exceptions) daysailers, under 20'.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:11   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly44 View Post
I know the true answer is - I have to decide for myself - but wondered any of your experiences?

I'm 6'2" and we've been looking for a boat. Liked a beneteau 31...but have to keep my head listing at 45deg at best. Catalina 310 we really liked-it was better, but there's only one area I can really stand up - and it's not quite in the galley. Beneteau 343 had great headroom, but is really bigger boat than we wanted (both in size to handle, but also looking at all future fees: dockage, painting, hauling-out, etc). Hunter had nice headroom....

Wondering anyone else's experience? How important was it to you?

Brief bit more about us, will expect to do day sailing and some coastal/weekend cruising, typically not long distance/duration. On the other hand, we do plan to build a new house on a piece of waterfront land we own and would probably live aboard during 6-10 months while that is happening.

Oh, couple last things, plan to retire in 3-5yrs at about 65. I sailed for years as a teen...but for now we've been power boaters....but selling that to go back to our love of sailing.

Last thing - (full disclosure) I get motion sick! Generally not an issue, but I don't go below decks while moving on the water!!

Thanks for any insight, David -Tampa Bay
For headroom AND elimination of motion sickness, I would recommend a Catamaran.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 17:35   #14

thanks for all this insight! It gives me lots to think about and go on...

David S - Tampa
Firefly44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 18:29   #15

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

I am 6'2" as well. My boat has a flush deck. Even sitting, my head touches the roof. Needless to say it takes some getting used to... After bumping my head countless times I seem to have acquired a feel for the height. Everything I do inside I do sitting. When I want to put pants on for example, I stand in the companionway with the hatch open. I plan on getting a helmet for bad weather days under way.

The lack of height is not generally a problem, except when moving around. For that reason I would say that a small boat without headroom isn't really a problem. A larger boat however would get very tiring moving in hunched over. If it's only your head you need to tilt a bit, I wouldn't worry about it. I'd suggest practicing bending your knees instead.

That said, my next boat will have full headroom, but it will most likely be between 32-37ft.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headroom, import