Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 13:05   #1

Headroom

I'm currently doing research/soliciting opinions on the importance (for tall people like me) of headroom in a cruising sailboat, specifically headroom while standing in the galley. My last boat was a Hinterhoeller Niagara 35, which was quite adequate in that I could stand all of my 6 feet, 2 inch height in the galley without stooping. For my next boat I plan to purchase something other than a Niagara, due to moisture issues I had with the balsa-cored deck.

Can anyone tell me how much galley headroom the Cape Dory 33 and Cape Dory 30 MKII have?

Right now my default option for the next boat is an IP31, which I know would be more than adequate in terms of headroom. But I would really like to know if any other builder built and sold similarly-sized cruising sailboats from 1980 to 2000 with galley headroom of 6'2" or more.

Thanks.
JOHNLAWRENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 14:15   #2

Re: Headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNLAWRENCE View Post
I'm currently doing research/soliciting opinions on the importance (for tall people like me) of headroom in a cruising sailboat, specifically headroom while standing in the galley. My last boat was a Hinterhoeller Niagara 35, which was quite adequate in that I could stand all of my 6 feet, 2 inch height in the galley without stooping. For my next boat I plan to purchase something other than a Niagara, due to moisture issues I had with the balsa-cored deck.

Can anyone tell me how much galley headroom the Cape Dory 33 and Cape Dory 30 MKII have?

Right now my default option for the next boat is an IP31, which I know would be more than adequate in terms of headroom. But I would really like to know if any other builder built and sold similarly-sized cruising sailboats from 1980 to 2000 with galley headroom of 6'2" or more.

Thanks.
Nautor Swan, Baltic Yachts, Gulfstar 50, some Catalina's, Oysters, should give you more then 6'2". Best of luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 15:56   #3

Standing headroom is just as important for short people as it is for tall people, IMO. You'll go nuts without out it. Best place to get skinny on a CD is the owners association forum.

Welcome to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association's Home Page
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 10:18   #4

Boat: Tayana 48

I had a similar issue when we sold our last boat (Island Packet 40) and started looking for a bigger boat. I did not anticipate low ceilings on bigger boats, but found many that did not accommodate my 6'3" verticalism...even on some well named 54' boats.

I ended up with a Tayana 48 (NOT the deck salon) and have loved it. We even met a couple that bought a new Tayana 48 and had the factory lower the sole a couple of inches. That is what you can get with a semi custom builder.

I believe all of the Island Packets will fit that 6'2" height...the designer Bob Johnson is tall so all the boats are too. We loved our IP40. The 40 and the 37 were IMHO the best sailing boat designs from IP. The rest...i cannot comment on.

This is an issue for a boat shopper. There are options around it, but it can narrow the choices...

Our Tayana 48 is for sale due to health issues.

Regards
D
D Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 11:43   #5

Boat: Riva 48

Take a look at a Hunter 31, 6'3" headroom. This was one of my main considerations in choosing the boat. By the way, I did extensive comparisons between the HR31, the IP31 and the H31 of that era. For me, the H31 was much better in addressing my needs and significantly less expensive. Just have a look.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 21:52   #6

Boat: Freedom 38

I used to think how great it was that my 6'4" friends could stand up just fine in my boat until I took my 5'4" self offshore and realized how I couldn't really reach those high handholds in a pitching boat. If you can find a boat with head room, at least make sure it has adequate handholds for your crew.....!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 00:28   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I used to think how great it was that my 6'4" friends could stand up just fine in my boat until I took my 5'4" self offshore and realized how I couldn't really reach those high handholds in a pitching boat. If you can find a boat with head room, at least make sure it has adequate handholds for your crew.....!
If we were all nearly the same size, boat design would be easier! I've never been a fan of overhead hand holds. Not only hard to reach for vertically challenged folks, but kinda bad ergonomics for resisting big heel angles and accelerations. Grips that are nearer waist level are more adaptable to different size crew, and offer better security when grasped, whether up hill or down.

None of this helps our OP! I'm reminded that long ago when I was a high school basketball player I wished to be a lot taller. As a yottie, I'm glad I didn't find a magic lamp and accomplish that wish!

Jim
Old 02-10-2017, 13:05   #8

Boat: Islander 32-2

I am 6'4" and have room to spare in every corner of my Islander 32'!

cheers,
MOCHA
mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 15:54   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard John!
Not sure about the boats you mention, but the old Columbia 43 and 50 had more headroom than you'll need!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 17:30   #10

I don't know about the Cape Dory 30 MKII has but the Alberg 30 has 6ft 2 inches of headroom :-) Similar to a Cape Dory, check it out.. http://bluewaterboats.org/alberg-30/
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headroom