Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2006, 07:19   #1

Boat: South Coast 22 - No Deadlines
Send a message via AIM to liveyourdreams
Head room?

In the next year I will be buying a boat and would like to spend no more than 50,000 in cash on the initial purchase.

The boat will be a liveaboard for about 4 years, then will head south to the carribean, through the canal and on to the South Pacific.

I want a boat that is no older than about 1975, fiberglass or steel. Cutter rigged preferably, but sloop or ketch will do. It will be me and my significant other, who at the time of departure will be aproximately 26 and 24 years of age.

It needs to be easy to singlehand.

I would like a boat no smaller than about 32 feet and no bigger than about 40 feet. Really the smaller the better because of cost and ease, and of course more quality and amenities for a lower price (for the most part).

I would prefer a rudder will a skeg, and a keel setup that would be condusive to purposefully beaching it in order to clean and re-zinc w/out having to pay for it to be hauled out. This is not a HUGE priority, but is preferred.

My problem, however is that I'm 6'3 and there is no possible way I can liveaboard a boat I can't fully stand in.

So if anyone has a few extra minutes out there to make a list of what they would buy if they were in my position it would be greatly appreciated.
liveyourdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 10:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Look on the hultihull forum where there is a thread started by a guy taller than you about the same subject.
Old 16-02-2006, 10:44   #3

I did see that actually, but...

A) He's looking at new boats that I can't afford

B) I don't really want a multi-hull, no offense to those that love them, but I grew up with mono-hulls and I feel the most comfortable with them, and besides that when I look at them in my price range they are ugly and old.

Thanks

Old 16-02-2006, 11:24   #4

Have you tried looking at Catalina's, dreams?

You could get yourself a Catalina 30. Or a Catalina 34mkII. Or the 350. Or the 36mkII. Or even the 387.

They do make 40 footers. But like you said costs? You probably could look around on the internet. Or local papers. And could (might) find Catalina's for roughly what you're asking for that amount of money.

Here's a website link, for starters. To help you look and research into this type of boat. And maybe find what you might want?

Good luck!!

http://www.marinesource.com/builders...chts/index.cfm

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 13:41   #5

I don't think I would consider a Catalina for bluewater to the South Pacific, though great inland/coastal boats for the budget minded, I wouldn't trust them too far offshore.

Boats I would consider would be something like:

Cal 39
Bristol 39
Cheoy Lee Pedrick 36
Allied 39
Pearson 365
Sabre 34
Tartan 37
CS 34

Just some examples, some too be in my price range would need some love, or equipment. Others are a bit older than I'd like. But you get the idea I think

So anyone who wants to add to that list have a go.

Thanks.

Old 16-02-2006, 14:45   #6

Boat: none yet
AHOY!

hi Liveyourdream!
It would be helpful if you try and describe the areas you plan to sail in. Then I could recommend some boats that will suit your needs. I'm 6' 2" so I know what your talking about. But headroom shouldn't be the only main factor in selecting the best boat for you. Supply me with more info. Believe it or not there are several boats with 6'3" headroom below.

fair winds, Allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 15:22   #7

I think there may be some info that you missed in my first post. I will be living aboard for about 4 years, then heading south through the Carib. to the canal, and across to the South Pacific.

Thanks.

Old 16-02-2006, 19:13   #8

I got it...I think

So liveaboard where for 4 years???What kind of environment/conditions and what will be your normal sailing time during those 4 years.
Then to the Carib....cool .....could you give me a some kind of chart..from where to...destination.
How much sailing do you plan on doing when you arrive in the Carib and for how long?
Maybe sounds like I am being fussy..but it can make a big difference! .............................or you can do it on the fly.... eg. just do it!!!
I did and I survived! LOL

Fair winds, Allan
Old 17-02-2006, 06:57   #9

Ahhh, ok. I see what your getting at. I plan on living aboard in either the Norfolk, Virginia area, or in Florida, so good ventilation is a must.

During those years I'll either being sailing the Chesapeake Bay and perhaps a few trips to Bermuda thrown in. If in Florida a few trips to the keys and along the coast. (probably the east coast).

As for the Caribe I plan on mostly just passing through on my way to the canal. In your words my stops will mostly all be 'on the fly', wherever we feel could be a fun place to stop, or where others point us.

We'll be mostly just winging it.

I hope that covers what you need.

Old 17-02-2006, 12:10   #10

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
If you're in the Annapolis area, I would go to the boatshow in October, and take a look at Island Packet and at Caliber in the sizes you mentioned. Many ot the older boats have similar headroom and configurations. Caliber has the skeg you talk about.

I am sure there must be something out there. I love smal boats, and would ideally love to sail around the world in a 27 footer, but there isn't much I can stand up in, and it being seaworthy. Another option is to consider a height reduction surgery -- I am sure they must have that available... I have a good friend who can stand up in my O'day 23!!

Height issue is one of the reasons I am looking into building a Didi 34 -- I can manipulate the height of the cabin trunk.

Other than that you could find a boat which has been custom built by a tall person. So either taller cabin trunk, or lower cabin sole.

I think Heff H might have opinions on your choice, and I doubt he would like either of my 2 actual boat suggestions, but he is good at throwing your assumptions a bit and having you rethink various aspects, which is a good thing I think. You may want to e-mail him if he doesn't snoop in this thread.

Jeff are you there?

Good luck with your choice. It is great to see people who are planning well into the future, and I also am excited to see people getting so much experience on smaller boats. Let me know if you are in the northern chesapeake area before you set off. I always love to get together with other small boaters.

One last thought -- from what I understand, it is a good idea to get started on some rough schedules when you do long distance. The important thing is to consider trade wind routes and times of the year (pilot charts), vs. times it takes you to sail places. You may have to stop for extended times for repairs etc in various places, but there may also be good reasons to stay longer in some places to wait for a preferable season to do a crossing.

Good luck!

Eugene
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 14:16   #11

Hello Jeff H or Gord May!!!!!!

Hey where are these guys when you really need their advise. Both of them have lots of knowledge and info to share!
And gord and I have 2 things in common. We both live in Ontario, Canada and we both are shipless. At least for now!
& fair winds, Allan
Old 17-02-2006, 16:19   #12

I believe Jeff H is out cruising.

Gord is around. But just haven't gotten around to this thread yet? Just be a little patient!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 01:52   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’m not qualified to do boat reviews. JeffH is.
I’ve worked on hundreds of boats (that needed work), but only sailed a few, and cruised 3 (all of which needed work). Anyone see a theme here?
I love boats, but (as a boatright) I don’t generally like any of them. All of their imperfections run together, in my addled mind, and I don’t recall many superlatives.

Allan & I may both live in Ontario; but I believe we’re worlds apart (geographically). I live in the “boonies” of NorthWest Ontario, where we sail South to the North Chanel (Lk. Huron). I’ll bet Allan, like most Ontarians, heads up North to get there.

Gord May

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 06:08   #14

HI Gord!

Hi Gord. Your a boatright..wow! And you don't feel qualified to give your point of view on various boats...wow. Well I think your pics are great and your comments on other threads very informative.
As far as me. Well I do live in Bobcaygeon on Pigeon Lake for now. But have a cottage on Manitoulin Island and spend my summers there. once my cottage is completed I buy what I hope is my last boat. I plan on sailing her for 2-3 years in the North Shore. I retire in 5 years...when I plan to sail to the Carib. Where we will sail for 6 mths there. Return to Manitoulin for 6 mths.
Fair winds, Allan
Old 20-02-2006, 11:38   #15

Eugene,

I actually went to the New England boat show in Boston over the weekend to do just what you mentioned.

Of course much depended on design and build. I went on a Beneteau 346 I believe that I was able to stand up in just fine and was set up perfectly for what I want. Of course I can't afford that boat, nor do I want a Beneteau, but getting on and really seeing what I wanted was a great help.

It had an enclosed aft berth which I thought was fantastic for guests as well at a good sea berth. The wraparound galley was perfect.

The negative was a small V-berth and too large of a cockpit, but with the aft berth I think I would use the V-berth for storage for sails and the like. And with a more offshore designed boat that would have a smaller cockpit the interior would increase a bit in volume. But overall I found that I could very comfortably liveaboard a 34 footer if properly designed.

I also really like having the head aft, though perhaps a hard design to also give a good aft berth, and galley, but it would be much better when in rough seas.

A boat that seems like a nice setup would be the Niagara 35, but perhaps a bit too chopped up to give a roomy feel.

Any thoughts?