Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2006, 13:51   #16

Lot's of options. A quick search for boats older than 1980 32 foot minimum, and less then $50k yields 400 boats.

Allied 35's $19k
Bristol 35's $30k
CC 35's $35k
C&N 35's $45k
How about a Heritage One Ton for $12k?
Bristol 40 for $40k

These are asking prices not sale prices so you could probably get any of them for less.

Fun.

Good luck,

Bryan
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2006, 17:54   #17

Boat: South Coast 22 - No Deadlines
Send a message via AIM to liveyourdreams
Thank you very much for taking the time to plug that info in for results. I hadn't get put in those exact factors and it does bring about great results.

I hear great things about the Bristol's, but i've never found an interior that seems at all appealing. They seem dark and unkind.

I guess that's a whole other topic, but thanks very very much for the time. I found some excellent prospects.

liveyourdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 08:55   #18

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Good luck with your choice!! For what it's worth, if I had the money I would buy a Niagra you talk about. I heard great things about them.

Remember to give a yell when you pass through Chesapeake, whatever boat you'e on.

Eugene
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 07:58   #19

Boat: none yet
Thumbs up Here's a few to consider!

Eugene here some to check out.

Ontario 32 - Great solid cruiser with PHRF of 174 and 6'4" headroom to boot! This boat has a cult following for those bound for the Bahamas! One of my favourites!!!!

Aloha 34/ 10.4 - up to 6'7" headroom, well built and PHRF of 147. worth a look if you can find one!

Niagara 35 - well built cruiser. This comes from one of the best builders..Hinterhoeller (IMHO). A real classic!!!!! A Mark Ellis design from C&C fame!!!! Expensive!!!!!! Watch out for saildrive diesels. Not as much headroom as you may want.

Theres also Tartan 34 &37 and Sabre.

Good luck with your hunt!, Allan C&C Less
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:03   #20

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
I'm 6ft 4" and I fully agree with you - headroom is very important.

We have just bought a Bruce Roberts Spray C45 - Headroom throught 6ft 4" - in the forward cabin nearly 7ft I guess - great to be able to walk around - unlike the Colvin Gazelle we checked out - even a Snow White's 7 accomplises could not fint in parts of that design.

Other Items (Ithink you asked about)
1 Heads Probably
Bath - It makes sense....
Electric Windless
Decent Low Hour Engine
Simple rigging
Good Survey

I could go on and on....
There are many horrid yachts out there - but look carefully and you can find a decent one.

Tim
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 10:04   #21
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I'm bigger than you ... LOL - and believe me, after cracking my head way too many time, that is NOT bragging. I'm 6'6". Believe me when I tell you that I've had to start my boat search many years in advance of my actual purchase - just to narrow down the field.

Dreams? One thing you didn't mention is your budget for buying and then your budget for customization??? If you get the opportunity, I would suggest that you take a peek at my web site ("In the Beginning" section). To summarize that: I spent many years determining what boats would fit my criteria, a couple of years finding one of them at the right price and location, and three years working on it while living aboard and working.

From what I read, I don't think that you are going to find what you want in a boat that is less than 38 feet LOA - and probably need to be at least 40.

Are you a single hander? I sail my Endeavour 43 Ketch single handed all the time (it is actually about 46' LOA). Of course, it took 3 years of sailing with crew to get to where I was comfortable enough to do so.

Good luck, and when you know what your budget is, I'll see what info I have that might match your 'Dreams'.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 18:36   #22
Kai Nui

And Thomas has still not seen the interior of Kittiwake (5'11" headroom). He has sailed on her, just never been below. FWIW, I am 6', and the 5'11" headroom does not bother me for what I use that boat for. If I were living aboard that boat dockside, it would be a problem.
Old 13-05-2006, 19:14   #23
Senior Cruiser

:::sigh::: How SOON they forget - I HAVE been below on Kittiwake - had to, to look at the engine (still not installed?) spaces, and to stash my backpack. Oh .. and didn't we search for a tool one time - A long screwdriver if I recall ... now what was that for??? Hummmm :::running and ducking for cover:::
Old 13-05-2006, 19:28   #24

Not too mention that the wooden peg in the bed on Kittiwake is broken.

Preventing the bed to come out of the bulkhead/hull!!

My feet were squashed up under the wood heater!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2006, 19:36   #25
Kai Nui

OK Thomas, I guess the mind is the second thing to go. Now if I could just remember the first The berth is an issue. Most berths are 75". Finding boat with an 80" berth may be more of a challenge than finding one with headroom. Kittiwake's berth is 74" but the wood stove hangs over your feet, so it can be a challenge if it is not pulled out. The Challenger, although it has plenty of head room, has a 75" forward berth. This is a matter of contention with 6'6" guests.
Old 13-05-2006, 19:38   #26
Senior Cruiser

Not to mention internal halyards and sealions. OYE!
Old 13-05-2006, 19:44   #27
Kai Nui

THe sounds of the ship
Old 17-05-2006, 04:47   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
I just had happened to see this thread. Back to the original post looking for a $50,000 liveaboard boat with more than 6'4" headroom. For the most part you have me stumped.

When you talk about a $50,000 liveaboard you are talking about making compromises of some sort. The obvious compromises would be some combination of an older, poorer build quality, poorer condition, smaller boat perhaps with compromised sailing ability. Sweat equity can help a little, allowing you to buy a boat with aesthetic issues that can hurt resale price but which can be reversed with a little hard work.

Getting a real 6'4" of headroom, and not just 6'4" in some confined portion of the cabin (like under the companionway hatch) in a decent quaility, decent sailing $50,000 boat seems like near impossibility. To begin with a decent condition, decent build quality $50,000 live aboard is likely to be a 38 foot or smaller boat. Since freeboard and canoe body depth is typically limited in relation to length, any boat with signifincant portions of the boat with higher than 6'4" headroom is lkely to have excessive freeboard or excessive canoe body depth or both. To one degree or another both compromise performance and seaworthiness.

Even with all that, I am hard pressed to think of makes or models with that kind of headroom in your price range.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2006, 18:33   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You mentioned a Sabre 34 or a Tartan 37 but at $50,000 you won't get these boats without a lot more money put into them with a lot of hard work. Jeff

You want a lot for little money so at least you are smart enough to see the good qualiites of what you really need for what you want to do. The expectation that you'll get it all for the budget you have is not without a stroke of luck multiplied a few times.

Consider a smaller area for cruising and reduce the need for the durability. learn to deal with less head room or get a whole lot more money. Perhaps something of all the above could get you at least out on the water.

Sailing mostly is about showing up.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2006, 08:02   #30

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Surprisingly enough in 2004 I looked at a Tartan 37 listed for 55,000 in Palmetto FL. Was in good shape, the owner had finished cruising and wanted out. Boat was 1976 if I remember correctly. Headroom was OK for my 6'3" frame.

It may be possible to find what he's searching for.....