Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 05:28   #1

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Haul out in Annapolis

Hi everyone! Our family has recently purchased an Albin Vega with plans to sail off into the sunset this fall. She is currently in a slip in Annapolis, and I am searching for a place to have her hauled so that I can do some work on her.

I am looking for a marina that is cheap (relative to the area), and will let me do my own work. We are from Pittsburgh so we do not know the area very well. I would appreciate any constructive advice on offer. Thanks so much, everyone have a great day.

Matt, Kristin, Jack, and Jill
subquanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:06   #2

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.
Re: Haul out in Annapolis

Annapolis can be VERY expensive, you are paying for the name and proximity to ego alley. I don't think there is a bad marina in Annapolis, never heard that from a soul. Just expensive, you might get a deal.

While not in Annapolis I can highly recommend Old Bay Marina in Edgmere near Baltimore. Probably a shorter drive for you too. The owner Brian is a great guy and great prices. Easy access to the bay and harbor and only ~14 miles by water North of you. He quoted me ~$200 for a in out with a week on the hard. Roughly $200 a month on the hard from there on.

Ferry Point and Fair Winds on the Magothy River are worth looking into as well, we've slipped at Ferry Point and everyone I know that has dealt with Fair Winds likes them, friendly folks the few times I have looked at boats in the yard.

Harrington Harbor in Deale is nice, a West Marine on site and security patrol. The boat I am buying costs ~$200 a month on the hard.

While I love the folks at the old Pasadena Boatel, it is tricky running that inlet in the off season and low Spring tides make a sailboat trickier. Still, a really good yard.

Fairview in Pasadena, I have never kept a boat there but have looked at their yard, they have a great local reputation too.

Ventnor and Pleasure Cove on the Bodkin are worth a call too.

I'd avoid the big well known sailboat marina on Rock Creek in Pasadena MD. Happy to share the name via PM so you can avoid them. There are several other smaller marinas on Rock Creek that are great folks and don't want them to suffer.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Herrington Harbor is good. Lots of trades on-site. Ferry Point is VERY expensive for labor. I don't know if it is an open yard or if you have to use their people. Scott's Marine on mill Creek might be an option. Don't know if he will let you do your own work. It is closed to outside trades.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:19   #4

Boat: Cal 2-27

Young's boatyard

Prices are on his website. It is a working yard and you can do your work
Old 07-03-2013, 07:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Young's boatyard

Prices are on his website. It is a working yard and you can do your work
I can second Youngs too, they are just up the creek from Old Bay.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:08   #6

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

Just so you can appreciate the price difference, a haul out in Annapolis will run you $500 just for the haul and splash. Add on the fees for time on the hard, tarps under the boat, environmental fees and such if grinding or painting, etc. Also factor in when you plan to haul. Some marinas won't haul you until after they splash all the boats stored for the winter because the yards are full.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:25   #7

Try the eastern shore for cheaper rates. You can go to the active captain web site for good info about marinas etc. There are a couple of haul out yards in the Piney Narrows area that allowed DIY at least that was a couple of years ago.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

You might want to reach out to the s/v Velocir folks on their website. They completely refit an Albin Vega and took it to the Bahamas. They are near Annapolis.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:50   #9

Thanks everyone so much for the replies. I had a quote from one yard on Back Creek where we are docked and they wanted $480 to haul and $13 a day to store. The storage fee is over twice what we are paying to be in the water. Young's and Old bay seem much more affordable. I am contacting them to see what we can arrange. We hope to haul around the end of March and splash the end of April.

We actually met the folks from Velocir this past fall after we bought our boat. They are awesome and gave us freely of their time to give us advice and point us in the right direction on some things. If even a small majority of the folks we meet as we cruise are as friendly and helpful as they were we are going to have a fantastic time.

Thanks again everyone and have a great day!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:37   #10

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by subquanta View Post
Thanks everyone so much for the replies. I had a quote from one yard on Back Creek where we are docked and they wanted $480 to haul and $13 a day to store. The storage fee is over twice what we are paying to be in the water. Young's and Old bay seem much more affordable. I am contacting them to see what we can arrange. We hope to haul around the end of March and splash the end of April.

We actually met the folks from Velocir this past fall after we bought our boat. They are awesome and gave us freely of their time to give us advice and point us in the right direction on some things. If even a small majority of the folks we meet as we cruise are as friendly and helpful as they were we are going to have a fantastic time.

Thanks again everyone and have a great day!

Keep this thread alive and let us know what you choose. I did not know about Old bay. I was planning on going to youngs (been there before) later this month to do some work
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I keep my boat at Old Bay and can say the yard is extremely filled up for the winter. The same is usually the case at Youngs too – probably because both marinas are priced so reasonably. At Old Bay they ran out of jackstands in the fall and had to order more due to having so many boats to haul. They usually start splashing boats in early April so it might be tricky getting hauled before then. Still worth looking into though as Brian’s usually good about finding spots to squeeze boats.
4arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07   #12

I talked to Brian at Old Bay and he seemed genuinely helpful. His cost will be half the cost for same service in Annapolis. Going to haul out beginning of April. Thanks again everyone.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by subquanta View Post
I talked to Brian at Old Bay and he seemed genuinely helpful. His cost will be half the cost for same service in Annapolis. Going to haul out beginning of April. Thanks again everyone.
I have known Brian for 20 some years, he has always been down to earth and helpful. While you would not want to bug him too much, the man has a ton of knowledge about boats.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:16   #14

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Try Galesville Yacht Yard. They let you do your own work. They have a good engine shop, good tradesman and a canvas shop.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:43   #15

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
Try Galesville Yacht Yard. They let you do your own work. They have a good engine shop, good tradesman and a canvas shop.
Is Big Mary's still there? Oh I had a few beers there over the years.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis