Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2012, 23:02   #1

Hartley South Seas 45 delivery/transport

Hi guys,

Been lurking a little while and wanted to know if anyone would know what options I would have for transporting a 45 LOA Hartley from Townsville all the way down to Sydney.

The boat yard said delivery would be in the 6K+ range but not sure if a boat this size could be transported by road (my preference).

Plan is to to liveaboard/refit (with my young family)and get my sailing skills up over the next 2 years or so but certainly not confident in sailing that distance with my beginners skill set.

It's a problem I am going to come up against tim and time again as many,many boats are in Darwin, Townsville, Cairns or even WA.

Thanks

Jayson
Jryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 00:22   #2

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: Hartley South Seas 45 delivery/transport

I think you could get a delivery skipper for that much. Might get free lessons thrown in.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 00:26   #3

I believe that was the quote for a delivery skipper, looks like no boat for us at this point until I can skipper it myself on a coastal cruise.

I'm better off dropping 6 grand on my own training than being impatient but you never know s the right boat may crop up locally?

As it is the broker has listed the boat on ebay, I'm not in a hurry to jump into a purchase of any boat without much closer inspection so I guess it's a bit of a non issue?
Old 16-09-2012, 00:48   #4

Boat: 45ft Ketch

With a bit of a search and someone else's timetable I'm sure you could find someone to do it for half that.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 02:30   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

First question is about insurance. I am not aware of any major Australian company that will insure a ferro boat. You may be able to get insurance but at some stage marinas may not accept it.

Secondly why a big ferro boat for Sydney? It's an expensive place and with two kids you may not have a lot of time to work on it. Think $4kpa for slipping (if the yard accepts your insurance), $2kpa+ for a mooring, and that's just the beginning.

It's a long way from Townsville to Sydney, against the prevailing weather. I've heard experienced cruisers describe the NSW coast as having the worst weather they encountered anywhere in the world.

Taking a boat that distance needs two crew with experience, which in your case could mean your wife. Does she know?

I had a look on Boatpoint and got almost 5 pages of fibreglass boats 26' - 30', mostly in Sydney Harbour and under $25,000. Some of these may suit for a weekender. Why not have a look and ask a few questions.

Remember you'll need a survey to get insurance so one of the first things you may want to do is to download the survey checklist from a major marine insurance company and see how a few boats measure up.

The total cost of a smaller boat could be les than a years operating cost on a big boat.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 02:43   #6

Oh all good info there, TBH I have bought many motorboats but this is the first sailboat.

I wanted a large enough one for a liveaboard so a weekender isn't going to do unfortunately. If we are travelling from inland to the marina/mooring then we'll never use the boat as all as it will be too much of a PIA.

I just out of the blue emailed the seller and we just sent me some pics, it looked fine so I thought I'd investigate further.

Wasn't aware of the FC stigma but I am educated now, so I'll be looking at some glass boats and steel only as insurance is obviously important.

It's all on the early stages so far so I guess I'm bound to ask some stupid questions.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:20   #7

The only stupid question is the one you dont ask - it could cost you your life.

You said about learning to sail and i saw this on gum tree and figured it may intest you. I love the old classic wooden boats but would hate to own one.

"I’m looking for people who might like to learn to sail, or those that already have sailing experience and would like to get out on the harbour. I have a classic timber Couta boat that is kept in Mosman Bay and is sailed out of the Sydney Amateur Sailing Club (SASC) also in Mosman Bay. Racing is on Saturdays and start at 1.00pm.

I am an experienced sailor having competed in many international regattas and happy to teach those that would consider sailing regularly. The boat is easily sailed and I’m looking to get out to race other classic boats for a bit of fun. I take a pretty relaxed attitude to the racing and a few beers whilst we sail around are often an integral component.

Drop me a line if this sound interesting to you or visit the Facebook group I have started for this purpose (Sydney Crew Finder).

James."
Old 16-09-2012, 03:37   #8

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Jryder, I'm not out to crush your dream here. I just looked at the Hartley on eBay, if you want an honest opinion, don't touch it! You won't be able to insure it, I live on Sydney Harbour on my yacht ATM, it's expensive, as boracay says slipping is expensive. It's hard to work on your yacht if it's on a mooring, when it's on a slip in Sydney you can't do the work yourself, think $90 per hour for labour!!
Start looking at boats for sale around Sydney, be patient, but don't give up your dream!!!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 03:45   #9

The other little problem is where will your boat be moored. I take it not on a public mooring. NSW is the hide aboard state
Old 16-09-2012, 03:49   #10

No its all good, I'd rather get advice of this nature than make an expensive mistake. I thought it was odd the salesman dropped the price from $34K to $27K in the first email.

The aim is to really escape from Sydney anyway as I hate the place!

Soooo, back to the drawing board, get some crew time and then buy a boat where we want to end up as our cruising base.
Old 16-09-2012, 03:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryder View Post
No its all good, I'd rather get advice of this nature than make an expensive mistake. I thought it was odd the salesman dropped the price from $34K to $27K in the first email.

The aim is to really escape from Sydney anyway as I hate the place!

Soooo, back to the drawing board, get some crew time and then buy a boat where we want to end up as our cruising base.
If i was the broker i would want the boat to go soon, its the "windy" season comming up. lol
Old 16-09-2012, 05:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting
The other little problem is where will your boat be moored. I take it not on a public mooring. NSW is the hide aboard state
I heard they were hard to get in the nanny state but had planned to go a bit further up the hawkesbury but without a boat I hadn't got that far :-)
Old 16-09-2012, 05:57   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Many threads on ferros and Hartleys.
You might want to read and make your own decisions.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hulls-397.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...erro-6738.html
Use that search button for more. Lots and lots more.
Old 16-09-2012, 13:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab
Many threads on ferros and Hartleys.
You might want to read and make your own decisions.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hulls-397.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...erro-6738.html
Use that search button for more. Lots and lots more.
Thanks, until yesterday I had never heard of FC boats being a fiberglass power boater. Thinking it is all too hard at the moment and maybe I should just stay away from sailing boats in general :-(
Old 16-09-2012, 18:20   #15

Jryder! dont give up on sailboats too soon. You ,being allready experianced with fiberglass power boats, maybe should stick to fiberglass sail boats. Much of your knowledge will apply to sailboats. Ferro boats are such a hot button topic that everbody has an argument about them. That is why ferro boats (generaly) are so cheep. You have delt with engines, heads, steering systems, electronics, etc, etc, etc. Just learn to do that with silent(relativly) wind power and some angle of heal.___It really is the GOOD LIFE._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

« Lines | Boom Height »