Hey, guys, I got a headstay/furler related question.
Boat: 1968 Newport
I have bought used Harken
MKII and it is an adventure to figure out how will I put this together with a new headstay.
I used a caliper and discovered the following measures on this Harken
1. Clevis hole opening is 0.38"(so I assume it is 3/8"). I hope this Harken is not metric.
2. I took Drum Assembly aparts and discover a piece of the old wire that was secured to drum by the swageless fitting. This old wire was measured at 0.225(so I guess it is 7/32)
3. Foil connectors. I measured the wire holes inside the connectors to have a clearance of 0.26".
I couldn't find any manuals
on the MKII. I was only able to find the Parts
list. I looked around the Harken website and downloaded a manual for MKIII-0 which is somewhat similar(looking at the setup).
I am also planning on replacing my headstay. My current
headstay is 7/32, however it it old and couple strands are busted.
So I have some questions:
1. Will I be able to fit 7/32 wire into above mentioned foil connectors?
2. I want to take this furler
aparts to clean and lube it as it collected some salt
and . What do I use to clean it and lube it?
3. I prefer to use swageless terminal to secure the top of my headstay to the mast head
. What would be a better fitting to use?
4. Considering how my mast head
is setup(see a picture), will I need to install halyard
restrainer? Such as this Harken Halyard
Thank you for any opinions