Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 16:27   #31

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hardin Sea wolf or Tayana 37

Let the work begin!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:47   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

I have a Tayana 37, but no experience with the Hardin. I consider myself pretty objective and while I like my boat, there are things that I take issue with, too, although it sounds like some of them have been "solved" already in this case.

The pluses for the T37:

-- Does exceptionally well in light air. It's counter-intuitive for some folks here, but she has a pretty generous SA/D, which more than makes up for the modified full keel.
-- Very comfortable motion in a seaway. Hands down one of the most comfortable boats I've been on.
-- Tracks well when sails are balanced. I was on a broad reach this summer in the Chesapeake and tweaked the sails until I was able to leave the helm unattended for a good hour. She sailed herself.

The cons:
-- If yours has black iron tanks, you need to replace them.
-- Chainplates. You need to make sure they've been checked and/or replaced.
-- Weather helm. If you aren't a "tweaker" and reef early, the Tayana can be a bear on a beat in anything above about 15 knots. Bob Perry has admitted that the mast (on the cutter rig anyway) is about 12-18" too far aft, causing "excessive" weather helm. It's tameable, but you have to know the boat.

Having said all that, I would say that it's the better boat, especially given what you've said about the Sea Wolf.

-- ADD: whoops, see you already purchased the Sea Wolf. Congrats! It'll be fine!
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:05   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

neumann..each of the two boats sails differently and has a different ride than the other....is same as saying you r corvette handles same as my buick le sabre.
both are good if not excellent boats and do what they were designed to do .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2014, 12:36   #34

Boat: Still saving up for the next one!

Hi Shanty Crew,

Have been following your thread with great interest, but didn't feel qualified to comment as I am not an owner of either yacht.
Am hoping to buy a yacht soon and as a lover of classic sailboats had also narrowed my choice down to a Tayana (or lookalike) or a Hardin Sea Wolf 41.
I'd just like to say that in my opinion you made the best choice as you intend to liveaboard for a long period and consequently the larger cockpit of the Hardin will be a major plus for entertaining and relaxing while you soak up the sun and scenery.

Please could you round off your thread by giving your impression of the Hardin and comment on your decision.

Congratulations and happy sailing!
Freddy_Vagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 13:25   #35

Hey guys, we own and live on a seawolf in the BVI. Unfortunately we made every mistake in the book on it and purchased one that had just done a three year circumnavigation. A year down the line and the mast pretty much snapped in two, rotten through at the spreaders! We also underestimated the 'leaky teaks' deck on ours and believe me they DO leak! Overall I'd say they are beautiful boats but you really have to know how to maintain/upgrade them. We've learnt a hell of a lot from ours but as newbies to sailing wouldn't recommend it unless you're a carpenter/marine engineer by trade. Just our thoughts as a couple who went with our hearts and the romance of the boat! I'm sure you'll do it anyway, we did ;-)!

I now understand why wooden masts/decks are. Considered a no no for most sailors... Beautiful boats though...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
odprew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 14:09   #36

This thread is over a year old.......

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tayana 37