Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 15:46   #211

Boat: Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39
Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

Here's a pic of mine that was built by the previous owner.

montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 15:54   #212
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

MONTIGRE,

Thanks for adding your photo to the mix.

From what I can see, I like the look of your Hard Dodger.

It looks like you have very good visibility forward, and I like the varnished look (wood showing) on the interior of the dodger. Looks good.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 16:16   #213

Boat: Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39

Thanks, Steady. He built it out of oak and it is varnished. The windows are Isinglass surrounded by Sunbrella material. There are ss handholds on either side of the top which is made out of Sunboard. The visibility is fantastic and it will easily hold the weight of an adult, so placement of future solar panels will be a non-issue. ;-)
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 16:19   #214
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post
Thanks, Steady. He built it out of oak and it is varnished. The windows are Isinglass surrounded by Sunbrella material. There are ss handholds on either side of the top which is made out of Sunboard. The visibility is fantastic and it will easily hold the weight of an adult, so placement of future solar panels will be a non-issue. ;-)
Sounds nice!

Post some more photos from other angles (POV) when you get a chance. Give us a 360 look.

At a glance, I thought it had hard glass.
Old 16-08-2017, 12:07   #215

Boat: Charger 33 (Angelo Lavranos)

First if all what a great reading to see many perspectives and different approaches to the subject. Anyway last year I decided to replace my old shaggy canvas dodger which was functional, but ugly as it was. Also I wasn't happy with the height as the end section were lower then the front, so get through on the companionway was a mission even in the marina. Anyway I choose the hard version in various reasons. Racing, not an issue I don't like it, other than that sailing here, coast of NZ is quite wet most of the time, so a good shelter is essential in my point of view.
Design. I have to admit, I thought "why people doing these ugly, bulky dodgers on boats, especially small boats... need to think, and make it fit to the boat lines". Well... this is not that simple even you make drafts and photoshop pictures as that will not give you the feeling of it at all. So I spend quite a bit of time to go through the design, technical bits and pieces and decided about the material what I want to use (purely to keep the weight low).
I ended up to build a very impressive dodger (at least to my eyes) and the day came when I put it to the boat at the first time, to trim the edges before painting it. Here is the result, and this is the point when I started to appreciate all attempt to build hard dodger, also my opinion softened a lot about pictures and solutions what I seen.
Here is the result.
https://goo.gl/photos/dfhvAqp1M4XkCrbw8
https://goo.gl/photos/8K4RpuAyoXM22BP9A
https://goo.gl/photos/MyDo5Pn8x2YYwXVRA
nagy592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:32   #216

Boat: J/42

Wow! That looks just like my drawings! Good job. (Drawings are the easy part.)
I had sort of been thinking of wimping out and making the top a shallow "peak" instead of a curve, since I sorta planned to put a couple of small flat solar panels on it anyway.

Actually, my drawing extends about a foot farther aft, to give the helmsman more shelter. How did you decide on that particular length?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:41   #217

Boat: Colegate 26

Looks like a great build! Did you consider moving the mainsheet boom attachment point aft and extending the hard dodger roof aft?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 12:44   #218

Boat: J/42

Ah... I missed the mainsheet in there. Your backstay tackle looks like my mainsheet.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 13:05   #219

At the moment I still have a bit of time (at least before I fiberglass it to the cabin top) to make some changes. One definitely on the game to Try to lower it a bit. Approximately 50mm could be done without any hassle and that could make a difference in terms how is looks like (it seems a little bit too toll but when you in the cockpit it feels OK). The other consideration is move it aft. I definitely can, with a small shift on the tackle point of the main sheet on the boom, but the original concept was cover the companionway. The longer overhang or a potential bimini is a great feature when someone spend lots of time in the marina in certain direction. On the go is obvious even 100 mm doesn't make a huge difference because of the airflow. By experience approximately a meter behind the dodger is reasonably dry and sheltered, also on anchor or mooring the boat tending to point to the wind and that is almost a same effect. I expect a bit of exposure on the sides as I had to keep clearance to the downwind main sheet.
One thing which is untaught yet, is downwind sailing in rain but I believe this is almost impossible to build hard dodger to cope with this.
By the way, here is more pictures about the process.
Old 16-08-2017, 13:11   #220

Ok I forgot about the link. Here it is.
https://goo.gl/photos/3yTgTugugNNn4K719
Old 16-08-2017, 15:04   #221

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagy592 View Post
At the moment I still have a bit of time (at least before I fiberglass it to the cabin top) to make some changes. One definitely on the game to Try to lower it a bit. Approximately 50mm could be done without any hassle and that could make a difference in terms how is looks like (it seems a little bit too toll but when you in the cockpit it feels OK). The other consideration is move it aft. I definitely can, with a small shift on the tackle point of the main sheet on the boom, but the original concept was cover the companionway. The longer overhang or a potential bimini is a great feature when someone spend lots of time in the marina in certain direction. On the go is obvious even 100 mm doesn't make a huge difference because of the airflow. By experience approximately a meter behind the dodger is reasonably dry and sheltered, also on anchor or mooring the boat tending to point to the wind and that is almost a same effect. I expect a bit of exposure on the sides as I had to keep clearance to the downwind main sheet.
One thing which is untaught yet, is downwind sailing in rain but I believe this is almost impossible to build hard dodger to cope with this.
By the way, here is more pictures about the process.
Looks likes a very clean job. Lowering a little would be an improvement in my eye. Also, if you could add something to the side panel that has the same line as angle on the aft edge of your cabin side port it would flow better. If the dodger side port, side aft edge or even just a side handrail or paint stripe followed the same line it might flow better to the eye on the side view. Just a thought.
Old 16-08-2017, 16:19   #222

Thanks Paul, yes I was thinking to add a bit of "texture" to the side to make it more part of the boat but that would be done when I do the attach work. That is the most difficult part in my terms as very hard to make it visually work together. Even the expensive (large) new boats with hard dodger looks a bit odd to the eye. Small boats are even worst. I know it now, just because of the dimensions, very easy to mess up the proportions and and the balance of lines so I have to sleep on it.
Old 16-08-2017, 17:11   #223

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Here is my hardtop dodger

Building it is documented at:

Building a hard top dodger
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 17:41   #224
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

NAGY592,

I like what you made. I think it looks very nice (even in the unfinished state). Good viewing through the large clear parts. Nice lines. I would see that as a valuable improvement to the boat.

Thanks for adding it to the mix in this thread.
Old 16-08-2017, 17:42   #225
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

PCMM,

That is nice looking, and the best I have seen on a Morgan OI41.
Well done.

Thanks for adding the link to your build description too.

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood

« Amel manuals | - »