Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 11:31   #196
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hard Dodger (Sprayhood) Illustrated Guide - Examples, Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
That's the first time I've been called that! For more pictures:

2003 Island Packet 485 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Nobody buy this boat before I get a chance to look at it!
Oops! My apology! I must have been thinking of "Hard Rock" when I thought of "Loud Music." My fault, short term music memory hiccup.

Thanks for posting the photo of the dodger, in the other thread, I simply wanted the readers of this thread to see it too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 05:45   #197

Boat: Colegate 26

This one was posted on www.reddit.com/r/sailing

Not terribly attractive or functional, but likely cost effective.

Incidentally, it also appears the boom is hanging on a ball joint. I've never seen that before.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 11:00   #198

Hooked had the dodger remodel finished a few months ago. The hard dodger, done in the mid 90s, is made out of fiberglass foam sandwich and it had aged smoked flexi glass. It was designed by a naval architect in Washington (retired/out of business).
There is also a hard bimini.

With the remodel we extended the bimini canvas/shade to reach the dodger. The dodger had the five small fixed windows and those were enlarged and also a large top one was added (to be able to see sail trim and wind direction better when sitting up against it or standing in the companionway)
Here are two remodeled pics (I think there are more in the for sale ad?).

You can see the before in this older video: https://youtu.be/OKeCgR4d5H8
Click image for larger version

Name:	1492969778021.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	146106

Name:	1492969798637.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	146107

Here are two pics of the remodel (there may be more in the new ad?)

At first I didn't like it. I thought it was too spherical and too small for 43'. However, it's actually pretty ideal:
very low windage for a dodger (aft cockpit helps of course), not too high for shorter skippers and it's deep enough there is a ton of usable space next to the wench for gear or meals/drinks even when underway (she's stable at 13'3"B)
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 12:44   #199

Boat: Colegate 26

I like that the forward window is large, giving a big unobstructed view looking forward.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 14:04   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I like that the forward window is large, giving a big unobstructed view looking forward.
Thanks. Yes if you looked at the original (in the youtube vid) you'll see how much bigger and better it is. Much much better visability.
Also it allows great light, usually without wind, good for growing herbs or I recharge solar lights there too.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 07:39   #201
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saw this in a sale listing today.

The Vagabond 47 is one of my favorite to see boats, because of its design. I seriously considered buying one in the 1980s. They are roomy, look salty, have Teak Decks and bow sprits.

They look nice under sail.

This one shown in the photos is now for sale, with an asking Price of $160k, OBO.

My reason for posting the photos in this thread is because this boat's previous owner had installed several aluminum features, most notably the aluminum two tiered Hard Dodger shown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3846.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	149901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3844.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	149902  

Name:	IMG_3845.JPG
Views:	430
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	149903  
Old 14-06-2017, 07:55   #202

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
...owner had installed several aluminum features, most notably the aluminum two tiered Hard Dodger shown.
An atrocity.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 16:35   #203

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
An atrocity.
For once, TN, we agree on something! That is perhaps the most egregiously ugly addition to a boat that I have ever seen... at least for one that appears to have been professionally built. Not only does it spoil the plan view of the boat, but it appears to have compromised the main boom angle. I wonder how the in mast furling works with the boom cocked up like that?

I hope that I've not offended anyone by the above comments, but that is my honest reaction. YMMV!!

Jim
Old 15-06-2017, 16:42   #204

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For once, TN, we agree on something!...

I must be slippin'.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 21:19   #205

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, everybody,

I've just finished reading the whole thread (huff, puff) and just want to draw everyone's attention back to the Allures 52. You notice they have made a downwind rain awning flap for the port side. This is a design feature we built in to our dodgers for a long time, and if you are forced to sail a lot in rain, it is really nice to be able to snuggle into a dry place, and only get wet when you have to. It helps confine water above decks.

If you have a cloth dodger, you can sew a 1/2 zipper onto the dodger's aft edge, use a flap to protect the zip teeth, and then zip in a full width downwind awning. Ours has side curtains port and stbd, then 3 zips with double pulls, at the inner coaming edges and one in the center. It allows most combinations.

We had a hard dodger built for our first Insatiable, it came out 2 " lower than the cloth predecessor, and we did not have the front opening, that was all formed perspex (acrylic). We installed a hatch in the center, forward, for cockpit ventilation, and it was successful at that. If you have a hard dodger and want to install a downwind protector, one way is to install bolt rope track, and build your clears onto a bolt rope that you just slide in.

A final comment on the tall dodger with the center hand rail. Too bad we don't have access to the owner to explain that, but one thing did occur to me, if you wanted to run a jackline down the center of the deckhouse to the mast, then that hand rail is perfectly placed to get you back around and into the cockpit.

Ann
Old 16-06-2017, 11:15   #206
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, everybody,

I've just finished reading the whole thread (huff, puff) and just want to draw everyone's attention back to the Allures 52. You notice they have made a downwind rain awning flap for the port side. This is a design feature we built in to our dodgers for a long time, and if you are forced to sail a lot in rain, it is really nice to be able to snuggle into a dry place, and only get wet when you have to. It helps confine water above decks.

If you have a cloth dodger, you can sew a 1/2 zipper onto the dodger's aft edge, use a flap to protect the zip teeth, and then zip in a full width downwind awning. Ours has side curtains port and stbd, then 3 zips with double pulls, at the inner coaming edges and one in the center. It allows most combinations.

We had a hard dodger built for our first Insatiable, it came out 2 " lower than the cloth predecessor, and we did not have the front opening, that was all formed perspex (acrylic). We installed a hatch in the center, forward, for cockpit ventilation, and it was successful at that. If you have a hard dodger and want to install a downwind protector, one way is to install bolt rope track, and build your clears onto a bolt rope that you just slide in.

A final comment on the tall dodger with the center hand rail. Too bad we don't have access to the owner to explain that, but one thing did occur to me, if you wanted to run a jackline down the center of the deckhouse to the mast, then that hand rail is perfectly placed to get you back around and into the cockpit.

Ann
Ann,
That is a very good post. Thanks for adding your tips and advice to this thread.

Since I intended this thread to be illustrated as much as possible, I encourage you to post a photo of your dodger with downwind panels, so others can see. Your description is clear, but I find that photos often add something more to the learning and help others visualize.

Thanks!
Old 16-06-2017, 20:06   #207

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Ann,
That is a very good post. Thanks for adding your tips and advice to this thread.

Since I intended this thread to be illustrated as much as possible, I encourage you to post a photo of your dodger with downwind panels, so others can see. Your description is clear, but I find that photos often add something more to the learning and help others visualize.

Thanks!
Thanks for the kind words, Steady. Sorry, no pics because (a) the clears are all cloudy from water absorption right now (it's been raining for the last 3 weeks or so), and (b), installations are so variable, it is the cockpit geometry that determines the side curtain shape, because one has to be able to make the full circle when using the winch handle. This boat is a one off, and so it won't generalize well.

Ann
Old 18-06-2017, 12:32   #208

Boat: Beneteau 393

New to posting reading and getting info for the past year.
Moving and retiring to the Ionian Lefkas greece to be exact. Comfortable in motorized boats but always wanted to sail the Mediterranean. Both my wife and I will get proper training and will take this slow. My dilemma is I think I like the Dufour atoll43 I find it ideal for med cruising which finally brings me to this thread what's the opinions on this sail boat and look. Little on internet mostly negative

Zavman
zavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 13:41   #209
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavman View Post
New to posting reading and getting info for the past year.
Moving and retiring to the Ionian Lefkas greece to be exact. Comfortable in motorized boats but always wanted to sail the Mediterranean. Both my wife and I will get proper training and will take this slow. My dilemma is I think I like the Dufour atoll43 I find it ideal for med cruising which finally brings me to this thread what's the opinions on this sail boat and look. Little on internet mostly negative

Zavman
Howdy Zavman!

Welcome aboard CF.

I see this is your first post, and I understand you may be unfamiliar with where you can get a good response to your questions.

I have started a new thread (topic) in this same "Monohull Forum" in order to focus attention on the Dufour Atoll 43. I did this after I did a search of the CF archives. I did not find much on that boat design in CF, so a new thread or topic may bring in some more comments.

Since you are researching that boat, I encourage you to add some data, excerpts from boat reviews you find (Robert Perry reviewed the Atoll 50), and any additional data or your own personal observations if you have boarded that boat or sailed on them.

Here is a link to get you started. Be aware it may take a few days or weeks before other CF Members see it and post their own comments. So, I encourage you to ADD something to it yourself, and subscribe to that thread so you see what develops over time.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-186503.html

Good luck on your boat hunt or choice.
I hope this helps you.
Old 22-06-2017, 15:35   #210
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Sailors!

"Spray Be Damned! We are going to windward!"

Show Your Hard Dodger Boat (HDB) Sailing!

Now that the summer sailing season has started in North America, I think it is time for this thread to show some Hard Dodger Boat (HDB) in the act of sailing!

Please post a photo of YOUR boat sailing, or of your favorite Hard Dodger Boat model sailing.

Whether it is your own Pride and Joy, or your Dream Boat, let's show the CF members what makes the Hard Dodger Boats so special.

Perhaps you have a photo of your Hard Dodger Boat Boat going to windward on a blustery day with spray causing a rainbow over the cockpit. Or a photo showing your boat's Hard Dodger being built. Or showing your boat's Hard Dodger special features or details. Or a photo showing some of the crew taking shelter behind the Hard Dodger. Show us.

Let's put in some more photos to illustrate the Hard Dodger Boat world here in this thread.

IF you don't have a photo of your own boat sailing, then do a Google image search and find a sistership. Or post a photo of another Hard Dodger Boat you admire.

And, if you have been doing some cruising on your Hard Dodger Boat, take a photo from your blog or own site and share it here, with some comments about what you liked about your boat on your cruise. Tell others about YOUR boat or your model or why you added a hard dodger to your boat. Post a link to your blog if you have one.

Share your love of Hard Dodgers on Boats.

Let's see some sails! Let's see some boats!

Tags
canvas, dodger, hardtop, Sprayhood

« Amel manuals | - »