Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-03-2017, 16:00   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Hard dinghy up front, How do you deal with the issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A comment for all of the <30 foot boat shown with hard dinks on the foredecks: Do you really go to sea like that? One boarding wave and I'd expect some serious damage to dink or to the yacht, or simple loss of dinghy. Especially iin the case of the Coronado 25 depicted... wow, I can't imagine going out of the harbour like that!

When I opted for an inflatable tender for voyaging in my Yankee 30, I accepted the poor rowing performance to be sure that it was still with me when I reached my destination.

Jim
I use an inflatable now but would have no issues with a small hard dink on my bowdeck . ( love.flush deck boats)

Old 19-03-2017, 16:05   #17

Boat: Pearson 28-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Rowed just fine . When its assembled it is just like any other 7ft pram. Im sure it would even take a small (2horse) outboard motor or electric troller.
Thanks! Should be a fun project for me!

Old 19-03-2017, 16:05   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

If you've got a large cockpit, then one option is to put the nesting dink overtop of the aft half of it, facing downwards of course. And probably athwartships. Which, if you've a tiller there'll be no helm mod's needed. But for a wheel, you'd want to move the pedestal forward a bit. Which I prefer anyway, as then you get some protection from the dodger when steering. Unlike when the helm's all the way aft. I've never figured that one out, other than that a big wheel is food for the egos of some.

So obviously if you've a T-shape cockpit, this would mean switching to a smaller wheel. But that's a small price to pay given the other advantages. And I tend to prefer tillers anyway. It makes it so much easier to shorthand/singlehand the boat so long as you've a tiller extension. At least when the AP/Vane isn't driving. Since you can steer from most anywhere in the cockpit, & quite a large number of spots that aren't.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:34   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks! Should be a fun project for me!
Bit of advice definitely build the entire boat before cutting it into the three separate parts.
When you start it pm me if you have any questions.
Old 19-03-2017, 17:28   #20

Boat: Pearson 28-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Bit of advice definitely build the entire boat before cutting it into the three separate parts.
When you start it pm me if you have any questions.
Thanks! This will be my first build, so I'm sure I'll likely have a couple ... Few projects to finish up on the big boat first though, so still months away from taking on the dinghy build.
Old 19-03-2017, 17:30   #21
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Thanks! This will be my first build, so I'm sure I'll likely have a couple ... Few projects to finish up on the big boat first though, so still months away from taking on the dinghy build.
Happy to help any way I can .
Old 20-03-2017, 10:13   #22

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A comment for all of the <30 foot boat shown with hard dinks on the foredecks: Do you really go to sea like that? One boarding wave and I'd expect some serious damage to dink or to the yacht, or simple loss of dinghy. Especially iin the case of the Coronado 25 depicted... wow, I can't imagine going out of the harbour like that!

When I opted for an inflatable tender for voyaging in my Yankee 30, I accepted the poor rowing performance to be sure that it was still with me when I reached my destination.

Jim
A fair point Jim, but with my inexperience I have no intention of going anywhere that I might get waves crashing over my bow, and if I accidentally find myself in such a situation, by the time I get back to shelter I'll probably be so shook up that I won't notice the dinghy is missing.

There's enough sailing along this coast, so that I won't have to lose sight of land on all sides ... usually I "put to sea" with the dink in tow ... maybe with a few more miles behind me I'll be ready for boarding waves.
Old 20-03-2017, 10:39   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I built a pram style dingy out of epoxy, kevlar, and balsa core. Weights only 44 pounds and fits perfectly on the foredeck. It is so light I don't even have to use a halyard to get it on deck. makes a great rowing dink and handles my 2 hp honda very nicely.
Old 20-03-2017, 14:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Shannon 38

I am having a similar but slightly different quandry and would love to have some thoughts on this. I am dealing with a 38 footer but it is a cutter and my foredeck is occupied by my life raft. I think there is room for something like an 8" dyer dhow behind the mast but am concerned with getting it on and off the boat when shorthanded. I view cruising with a towed dinghy or with a dinghy raised on davits to be hazardous. Does anyone have a suggestion other than a rollup?
Old 20-03-2017, 14:46   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post
I am having a similar but slightly different quandry and would love to have some thoughts on this. I am dealing with a 38 footer but it is a cutter and my foredeck is occupied by my life raft. I think there is room for something like an 8" dyer dhow behind the mast but am concerned with getting it on and off the boat when shorthanded. I view cruising with a towed dinghy or with a dinghy raised on davits to be hazardous. Does anyone have a suggestion other than a rollup?
I had an 8 ft Dyer on my 30 ft boat. They are good little dingys but they are just that.... LITTLE. With a bridle you should be able to get it on and off. But personally, 2 of us in the 8ft dyer was marginal in a wind chop. There were times I wasnt sure if we were going to get swamped or not trying to get back to the boat. The Dyer beat hell out of the sides of the mothership also when tethered overnite.
There's a reason most use inflatables; stable to a fault, load carrying, non damaging, easy to get in from the water.
If I hadn't had good inflatables and engines I would probably have missed 50% of the "wild" stuff I was looking for, tethered close to the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 16:28   #26

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematon785 View Post
My plan incudes a basic hard dinghy, with oars. I am also looking very closely at 30 foot boats, to get on with sailing as soon as possible, because it is such a drop in cost compared to 35 foot Will I just eventually realize the inflatable and outboard is the only way to go at this length of mothership? should I avoid the time and money waste of messing with the hard dinghy?.........I have never seen a dinghy with a removeable transom, but this would allow it to nest very nicely right over the cabin trunk rather than precariosly on top. What is the reason this has not been tried more often? I like simple and tough, but this hard dinghy thing does not seem so simple the more I look at it. I guess my dream of an ugly beater dinghy with no outboard not giving me problems or being a target for theft may just be a dream.
How about a hard dinghy in two parts ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HalfDinghy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	143583   Click image for larger version

Name:	2HalfsDinghy_04.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	143584  

Name:	2HalfsDinghy_03.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	143585   Click image for larger version

Name:	2HalfsDinghy_02.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	143586  

Name:	2HalfsDinghy_01.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	143587   Click image for larger version

Name:	HalfsDinghy.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	143588  

Old 20-03-2017, 21:52   #27

Boat: Bavaria 49 Nikka

I carried an 8 foot Sabot sailing dingy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot_(dinghy) for years on the foredeck of my 30 foot Easterly EASTERLY 30 (SMITH) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com. My children all learnt to sail on it, we loved it and it rowed well. But it was a serious PITA in all other ways. It covered the forward hatch, it made the anchor well difficult to access, it loved catching my genoa sheet halfway through a tack; in a decent smash to windward it would bash about no matter how tightly I had tied it down. When we put it over the side at anchor it would sneak up on us and find the one spot we hadn't fendered and strike a foul blow. The cheap little inflatable that has replaced it ever since has been much easier but much less fun.
PROUD DAD MOMENT: My daughter phoned a minute ago whilst I was writing this to announce that she has been selected to represent New Zealand in the World 420 Team racing championships in Italy. Go Mikayla! NOTICE OF RACE PUBLISHED AND ENTRY OPEN FOR 2017 420 TEAM RACING WORLDS - 420 Sailing
Old 20-03-2017, 21:56   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
PROUD DAD MOMENT: My daughter phoned a minute ago whilst I was writing this to announce that she has been selected to represent New Zealand in the World 420 Team racing championships in Italy. Go Mikayla!
And proud you should be! congratulations to you both... and to think it all leads back to that little Opti!

Jim
Old 20-03-2017, 22:07   #29

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ALAIN,

What a lovely nesting dinghy. I agree it's a good solution.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure." ....Optimism. "You always remember your first gale.".....Experience.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 23:34   #30

I use a homemade version of the "Stowaway" system to carry my dinghy off my transom. I can elevate it as necessary if it gets rough and launch it before I get to the dock if I think I may be charged for the extra length. So far, its been to Alaska and around Vancouver Island with no problems and it sure beats towing or wrestling it onto the decks. For some reason I'm not able to post a photo of it in action, but it is basically two 4' bars that extend off the transom of the boat and connect to the transom of the dink. Heght is adjusted with a block and tackle. Once attached, the dinghy is flipped over so its bow rests on the stern pulpit.

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: