Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-06-2008, 05:30   #16

Thanks for the additions of the extra and real information/rest of the story!! Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:59   #17

Hanse yachts

Dear Cruisers

As an owner of a Hanse 531 now for three years Im not recommending anyone to buy a Hanse until the long list of problems of theese yachts have been resolved.

The after sale service and factory support is dismayal. in my case I have to fix the propulsion system by myself at a cost of 29.000 Euro.

There are other problems on the rudder, spars ( dismasting ), keel cracks, standing heel in excess of 4 due to defects on the keels, and on and on and on.

Jose R vigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
Hi all, I've asked about several other yachts, but I forgot to ask if anyone has had any real world experience with the Hanse line of Yachts. They do look great and I am hoping to see some at the boat show.

Let me know what you all think.. Thanks..

Old 04-08-2009, 11:06   #18

They look sharp but apparently use an aluminum tube for the rudder stock and a few dropped their rudders and sunk.

Sounds like poor design decisions. And this is not comforting.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
They look sharp but apparently use an aluminum tube for the rudder stock and a few dropped their rudders and sunk.

Sounds like poor design decisions. And this is not comforting.
Actually you are incorrect. The Hanse uses the JEFA rudder system with a machined rudder shaft and needle bearings top & bottom You can see the system at JEFA.com
Old 04-08-2009, 11:37   #20

I am certainly not an expert on Hanse yachts. I read that they use aluminum rudder stocks and sleeves and have has several failures related to that.

Considering the ratio of steering failures to hulls built I would say we have a problem Houston.

Enjoy your Hanse at your own risk.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:07   #21

Quote:
I am certainly not an expert on Hanse yachts. I read that they use aluminum rudder stocks and sleeves and have has several failures related to that.

Considering the ratio of steering failures to hulls built I would say we have a problem Houston.

Enjoy your Hanse at your own risk.
I think Hanse built close to 1000 boats last year, 32 - 63'. Where did you read about the aluminum rudder stocks and sleeves? How many steering failures do you know about? If you have real information that points to substandard construction you should be specific.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:13   #22

Rollo,

I don't maintain a data base. Do a google search and read about rudder failures in Hanse yachts.

Frankly I don't care. I've read posts from an unhappy customers who cited a host of complaints with a new boat.

I saw one up in East Greenwich and it was a gorgeous boat.

Beauty may be only skin deep.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:20   #23

Quote:
Rollo,

I don't maintain a data base. Do a google search and read about rudder failures in Hanse yachts.

Frankly I don't care. I've read posts from an unhappy customers who cited a host of complaints with a new boat.

I saw one up in East Greenwich and it was a gorgeous boat.

Beauty may be only skin deep.
I Googled this and found the discussion about the Hanse 371 that lost its rudder and sank. It was discussed last year on this website and I believe was caused by the owner who has since bought another Hanse.

Regards
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24   #24

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
And now "the rest of the story"

The cause of breakage of the rudder stock was caused by the owner drilling a hole through the rudder stock and inserting a SS bolt to attach an autopilot. A proper installation is a clamp on till arm. The SS bolt is suspected to have worn through use (I understand this boat had a lot of racing and delivery miles} Anytime you insert a SS bolt through an aluminum rudder stock and then work it back in forth you are going to have problems. It is my understanding that the rudder system on the 371 Hanse was supply by Jefa. This company supplies rudder systems and bearings for a lot of the big "sleds" that are raced, mostly downhill, on the West Coast of the US. Jefa is used to to the reiilability in handling the large loads.
I had also heard that the owner replaced his 371 with another one.
Thats more like it
Cant blame Hanse for the sinking, its what the owner did after that caused the problems.

Anyone in business understands that an ******* customer will always come back and try to blame the merchant for the mistakes of the fool.

As for abusing aluminium, anyone with aerospace knowledge has more sense. You cant even draw on it with a felt marker if you dont want to risk falling from the skies.
Old 05-08-2009, 00:37   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: R930
Having sailed and raced hard 2 Hanses over the last few years I haven't seen anything that would put me off buying one. If anything I'd have to say Hanses are one of the better build production AWB's that I've worked or sailed on.

But like anything produced in numbers, there will always be the odd lemon.

Just be thankful Microsoft doesn't build boats, imagine the carnage if they did.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:16   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Just be thankful Microsoft doesn't build boats, imagine the carnage if they did.

I'd imagine the licensing scheme would be a nightmare.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:40   #27

Dear Rollo

You have to google " hanse problems " and you will see many posts in the hanse Forum and in the Cruisers Forum. The issue is not a "lemon" but a full lemon tree.

The lost of this rudder was not the only one problem. Im really doubt that the autopilot connection was the only cause of this sinking.

Listen this, One of my cruiser friends was trying and Hanse 540 in Barcelona and suddenly they saw a lot of white foam clearing the transom. They returned to port right away.

The epoxy in the rudder laminate was not cured, so the rudder was literally disentigrating and the white foam was the hollow core of the rudder being trown out of the rudder.

Having raced a Hanse a couple of days will not give you the real ( sometimes like in my case "terrible") experience of ownership...and yes Hanses are beautiful skin but they have a number of engineering pitfalls and factory assembly problems.

The Quality control is non existent and the after sale service varies with the country of purchase, but the factory support to dealers was blunt.

Im sorry but that is the crude fact.

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
I Googled this and found the discussion about the Hanse 371 that lost its rudder and sank. It was discussed last year on this website and I believe was caused by the owner who has since bought another Hanse.

Regards
Old 05-08-2009, 06:55   #28

Example of Hanse Lemon"

Dear Cruisers

One image speaks better than words

How can a yacht be delivered with such a keel?

Pics taken two months ago at Barcelona Spain.

Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose r vigil View Post
Dear Rollo

You have to google " hanse problems " and you will see many posts in the hanse Forum and in the Cruisers Forum. The issue is not a "lemon" but a full lemon tree.

The lost of this rudder was not the only one problem. Im really doubt that the autopilot connection was the only cause of this sinking.

Listen this, One of my cruiser friends was trying and Hanse 540 in Barcelona and suddenly the see a lot of white foam clearing the transom. They returned to port right away.

The epoxy in the rudder laminate was not cured, so the rudder was literally disentigrating and the white foam was the hollow core of the rudder being trown out of the rudder.

Having raced a Hanse a couple of days will not give you the real ( sometimes like in my case "terrible") experience of ownership...and yes Hanses are beautiful skin but they have a number of engineering pitfalls and factory assembly problems.

The Quality control is non existent and the after sale service varies with the country of purchase, but the factory support to dealers was blunt.

Im sorry but that is the crude fact.

Jose
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keelaftc.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	9203   Click image for larger version

Name:	keelfrombowc.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	9204  

Old 20-06-2013, 09:15   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Example of Hanse Lemon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose r vigil View Post
Dear Cruisers

One image speaks better than words

How can a yacht be delivered with such a keel?

Pics taken two months ago at Barcelona Spain.

Jose

On the back of a truck

For sure she would go to windward better on one tack than the other BIG OOOOPSY

I was looking at this tread for info on Jefa Rudder bearings (no real info here ) BUT on reading all of the tread i sadly noticed a few Bennie Bashers what that has to do with Hanse boats frankly amazes me.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 17:47   #30
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nothing wrong with Hanse, they make a good boat at particular price point.

Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: