Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 12:24   #1

Hans Christian Sailboats

Am thinking of an HC - 33, (pre owned ) I have noticed that most of the 33s are just as much as the 38s? Also found what apears to be a rather nice 34. Any feed back whould be great!
Charli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49   #2

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
you probably know this Hans Christian already...
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 14:07   #3

The Hansa 33's are reportedly pretty sweet boats (as HC's go). The 34's were not built as well I have been told.... and usually much cheaper. I think there were many knockoffs out of Taiwan of the 34 so you need to know the yard it came from...Yea it is interesting that the 33's continue to be listed almost as much as the 38's. The problem is the Brokers have been dreaming for years that the boats are worth $130k or more. I had my 38 on the market for 1.5 years in Florida during the booming economy. I finally accepted $90k for it. It was loaded for cruising and in very nice shape, and didnt have teak decks! so be careful.... also, dont underestimate the work of all that teak! You want one with a larger engine also as the boat will not go to weather well even motorailing. Mine had the smaller "old school" Yanmar 30. Really should have alike a Perkins 4-108 or something like that.... They are hell for stout though....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 14:13   #4

Boat: Defever 41 "Bear Holiday"
Send a message via Skype™ to hanschristian38
The HC 33 is a beautiful boat but the 38 has more room for cruising - An aft cabin with a door. It is a great space to load up with beer for the winter in the Bahamas.

I heard that our old HC 38 was reposessed and is in New York. Might be a good buy.
hanschristian38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 16:01   #5

I've got a 36; in love with it, although it's an incredible amount of work to maintain the wood. Not so much the decks as the cabin top.

The sail plan is a smidge short; long foot on the mainsail, but short luff. Cutter rig.

I've got a 52 horse and it's just about enough.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:58   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
We had looked at the 38 MKll for a good number of years and had almost decided that was the boat for us, until I took one for a sail, and found it takes a good amount of wind to get them moving.. They are stout but very heavy.. the layout was what we were looking for and we found it in a Beneteau FIRST 38.. one of the French built boats, and after more looking we found the FIRST42.. same layout as the
HC 38 MKll and HC 42 with the pullman berth..
I did charter a HC 42 up in the San Juans for a couple weeks..And its true that you can fly all the canvas in a blow...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09   #7

Boat: Westsail 32
Really lovely boats, had the opportunity to work on a customers 33 this year. Don't get into one with rose colored glasses, if you want to keep this type as they should be you will spend much time on maintenance, typically way more than you will be sailing.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 19:51   #8

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia
We've lived aboard out HC 33 for 17 years (man, maybe it's 18 now!). It's a great liveaboard and a reasonable cruiser (we've been cruising full time for 5 years).

Downsides:
All the f**king teak.
Slow, we're usually the first to leave and the last to arrive (though we did manage to beat several boats from the Galapagos to the Marquesas)
Small cockpit is all but impossible to sleep in
3QM30 standard motor is a little small

Upsides:
A lot of room for a 33, fuel and water in the keel means lots of storage in the setees where other boats have tanks.
90 gals of fuel and 100 of water
Pullman birth is very nice
Seperate shower

check our blog for more

Web Log of Sailing Vessel NAKIA
svnakia is offline   Reply With Quote