Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 07:54   #1

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Hans Christian and Tayana Owners

I'm looking to get in contact with Hans Christaina owners (33 - 38) and owners of Tayana 37s for questions prior to a buy. I'm planning on getting either one within the next 2 - 3 years. I'm mostly interested in the nature of the construction of the hulls, what weaknesses they have, differences between models and years and what to look for in general. Drop me a note if you like!

Thanks!

/Hampus
Old 02-02-2009, 08:47   #2

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
PM me, The current boat is Hans Christian 40 Christina. I'd be glad to answer questions if I can..

2divers
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20   #3

What models are you looking at?

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45   #4

Hey!

I'm looking at all of the older models between 33 - 38 feet. And the Tayana 37 ofcaurse.

/Hampus
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16   #5

Boat: Tayana 48
Hi, Hampus
I've owned neither (currently have a Tayana 48, so maybe a bit biased toward that brand), but have sailed both a T-37, and a HC 33 and 38. Performance-wise, the 37 and 38 were on a relative par...the 33 was, of course, a slower boat.
All felt very stout. While there is no denying the massively solid feeling of the HC's, the Tayana is also well built.
All boats are compromises, and the treatment your candidates received from previous owners cannot be overlooked. However, I do know that the T-37 has had problems with their black-iron fuel tanks, and many have been removed and replaced.
Also, there are many more T-37's around, so support networks, and perhaps spare parts, are easier to come by.
All are good boats...good luck with the search, and enjoy the process.
John
Old 03-02-2009, 10:02   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Former Tayana Owner

Wife and I owned a Tayana 37 for one year. We found that there was too much teak to maintain IOHO. Our 37 also had a wood mast which we will never do again. The stainless (stanchions, etc.) was, I believe, 304 grade which required more effort to keep rust free that we were happy with. And speaking of stainless, we had to replace one of the water tanks due to failure of the welds from rust. The steering on our boat was a worm gear arrangement that provided little feedback or "feel" when sailing. A friend of ours had a chainplate failure due do wind pressure on his boats mast while the boat sat at his dock during a hurricane. IMHO the Tayana 37s have that "salty" look that blind "newbies" to the realities of owning them and represent a lot of what can be considered wrong with Tiawanese boats.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
Wife and I owned a Tayana 37 for one year. We found that there was too much teak to maintain IOHO. Our 37 also had a wood mast which we will never do again. The stainless (stanchions, etc.) was, I believe, 304 grade which required more effort to keep rust free that we were happy with. And speaking of stainless, we had to replace one of the water tanks due to failure of the welds from rust. The steering on our boat was a worm gear arrangement that provided little feedback or "feel" when sailing. A friend of ours had a chainplate failure due do wind pressure on his boats mast while the boat sat at his dock during a hurricane. IMHO the Tayana 37s have that "salty" look that blind "newbies" to the realities of owning them and represent a lot of what can be considered wrong with Tiawanese boats.
That's good information, thank you! It could perhaps explain the relatively low price of many of them.

/Hampus
Old 03-02-2009, 11:08   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
you can PM me. I liveaboard a Tayana 37 (cutter rig).
Old 03-02-2009, 11:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
I respectfully disagree. While the older Tayanas are just that -- old -- the issues are not dissimilar from many boats of that age. Too much teak is subjective. It seems about the right amount to me. It's important that my boat (and home) doesn't look like a Clorox bottle and I don't mind a little elbow grease to make it look good. The chainplates and black iron tanks in the earlier runs are well-known issues -- my tanks were changed out for stainless long ago, so if problems appear in the welds (they haven't) it's not the fault of the manufacturer. And, that "salty look" translates into an extremely seaworthy boat that performs amazingly well in light airs.

Btw, I was aboard a HC 33 a few years ago and was amazed at how well laid out it was -- it seemed like it was 7 feet longer!
Old 03-02-2009, 14:02   #10

I just love the double enders. I currently sail a 31ft 13000lb long keeled double ender. It's also very well laid out, People usually think it's closer to 35ft when they come aboard. I remember the first time I looked at it, and I sat in the saloon. I then owned a little 24 footer. It felt so roomy it was almost scary It changes though. it's an extremely seaworthy pocket cruiser and I wouldn't hesitate to sail it to the end of the world. However, the GF feels it's a bit too small as a liveaboard, although I lived aboard it for 2 years (single at the time). She thinks that a real liveaboard should at least have decent accomodations for overnight guest, and I can't really disagree with her there. So, with me being in love with the double enders, my eyes imediately fell on the HC and Tayana 37.
Our current ride: http://www.amigosidan.se/node/101?size=_original
Old 03-02-2009, 14:20   #11

Boat: Baba 35 - One With The Wind
Um, there are other double-enders, y'know... Take a look at the Baba 35 or Tashiba 36, both by Bob Perry, who also did the Tayana 37.
RBEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 14:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBEmerson View Post
Um, there are other double-enders, y'know... Take a look at the Baba 35 or Tashiba 36, both by Bob Perry, who also did the Tayana 37.
Yeah i know, there's a number of other double enders over here too, but not the size we're looking for. Hadn't heard of the Baba or Tashiba before. A search at Yachtworld gave me no hits in Europe, while there's quite a few Tayana 37s and HC. Although we wouldn't be strangers to buying a boat in USA, there's the extra costs. 10 times the price for tickets just to go look, VAT and customs to be payed and the hazzle of CE approval when bringing it into the EU. It would have to be one cheap boat for that to pay off. For $400 I'll be anywhere in europe within 4 hours.

/Hampus
Old 03-02-2009, 15:33   #13

Ah, yes... Euro-land and CE approval... I forgot about that. I keep wondering why I don't see Babas in Palstek (German sailing magazine).

Good luck with the hunt!
Old 04-02-2009, 06:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
Yeah i know, there's a number of other double enders over here too, but not the size we're looking for. Hadn't heard of the Baba or Tashiba before. A search at Yachtworld gave me no hits in Europe, while there's quite a few Tayana 37s and HC. Although we wouldn't be strangers to buying a boat in USA, there's the extra costs. 10 times the price for tickets just to go look, VAT and customs to be payed and the hazzle of CE approval when bringing it into the EU. It would have to be one cheap boat for that to pay off. For $400 I'll be anywhere in europe within 4 hours.

/Hampus
The Baba is very similar in appearance to the Tayana, but (and not taking anything away from the Tayana here), seems to be even better constructed. A real beauty, but pretty pricey.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37   #15

Ya get what ya pay for, eh?

OTOH, I just saw a Tashiba 36 (think Baba 35 Mk II - same builder, same designer, bigger boat) go for about $30K on eBay. Unfortunately, she was banged up in Ike (lots of dings and gouges, torn trim, stanchions lost, and the rig was lost). Ya get what ya pay for...

Still, with financing harder to get, prices are dropping. For those with the funds, there are opportunities.