Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 09:10   #1

Boat: Liberty 458 (Delta 46 type)
Hans Christian 43 vs Liberty 458

Hi everybody,
Hans Christian 43 (1990) and Liberty 458 (1990): what do you think about these "blue water" yachts to live aboard and sail around the world ? Which would you choose ? If you know them, let me know your opinion (I'm italian and I hope that you forgive me forgive me for my imperfect english)
Ciao
bellubentu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42   #2

I have a 1975 Hans Christian. Different yards, different building materials, different techniques. But for whatever it's worth I love mine and it's help up amazingly well.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:20   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
What year did the Hans Christian change yards? What are the differences in the different builds? I am looking at them as well and they seem like a very seaworthy vessel.
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:24   #4

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
I have always had a liking to the Hans. Some people think they look bloated or odd, I think they have a symmetry that is appealing to me. I suggest a sail in both, because you can decide which feels right for you. Get on board, walk the decks, consider docking, single handed sailing and look at storage and what it will take to do engine work or fix a water pump.

S/V Tahlequah - Welcome, Family & Friends read a little and drop Ed/Helen an email. They can tell you their experience. I am sure someone knows somebody who owns a Liberty that can do the same.

There is nothing like an actual owner (like Rebel_Heart) to point out the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:17   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
I have been on both. I believe the Liberty was a center cockpit while the HCh is aft.

I love HCh layout and find it very sea-going like and also very comfy in harbour.

The HCh had very high bow and it is very difficult to get in if you happen to be berthed bow-in and without finger.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
What year did the Hans Christian change yards? What are the differences in the different builds? I am looking at them as well and they seem like a very seaworthy vessel.
Boats built by a guy named Bob Perry tend to be beloved by the cruising community, and the Hans Christians are sort of the gem of that group (although not the newest or "best"). There are newer designs and newer boats, but my boat is 36 years old and still going strong so always look at a boat and ask yourself if you think that thing is going to hold up for three or four decades (if you plan on owning it for a while and keeping it in the family).

In the 1970's fiberglass construction for boats was still pretty new and they didn't realize how strong it was so they made the hulls absurdly thick. I checked the other day and my chain plate bolts are roughly 4" long before the threading starts. Up in the bow it's even crazier.

Even my diesel tank (which is made of iron and painted internally) has held up miraculously well. The deck teaks (screwed down onto plywood) are always a source of pride and heartbreak at the same time, but again they've held up for decades and can be worked on fairly easily with common tools and not too much money if you're willing to put the time in.

They learned a lot about boat building between 1975 and 1990 which is why I'm saying that they are somewhat different boats. I have wooden spars and booms; I'm sure the ones you're looking at are aluminum. I would guess that the decks are fiberglass with teak screwed down on top of them; mine are all wood. My cabin top is wood, again I'm sure yours is fiberglass.

I guess I'll summarize by saying that it is not the top-of-the-line, but it has earned a place as a very well respected sailboat and they hold up very well over the years.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Boats built by a guy named Bob Perry tend to be beloved by the cruising community, and the Hans Christians are sort of the gem of that group (although not the newest or "best").
Were they not designed by Harwood Ives?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Were they not designed by Harwood Ives?

b.
The HC 36 was an unauthorized (not done by, and no royalies paid to Bob Perry) stretched version of at 34 ft boat designed by Bob Perry for HC (can't remember if any of the 34's were actually built). Other than that, none were done by Bob.
slap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap View Post
The HC 36 was an unauthorized (not done by, and no royalies paid to Bob Perry) stretched version of at 34 ft boat designed by Bob Perry for HC (can't remember if any of the 34's were actually built). Other than that, none were done by Bob.
That's the real deal right there, here's the info:

Rebel Heart - Sailing, cruising, liveaboard blog and website - History of HC 36's
Old 04-10-2010, 18:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We have good friends who are cruising in their HC 48 - and it's an OUTSTANDING boat:

Liward - GetJealous.com Free Travel Blogs

If you like the Hans Christian build, our boat, the MacIntosh 47, was built in the same yard by the general manager of HC. It has NO exterior teak...
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 20:01   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Don't mean to knock the Hans (a good friend of mine had an 1984 HC 43 Ketch rig). The 43 was a marvelous sea boat and very stable and roomy, engine easy to work on and well laid out below decks. But I was recently asked to check out an HC 32 and the teak decks were screwed from the BOTTOM. The screw ends had popped through after years of over scrubbing with what I imagine was a very stiff brush. The fix was a total deck removal! Not sure the yard where she was built but buyer beware. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29   #12

Screwed from the bottom? Oh my god....
Old 05-10-2010, 11:30   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Perhaps this 32 footer was from an obscure yard I'm not familiar with. Not sure of the vintage of the boat but appeared to be in the 80's from the wear and tear on the rest of the vessel. Fit and finish was adequate below decks but not really up to the HC standard I was used to seeing. Had some rather strange wiring as well that may not have been original. Was someone doing one-offs of this Perry design around then? I am not a licensed surveyor and was helping out a friend interested in buying the boat. My recommendation was to offer considerably less than the asking price even though there was no broker involved therefore no commission to be paid.
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18   #14

Boat: Peterson 46
Hi Bellubento,

I have just repeated this on the other website, but here it is again.

Until recently, we were living and cruising on our Peterson 46. I have only wonderful things to say about the design. They are a safe, fast, comfortable cruiser. I have sailed short handed (my wife and I) or solo in a wide range of weather. Last year I went 2300nm against the wind at an average of 7.3kn.

We have been in quite rough weather and the boat loves it. At anchor, she is stable and quiet, She moves in light breezes, but when the wind picks up, she takes off like a thoroughbred in a steeplechase!

As for comfort, we have the volume to keep , in addition to our personal gear [for 3 people], a diesel genset, high volume water maker, a washing machine, a fridge and a freezer, a huge dry cockpit, 2 seperate anchor wells [with seperate anchor and chain]. Each sink has 'flickmaster pressurized taps etc etc. Exactly like living in an apartment with real sea views!

The main cabin (aft has an almost king size bed)

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...a/P8170002.jpg
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...a/P8250016.jpg

As for the HC 43, they are also known to be sea kindly and built strongly. We dont like the 'pullman' beds as you have to crawl over your partner to get out!

Good luck with it all.
regards
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:28   #15

Boat: Liberty 458 46' sail
Re: Hans Christian 43 vs Liberty 458

My wife and I have lived on our Liberty 458 for 30 years and have a been very comfortable on long passages and. Still love the boat and are heading out again.

We have been on a few of the Hans Christian 43. Solid and stable boats.

. Nice finish and comfortable down below.

Both of the boats are older and you should be carefully inspected

Happy to answer any questions about the Liberty....jpc
svseawitch is offline   Reply With Quote