Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 19:09   #1

Hans Christian 40 anything equal or better

Hi,

I keep coming back to these Hans Christian used boats as seaworthy and comfort and inexpensive. Lots of wood to take care of thought and i imagine other problems?

Anything out there for around $150K to buy out in the South Pacific. Getting ready to retire and want to avoid a hazardous voyage outright to start.
waydeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 19:17   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Hans Christian 40 anything equal or better

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydeser View Post
Hi,

I keep coming back to these Hans Christian used boats as seaworthy and comfort and inexpensive. Lots of wood to take care of thought and i imagine other problems?

Anything out there for around $150K to buy out in the South Pacific. Getting ready to retire and want to avoid a hazardous voyage outright to start.

i love those boats, but I'd have to win the lottery to have one, because I would be paying someone to take care of all that wood. It's just not my thing. Some people love it. I have friends who live on a 33' and they enjoy all of it, including keeping the wood up. It has the feel of an old, classy boat to me. But they are a lot of work, and that's saying something, because all sailboats (not talking about dinghy size) are a lot of work.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 19:39   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

The woman in the slip next to me is in a Hans Christian "Christina" 40. It's an impressive boat, and she's real happy with it after 15 years on it. Her wood looks good, she has Cetol on it, and she's a wiz at taking it down and redoing it when it's needed. There's really not too much...the real issue is the wood on the topsides below the cap rail. You have to do it all from your dinghy, pretty much. But as far as the build quality goes, it's hard to beat, and it's a fin keel and skeg hung rudder so they sail much better than their smaller brethren. Oh, and there is one also anchored right off behind us. The couple in it just finished a circumnavigation. They're keeping the boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:29   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

There fine boats! And Im gonna take flack for sayin this, theres always PAINT that will cure the bright work problem for ever!! They still look good and sail just as well !!
Old 14-10-2013, 20:37   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Teak decks...ugh!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:41   #6

Boat: CORBIN 39

look at Corbin 39's. fast and seaworthy. lots of room and plenty of storage
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 20:57   #7

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I recently "discovered" the Hans Christian. It's now on my short list of boats I would considering if I were to ever get something larger. Either 38 or 40. Beautiful finish on them. I like the older classic look.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 21:00   #8

There was a time many years ago that the HC yachts were really sought after as proper offshore yachts. Now as the sailors are aging they don't have the same desire for exterior maintenance and the lack of maneuverability.
That aside if you still enjoy waking up with a paint brush in your hand they are a very pretty boat when well kept and still very capable Water boats">blue water boats.
Teak decks built with a million screws through the decks, many of which leak and are seriously expensive to replace are another issue one has to deal with but if that boat has your name on it then go for it and have fun!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 21:41   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

We love our hans christian 41! We have been doing a lot of work on it for the past year or so, but that is mostly because we bought one that was used hard and put away wet. Once we get caught up and back to zero, I don't think the maintenance is going to be too bad in comparison to other boats of the same size and age. There is ALOT of teak, however with Cetol we spend half of a day 2 times a year and thats takes care of it (its a lot easier than mowing the lawn...) Our 41T also has the modified full keel and skeg hung rudder so maneuverability isn't an issue. If your intrested in reading about other folks with Hans christians and see some of the stuff that they deal with, on the right hand side of our blog there are links to 50 or so other blogs of hans christian owners. S/V Moitessier...
Also Waydeser, if you do a quick google search you will find at least 2 HC's for sale in Hawaii.
Old 14-10-2013, 22:11   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
... I don't think the maintenance is going to be too bad in comparison to other boats of the same size and age. ....
Not to be contrary but why do you think this?
Old 14-10-2013, 22:30   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Not to be contrary but why do you think this?
Engine, bottom job, pumps, rigging, plumbing, etc, should all be similar for boats of the same size. I cant think of anything aside from the exterior teak that sets our hans christian apart from another 40' cruiser maintenance wise.
Old 14-10-2013, 22:43   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
Engine, bottom job, pumps, rigging, plumbing, etc, should all be similar for boats of the same size. I cant think of anything aside from the exterior teak that sets our hans christian apart from another 40' cruiser maintenance wise.
Guess I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying it wouldn't be as bad as other boats of similar age and size not that it would be about the same except for the teak. I agree it should be about the same except for the teak.
Old 15-10-2013, 09:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydeser View Post
Hi,

I'm not seeing the inexpensive part. They seem to me to run a little higher than most boats in their general class.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 09:46   #14

The wood is overwhelming for sure. I cant think of many boats that have more wood than a HC. Make sure the one you get has a big engine, you need it to punch through chop. Mine had a 3QM30 Yanmar in a 38 HC. Way too small. I would want at least a Perkins 4-108 if not a 4-236. Beautiful boats, Not great sailors unless off the wind. The tanks are buried, take that into account as they are likely to be at the end of their life. The HC 38's seem to actually sell for maybe 80-90k well equipped.

I would look at a Tollycraft 39 or a Wauquiez etc in an older boat. Faster, more nimble, way less maintenance. My HC38 was lucky to tack through ~140 degrees, and stopped dead with every tack going into a chop. Just saying....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 09:55   #15
cruiser

My friend has an awesome HC 43 he keeps in the Med which he plans to take around most of the world. I've toured two other HC 43's in excellent condition owned by very satisfied couples. Each of them has told me a tale of their boat requiring several years get it into shape, where the phrase "labour of love' was used. My friend's was in excellent condition when he found it. If you enjoy endless woodworking and refinishing projects.... you've found the right boat. They are very seaworthy, slow and built like a tank. My boat is currently hauled out right next to one in Spain; another awesome example a nice Belgian fellow ownes who spent 3 years whipping it into shape.

I'll PM you my friends CF handle and you can contact him yourself.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote