Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 11:28   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Hans Christian 40 anything equal or better

An HC lives two berths down from mine. Lovely people, good boat. I don't like its motion in the sea however. And I don't like how low it's cockpit is to the sea. Keep on worrying about getting swamped by a following sea- which happens up here BTW. Those are my impressions after sailing it across the bank in good conditions. But please these are only my opinion in comparing with that "V" boat, and I may be completely wrong...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 15:33   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The wood is overwhelming for sure. I cant think of many boats that have more wood than a HC. Make sure the one you get has a big engine, you need it to punch through chop. Mine had a 3QM30 Yanmar in a 38 HC. Way too small. I would want at least a Perkins 4-108 if not a 4-236. Beautiful boats, Not great sailors unless off the wind. The tanks are buried, take that into account as they are likely to be at the end of their life. The HC 38's seem to actually sell for maybe 80-90k well equipped.

I would look at a Tollycraft 39 or a Wauquiez etc in an older boat. Faster, more nimble, way less maintenance. My HC38 was lucky to tack through ~140 degrees, and stopped dead with every tack going into a chop. Just saying....
+1 on the Wauquiez!
Old 15-10-2013, 18:12   #18

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

In the category of gorgeous heavily built blue water cruisers don't forget about the Lord Nelson 41. The Burmese teak joinery and marble work down below are stunning. The deck screws for the teak side decks are screwed into solid fiberglass stringers so no rotten cores from deck screws to worry about. The sheer line is classic and the motion is sea kindly. It has a large sail plan and performs surprisingly well for a vessel of its type. It obviously takes more breeze than a Beneteau would to reach hull speed but it tracks like a freight train in heavy seas and high winds and is very comfortable. No bobbing around like a cork. Good for crossing oceans in comfort.
VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 19:26   #19

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChild View Post
...The deck screws for the teak side decks are screwed into solid fiberglass stringers so no rotten cores from deck screws to worry about...
This is the same way our HC41 is constructed and I believe the earlier models of the HC33's. I agree the lord nelsons are beautiful boats. We looked at one LN41 before we bought our HC. Just not that many out there for sale. I really like all of the cockpit storage around the aft rail. On our HC that is all wasted space
Old 15-10-2013, 20:04   #20

Thank you all so much for the time you've taken to provide your comments! The Lord Nelson 41 seems really awesome, but I don't see the comfort inside like the HCs; maybe it's the pictures for the very few out there.
I think I'm moving away from the HC 41s because of the perceptions I'm getting for performance in lighter winds. I suppose that's the price you pay for being seaworthy? It's not all about the teak on the deck BTW, but it really is classy.

Any other suggestions to lead me in to a seaworthy 40ish with comfort?
waydeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 20:53   #21

I think any of the Valiants 40+ would be good.
Old 16-10-2013, 04:01   #22

Boat: Lord Nelson, 41

There were several different layouts for the Lord Nelson 41 and I'm sure some of the images out there don't do it justice but they did come with warm plush interiors. (See attached picture.) One of my favorite features is the built-in lighted teak and glass wine bar. The interior compares well with the interiors of Baba's and Hans Christians. In particular we like the horseshoe layout of the galley which was designed to keep you steady and comfortable while preparing meals in rough conditions. There is a difference between coastal cruiser comfort and passagemaking comfort. Large RV-like interiors with wide open spaces are fine for coastal cruising but in an offshore passage with rough conditions, you will appreciate a well thought out layout with convenient hand holds and grab rails always within reach. Imagine trying to walk through a living room during an 8.0 earthquake with nothing to hold on to. Also important in a proper layout are the number and location of bulkheads. They aren't just room dividers. They provide the internal strength to the hull that is so important in a blue water cruiser. Hans Christians, Babas and Lord Nelsons are some fine examples of how these features can be incorporated into a beautiful cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130153-albums3305-picture18126.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	68759   Click image for larger version

Name:	130153-albums3305-picture18125.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	68760  

VChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 04:08   #23
cruiser

Fast & seaworthy, look at an older, smaller Oyster. Bowman also makes a stout boat in that size.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 05:29   #24

Also, Passport, Masons and Tayana 42s.
Old 16-10-2013, 05:54   #25

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by waydeser View Post

(...) want to avoid a hazardous voyage outright to start.
What about your sailing experience? Do you have the associated skills already (navigation, etc.)

You can buy one without 'all that wood' - they still make them somewhere in (?) Thailand - the 33/34 model.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 05:56   #26

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

wauquiez ampithitre ms 45
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 09:20   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There have been some excellent boats mentioned. I'd suggest you sail a few and find one model that you fall in love with- just like the rest of us...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote