Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 21:51   #1
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Can anybody tell me what the differences are in the design of these two boats, Bob Perry designed the 34 and according to sailboat data Harwood Ives designed the 33, Bob if your out there could you chime in please
__________________

__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 00:14   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,450
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Bob Perry was banned from CF some years ago to our detriment. He is an active participant at Sailing Anarchy though, so try him there.

Jim
__________________

__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 01:14   #3
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

I wasn't aware that Bob was banned from CF, that's interesting, the question still hold's for anyone else
__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 02:02   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 108
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

The difference although subtle to the eye are fairly big when you start to look closely at it. The 33 has a modified full keel, wider beam, and the mast sits back almost 10 inches compared to the 34. Better upwind performance and typically faster. The waterline length is almost identical with the canoe stern having a softer exit. The construction of the 33 is far superior to the 34 or 36 with solid decks and roomier layout below. Hans Christian and Bob Perry have a fairly tumultuous relationship and I believe he thinks HC's are his bastard child. I know many who will look at a HC and just consider it to be a Perry design because of the visual to the original aesthetic but Harwood Ives did do a ground up design with the 33, 38,43 as requested by HC and kept a lot of the same features to create uniformity throughout the HC lineup.

Hope that helps.

Source: I am a HC owner
__________________
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 02:27   #5
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
The difference although subtle to the eye are fairly big when you start to look closely at it. The 33 has a modified full keel, wider beam, and the mast sits back almost 10 inches compared to the 34. Better upwind performance and typically faster. The waterline length is almost identical with the canoe stern having a softer exit. The construction of the 33 is far superior to the 34 or 36 with solid decks and roomier layout below. Hans Christian and Bob Perry have a fairly tumultuous relationship and I believe he thinks HC's are his bastard child. I know many who will look at a HC and just consider it to be a Perry design because of the visual to the original aesthetic but Harwood Ives did do a ground up design with the 33, 38,43 as requested by HC and kept a lot of the same features to create uniformity throughout the HC lineup.

Hope that helps.

Source: I am a HC owner
Thanks, that's what I was wondering about, I knew Bob and HC had had a falling out, I read Bob's book on sailboat designs, but don't have it front of me and couldn't remember what he wrote about this
__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 03:20   #6
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,098
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Here's a link to Bob Perry's newest projects;

Bob Perry's Carbon Cutters - SailNet Community

You can also contact him on that thread. Careful though, he's more cantankerous than I am.

goat
__________________
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 03:54   #7
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Thanks Goat, I'll try to reach him on the forum mentioned above
__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:29   #8
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Bob Perry was banned from CF some years ago to our detriment. He is an active participant at Sailing Anarchy though, so try him there.

Jim
Why on earth was he banned? I e-mailed back and forth with him several years ago and he seemed like a nice guy. Maybe a little blunt but I appreciate that. It was nothing more that polite conversation.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:37   #9
vjm
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 313
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Bob's son died and he will be the first to admit that he was in the midst of a lot of anger at that point. A moderator was interacting with him regarding some of his comments and he really went off. He is very honest about it, that he said things that were not ok.

Rather than offer some leeway to a man in the depths of one of the worst things that can ever happen, the forum banned him.

Their choice, and I do see that it is a difficult situation, but a terrible and uncharitable mistake. I stopped coming here for years because of it, and only returned when he posted elsewhere is fine with the way things are. Still think it was rotten and a cautionary example of holding rules as more important than people.
__________________
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 10:55   #10
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Bob's son died and he will be the first to admit that he was in the midst of a lot of anger at that point. A moderator was interacting with him regarding some of his comments and he really went off. He is very honest about it, that he said things that were not ok.

Rather than offer some leeway to a man in the depths of one of the worst things that can ever happen, the forum banned him.

Their choice, and I do see that it is a difficult situation, but a terrible and uncharitable mistake. I stopped coming here for years because of it, and only returned when he posted elsewhere is fine with the way things are. Still think it was rotten and a cautionary example of holding rules as more important than people.
I am afraid it is CF's lose.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 11:08   #11
vjm
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 313
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I am afraid it is CF's lose.
Absolutely. The designer of many of the most loved cruising boats ever can't give free advice, opinions, and tell stories on "Cruiser's Forum". Total loss for CF. No big deal for Bob.
__________________
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 13:06   #12
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,059
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
Absolutely. The designer of many of the most loved cruising boats ever can't give free advice, opinions, and tell stories on "Cruiser's Forum". Total loss for CF. No big deal for Bob.
Empathy is all I can have for Bob. If a parent dies it is one thing when a child does it must be something entirely different. I guess I can count my blessings.
__________________
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 04:30   #13
Registered User
 
Sailshabby's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Deltaville, VA
Boat: Baba 40
Posts: 144
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Perhaps it's time to renew the relationship...
__________________
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 14:18   #14
Registered User
 
DDabs's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. George's, Grenada
Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Posts: 1,505
Images: 16
Re: Hans Christian 33- Hans Christian 34

Alright, we've got Bob waiting backstage. Let's bring him out right now...
__________________

__________________
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hans Christian and Tayana Owners Hampus Monohull Sailboats 44 21-07-2011 20:30
48' Hans Christian 48T Center Cockpit Driscoll Sailin Classifieds Archive 0 17-07-2008 12:04
Hans Christian lost on way to Marquesas Trim50 General Sailing Forum 0 21-06-2007 22:39
Hans Christian Yachts? AussieDreamers Monohull Sailboats 4 05-01-2007 20:03
Hans Christian (Windvane) Question Nepenthe Meets & Greets 2 19-09-2006 00:08



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.