Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-06-2016, 19:40   #16

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Handling a 45+ foot boat

We have no problem handling our Beneteau 473 underway and in the marina. It's our first boat. We haven't hit anyone or anything...yet. If it were a full keel it would be more challenging, but people get used to their boats.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 28-06-2016, 19:52   #17

Man, buy the boat you want and then practice sailing, driving and docking it. Find a good instructor for help learning the tricks to maneuvering a single screw monohull in current and in close quarters. Don't buy a boat too small for your crew of four ladies or you will be miserable.

Old 28-06-2016, 20:13   #18

Thanks as always SteadyHand. I guess I see your point regarding the broker but I wish he would have just come out and said that.

Sandero, my thought as well that we won't be spending too much time in marina. Wife is all in but kiddos won't be much help at their age.
Old 28-06-2016, 20:16   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Funny thing about boats - the more you use them the easier they become to manage. And kids do grow older and stronger and become good crew.

I've had my daughter up the coast when she was 1 y/o in a 38 and we bashed around the Columbia and Pacific coast up to Canada through her teens. Both daughters grew up around boats and can do many things.

There have been times that for whatever reason I ended up soloing our 50' up or down the coast. You just should plan things out better and not leave too many things to chance.

If I had the money I would buy a Swan 68 tomorrow and feel comfortable soloing it. I would reef early and be a lot more thoughtful in my plans and really want a bow thruster. But, I do know that it would become like a "glove" to me if I spent enough time on it.

As for any 40 year old boat.... Our current boat is a Gulfstar 50. I'm in the middle of a retrofit and that has to be taken into account. An older boat will require more work to get things as you like them. A larger boat will take more time and money to do all maintenance and upkeep.

But, I would glady do the work on that Swan if someone offered one to me.... Don't let an >over< abundance of caution kill a dream. (Just the right amount is all you need)
Old 28-06-2016, 20:31   #20

OK so I guess you could say I'm somewhat inexperienced having never captained a boat of that size, but how exactly do you get experience any how?

The boats we are interested in seeing this weekend are, you may or may not think these are good choices and you are welcome to comment. My philosophy is it doesn't hurt to look:
Gulfstar 50 sail master,
Gulfstar 50 mkii,
Morgan out island 49,
Tayana 47
Olympic adventure 47
Adams 45 (steel 2 cabin)
Brewer 44 (2 cabin swing keel)
Old 28-06-2016, 20:37   #21

You can charter or you can make friends with someone who has a big boat.

Old 28-06-2016, 21:46   #22

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
OK so I guess you could say I'm somewhat inexperienced having never captained a boat of that size, but how exactly do you get experience any how?

The boats we are interested in seeing this weekend are, you may or may not think these are good choices and you are welcome to comment. My philosophy is it doesn't hurt to look:
Gulfstar 50 sail master,
Gulfstar 50 mkii,
Morgan out island 49,
Tayana 47
Olympic adventure 47
Adams 45 (steel 2 cabin)
That's an interesting mix of boats. Take notes on each and post your impressions with some photos, age of boats, links, and prices, here later.

The Adams looks nice to me, well equipped for cruising. But, $45k more expensive than the Olympic, so a different budget, and I like the Olympic more than most.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 22:25   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I cannot say much about the other boats but the Gulfstar 50 MkII and the sailmaster are in different worlds (which I would not even consider the sailmaster). The GS50 MkII is a fast and seaworthy boat listed in John Kretschmer's Used Boat notebook in the 10 boats to sail around the world in section.

Like my GS50 these are 40 odd years old and are a great value (and under valued). With some time and money put into a restoration they are a 'comfey' world cruiser. They are actually quite "small" for a 50'er...

Which GS 50 are you looking at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post

Gulfstar 50 sail master,
Gulfstar 50 mkii,
Morgan out island 49,
Tayana 47
Olympic adventure 47
Adams 45 (steel 2 cabin)
Old 28-06-2016, 22:26   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

I will single hand our 54ft 25 ton sailboat later today which will include leaving the slip and negotiating the marina, then anchoring later today. It's not a problem. Our previous boat a 45ft Hunter was half the weight and had much higher freeboard, and it wasn't a problem on that boat either.

Many times, boaters/brokers project their own limitations and insecurities into boat recommendations for other people.

Good luck, go big.
Old 28-06-2016, 22:43   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I will single hand our 54ft 25 ton sailboat later today which will include leaving the slip and negotiating the marina, then anchoring later today. It's not a problem. Our previous boat a 45ft Hunter was half the weight and had much higher freeboard, and it wasn't a problem on that boat either.
Ive never single handed a sailboat over 40 foot. But I have been in control of motor vessels up to 80 feet. Twin engine and bow thrusters made it a joy to handle. A little forethought, a moderate to slow speed and knowledge of how a boat moves in water and the job is done.

Im not seeing it much different in a large twin screw yacht. People get used to what they have.

I do see the comments from the broker as being directed to his personal opinion regarding your experience or lack of. To that end, it looks like he is trying to help you.

I would be inclined to sea trial the boat and then decide if you can handle it..

I know you can, but you might decide otherwise.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 23:24   #26

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Hi,
Buy the boat you want. You can learn to drive it.

I took lessons from a professional captain. And was honest -- not macho or self conscious -- with people and marinas that I was just learning and needed both easy slips and extra help coming in. Many times I grabbed an easy mooring ball or fuel dock and then would recon the assigned slip and make a plan. Everyone was nice, when I expressed doubts about my ability to get into a tight slip in a lot of wind, a marina sent out two guys with dinghys to push on the boat if I messed up.

Lots of big fenders help. On my current boat we have four 27" ball fenders, which can cover huge mistakes. We deflate them when we aren't docking, or partially deflate them and use them as bean bags on deck.

Depending on what your plans are, I'd focus more on how handling a larger boat at sea is different. Our current boat is the largest we've ever sailed, and I've learned that high quality anchoring and sail hardware is super important. I would not want a large boat that did not have a roller bearing mainsail track, lazy jacks, plentiful winches, and a bulletproof windlass. Since the loads are way higher and often on an inhuman scale.

Good luck with your search!
Old 29-06-2016, 00:48   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
He also advised against a host of other boats we had on our short list, gulfstars, morgan, formosa, hardin, and a heritage saying they were all pretty crappy.
I don't know about the heritage at all, but your dad's comments are otherwise quite familiar to me. Especially, Gulfstars, Morgans, Formosas, are known to have a lot of light build issues in the first two, and unreliable build issues in the Formosas. But, you will most likely have a budget, and will buy a boat that may have some shortcomings.

Pay attention to how Boatman 61 nurses along unsuitable boats. That is what you want to be aware of when sailing one of these, to be conservative, save the boat, and yourself.

Frequently, I suggest to people that they buy a smaller boat of higher quality. To me, this is a very sensible compromise, but other's mileage may vary, as we say. With no experience living aboard, you are wanting a large boat. Having lived 18 yrs. on a 36 footer, my point of view is different. The compromise between size and quality lets all of you feel safe on cruises, and serves people well, when the choice is for quality.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 01:09   #28
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Skippers screw up docking 35ft yachts more often than 60ft ones.

Mainly because they are more casual about the forces and the lighter displacement can more easily be shifted by a gust of wind.

I can understand that you are having a "confidence moment", but this is where you need to decide what type of skipper you will become and simply make it work.

Your Dad knows your sailing temperament intimately...... What is his opinion?
Old 29-06-2016, 02:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Skippers screw up docking 35ft yachts more often than 60ft ones.

Mainly because they are more casual about the forces and the lighter displacement can more easily be shifted by a gust of wind.

I can understand that you are having a "confidence moment", but this is where you need to decide what type of skipper you will become and simply make it work.

Your Dad knows your sailing temperament intimately...... What is his opinion?
Bad logic... there are more 35 footers and docking attempts in them than 60 footers.
Old 29-06-2016, 02:15   #30
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Agree, poorly worded as my post was not about statistics but casual attitudes with lesser forces and more importantly.... Confidence.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: