Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-11-2013, 19:24   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Halman 20 v. Flicka v. Nordica 20

The Halman and Nordica are bathtub toys compared to the PS Flicka.

Now, the flicka is a slow tubby boat though.

Something like a Pearson Ariel with a nice newer diesel would be a better value and better sailor. About the same weight for trailering.

Tons of other good options as well. Whilst the Flicka has done some passagemaking, its basically a "character" boat.

Check out my blog:
Boatguy30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 22:55   #17

Re: Halman 20 v. Flicka v. Nordica 20

Thank you everyone. Some interesting opinions on the Flicka, along with some brass tacks comments:

"I would look for the inboard model with the enclosed head. Those go for the most money but the layout is better unless you want the crapper under your head while you sleep" (Jon Neely).

"It's a PITA getting the stick up, adjusting the rig, putting on the sails and running rigging etc, not to mention launching, deailing with parking the trailer and truck somewhere and loading the boat. For a vacation... great... for a day sail forget it!" (Cheechako).

"I have 2 Flickas, one PSC hull 99 and one homebuilt before seacraft existed. The homebuilt is bullet proof and has less than a year in the water so far. Diesel has 16 hours on it with enclosed head, air conditioned, Microwave, ac/dc/lp Refer,shower an more. I love this boat and it sails like a 40 footer. I have the other in my shop I am restoring and it has a yanmar YSB-8 that I am rebuilding and I will sell this boat when completed. I have owned dozens of boats and without a doubt the Flicka is the best. There is no comparison on hulls ,quality or dependability. You have to go and sail each boat to know the difference" (bill cartwright).

"[T]he Flicka doesn't have a very comfortable motion and is super slow, good for heavy weather but not light air" (terminalcitygrl).

Gratsi for the Nor'Sea boosterism, Daniel. I've been glancing at your blog for a while, along with the Yahoo group. Rhapsody is looking good. Nor'Sea was on my list, but I'm thinking it might be too big for the type of portability I want, and the forefoot might be a little too cutaway. I love the look, but how is the motion and wave slamming?

"Go Leafs???? Wow, that sounds suspiciously bad..." (SVTatia).

Yeah, I should have said, "Go Leaves."

Not much on the Halman and Nordica except, "bathtub toys" (Boatguy30).

Come on, you Canadians, defend yourselves! And don't say, "Get a Shark."

Thanks to EVERYONE who responded. Keep it coming.

truewind is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: