Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2014, 16:39   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Halcyon 27

Totally unbiased plug for the Vancouver 27 There's a good market for them in the UK. Not the cheapest option, but very nice, robust boats.

The Norvane windvane is another good small boat windvane that has not been mentioned. Good reviews.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 18:13   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post

(...)

the hype that bigger boats are more safe - they are are not-

(...)
I thoroughly agree with what you say in your post except for the above opinion.

Possibly a toss between an Alberg 30 and a Bavaria 40 (I would be in the Alberg anyways) BUT a nobrainer between an Alberg 30 and an Oyster 60.

All other things equal, the bigger boat is the safer one in the seaway - she can stand up to higher waves, she is easier to spot from the bridge, she tires her crew less, and so on and so forth.

Cheers,
b.

PS re Vancouver 27. I think a great choice for offshore adventures on the cheap.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 14:24   #18

Thank you for these thoughts Glenn Brooks.
Having a boat in Greece offers ample opportunity for offshore cruising although I wouldn't intend to sail only in Greek waters but try some North Africa destinations, possibly Portugal and even venture out to the ocean for the Azores. Alberg 30 is a legendary boat and I've had a look at these before. You're right I am shopping in Europe for the reasons you mention, although most of the boats I 've had a look at, can be nowadays found on both sides of the Atlantic. I have to admit that I didn't know of the Vertue and that's definitely a suggestion worth considering. Very pretty lines too.

Regards,
Phlegethon
Phlegethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 14:40   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
Thanks for the welcoming,

Loads of questions about his particular vessel. Just two of many would be what is the boat's windward behaviour in say, F7, and another would be about the most suitable windvane regardless of cost.

Thanks in advance for your time.
I have sailed the Royal Navy's Halcyon 27s and I don't think you will be going to windward in a F7, thats 28-32 knots of wind and 4 - 5.5m waves. Oh sure with a storm jib and trysail she will go to windward but it will be very wet, slow and bouncy. We used to average about 4 knots. A similar yacht is the French Arpege:

Dufour Arpege archive data - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

Depending on the budget if you want to windward in a F7 then my choice would be a Contessa 32, still a wet boat to windward though.

Would i have one of these yachts in Greece, no chance. These boats were built for use in NW Europe were its cold and wet with rough seas. You know how hot it is in Greece during the summer, you need something more suitable for the heat and lack of wind, with really good ventilation, shade and a white hull. How about a catamaran?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 19:05   #20

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Re: Windvane - you also might have a look at the Cape Horn, made by Yves Gelanis in Canada, but sold worldwide. I think his website is caphorn.com. I have one on my Alberg 30 and can attest it does everything the manufacturer says it will- steer dead down wind in next to no Apparent wind, and hold the boat on a desired course in what ever wind you care to carry sail, even no sail, running off under bare poles. Also it's a bit cheaper than others. All in all a great vane.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 19:32   #21

If you are buying an IF or Contessa 26 or any other variation of the old Folkboat, do not spend mega bucks on a windvane. I sailed 9K miles on a Contessa with a Quartermaster Windvane, and it never gybed once. They are simple. inexpensive and very reliable. They may be out of production now, but would be easy to build, or go to the Folkboat websites and advertise for one. I cringe when I see 3 or 4K$ worth of Monitor or other fancy SS windvane on the back of a Contessa, or IF. Just another opinion. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 19:51   #22

Pete7, I have spent 6 days in what I think was F7, close hauled in acellerated trades and averaged over a 100 miles a day. Double reefed main and a storm jib, wishing I had a third reef. The whole trip (Tuamotus to Hawaii) averaged 90 miles/day, but that counted 2 days parked in the ITCZ. Small boats will go to weather, but it beat the stuffings out of me. Small boats and performance can go together, but small boats and comfort are a whole different thing. ______Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:35   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Pete7, I have spent 6 days in what I think was F7, close hauled in acellerated trades and averaged over a 100 miles a day. Double reefed main and a storm jib, wishing I had a third reef. The whole trip (Tuamotus to Hawaii) averaged 90 miles/day, but that counted 2 days parked in the ITCZ. Small boats will go to weather, but it beat the stuffings out of me. Small boats and performance can go together, but small boats and comfort are a whole different thing. ______Grant.
Which kind of bears out what I was saying, yes the boat will do it but it will be unpleasant and certainly not something I would choose to do for any distance.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote