Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 23:12   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Edmonds, WA
Posts: 1
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

My wife and I have owned hull #41 Tatsao ("wind" in Haida) since 2004. We've sailed the San Juans and throughout the Gulf Islands. Lots of fun.

Lot of talk her about maintenance... We stripped the keel with a wire brush and die grinder then coated it in kevlar impregnated epoxy (industrial product for lining inside of iron pipes) and several layers of woven mat. Faired the keel into the hull. Haven't had any issues with keel since. Decks were all belt sanded down and coated with a two part polyurethane meant for coating plywood in industrial walkways. That was about 7 years ago and it's held up great. Had to rebuild parts of the cockpit due to rot. At the very least plywood is an easy thing to work with. Had the mast down. Re-rigged for internal halyards and ran everything back across the cabin top. Using a full baton main, 100% blade and fly a J-24 spinnaker which works great.
__________________

__________________
tatsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:06   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

I'm looking at a Haida 26, here in British Columbia. She's the da Gama. The current owner doesn't know her hull number or when she was built. She is a raised cabin version, with opening rectangular plastic ports. Where does one find the hull number on the Haida?
Her price is reasonable, but this also means there is a bit of work needed. I am very unimpressed with the fabric covering on the inside of the entire cabin. And looking at the overhead, which curves and flares toward the bow, I can see that recovering might be a task for an 'artist' of some sort. I would rip it off the overhead, cabin sides and under the deck right away and paint it. The hull areas, under the deck and cabin sides can later be covered with thin horizontal strips of red cedar, or teak if funds allow.
So my main question is: how have others dealt with the liner situation? And my second is: where does one find the hull number?
I look forward to connecting with other Haida owners.
Stephen, in Gibsons, BC
__________________

__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 15:37   #18
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 501
Images: 2
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecohawk View Post
I'm looking at a Haida 26, here in British Columbia. She's the da Gama. The current owner doesn't know her hull number or when she was built. She is a raised cabin version, with opening rectangular plastic ports. Where does one find the hull number on the Haida?
Her price is reasonable, but this also means there is a bit of work needed. I am very unimpressed with the fabric covering on the inside of the entire cabin. And looking at the overhead, which curves and flares toward the bow, I can see that recovering might be a task for an 'artist' of some sort. I would rip it off the overhead, cabin sides and under the deck right away and paint it. The hull areas, under the deck and cabin sides can later be covered with thin horizontal strips of red cedar, or teak if funds allow.
So my main question is: how have others dealt with the liner situation? And my second is: where does one find the hull number?
I look forward to connecting with other Haida owners.
Stephen, in Gibsons, BC
I have hull #63 and the hull # is on a bronze plate on the cockpit foot well. My Haida has a painted interior and the teak strips already done. My boat also is the flush deck version, which I prefer. Contact me any time. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 19:00   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Thanks for the hull number location. I bought the boat today and I will take a look tomorrow.
Did your boat originally have some sort of liner on the fiberglass interior surfaces? Tomorrow I will start pulling the overhead material off. It's thin 'fuzzy' stuff like a thin flannel sheet. Regardless of what I find under it, paint will be an improvement.
Until I saw this boat for sale, I had never noticed the Haida 26, having been a wood boat guy, 35 years ago. My research indicates it has some excellent qualities and I'm keen to discover them.
__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 23:24   #20
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 501
Images: 2
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecohawk View Post
Thanks for the hull number location. I bought the boat today and I will take a look tomorrow.
Did your boat originally have some sort of liner on the fiberglass interior surfaces? Tomorrow I will start pulling the overhead material off. It's thin 'fuzzy' stuff like a thin flannel sheet. Regardless of what I find under it, paint will be an improvement.
Until I saw this boat for sale, I had never noticed the Haida 26, having been a wood boat guy, 35 years ago. My research indicates it has some excellent qualities and I'm keen to discover them.
Your going to love this boat, I've sailed mine in winds up to 70 knots, not fun but safe & seaworthy.... Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 12:36   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

I have rot in two knees that anchor chainplates. The upper and the aft lower shrouds on the port side. I can remove the rotten knee, and replace with an appropriate new one.

But I am also considering moving the chainplates outside the hull, in the traditional area. I could make up good 3/4" backing plates for them. I know this will impinge a bit on sheeting in the jib/genoa, but this is a cruising boat and not a racer. Are you aware of other owners doing this?

A second question is if there is another forum that has more active members? I can see that you have put in some work to make this forum happen and there was some activity, years ago. I keep hearing about 'big Haida 26 groups', but I can't find them.

Thanks for your help.
Stephen
__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 14:16   #22
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 501
Images: 2
pirate Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecohawk View Post
I have rot in two knees that anchor chainplates. The upper and the aft lower shrouds on the port side. I can remove the rotten knee, and replace with an appropriate new one.

But I am also considering moving the chainplates outside the hull, in the traditional area. I could make up good 3/4" backing plates for them. I know this will impinge a bit on sheeting in the jib/genoa, but this is a cruising boat and not a racer. Are you aware of other owners doing this?

A second question is if there is another forum that has more active members? I can see that you have put in some work to make this forum happen and there was some activity, years ago. I keep hearing about 'big Haida 26 groups', but I can't find them.

Thanks for your help.
Stephen
I never found the large group either, There are not of Haidas left sailing.. I personally don't think that I would move the chain plates outside.. They sail so well I wouldn't want to compromise its ability to point.. Just my feelings on the subject.. Did you find your hull number yet, mine is #63 ? Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 21:20   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Someone pointed me to Cruising Anarchy and I tagged on to a thread. Bob Perry looked at the picture I posted and said:

"That was the second deck Ray Richards designed after the original flush deck version. They are rare but they do the entire design justice.

Have fun with your project.

You own one of my all time most favorite boats."

I've attached a poor shot of my boat. The attractive blue tarp is covering leaky ports. The ports are about 12" x 5" plastic opening.

I am keeping the chainplates inboard and found some softness in a couple of other knees. The knees are all easy to access, so not too big a deal.

No, I have not found my hull number. Can you be more specific about the location of yours? You said cockpit foot well. Can you see it when sitting in the cockpit, or is it in a locker? My boat has the galley across just below the companionway, so much of the foot well is hidden there.

Thanks,
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SHROUDS SMALL.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	89884  
__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2014, 00:05   #24
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 501
Images: 2
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecohawk View Post
Someone pointed me to Cruising Anarchy and I tagged on to a thread. Bob Perry looked at the picture I posted and said:

"That was the second deck Ray Richards designed after the original flush deck version. They are rare but they do the entire design justice.

Have fun with your project.

You own one of my all time most favorite boats."

I've attached a poor shot of my boat. The attractive blue tarp is covering leaky ports. The ports are about 12" x 5" plastic opening.

I am keeping the chainplates inboard and found some softness in a couple of other knees. The knees are all easy to access, so not too big a deal.

No, I have not found my hull number. Can you be more specific about the location of yours? You said cockpit foot well. Can you see it when sitting in the cockpit, or is it in a locker? My boat has the galley across just below the companionway, so much of the foot well is hidden there.

Thanks,
Stephen
On the forward end of the foot well under the traveler on a bronze plaque.. Michael..

I'll take a photo of it the next time I get down to the boat...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 10:52   #25
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

I have now determined that all 6 chainplates have been leaking. The one on the starboard bulkhead (which has previously been repaired) seems OK, but the rest are either totally rotten (2) or getting punky (3). Changing the knees isn't a big deal, but the bulkhead on the port side has the dinette seat against it. I have opened it up and am developing a plan of action.

What I wanted to ask you is do your chainplates have covers/collars? I see no evidence that my plates have ever been caulked, nor do I see evidence of covers. If you have covers, do you know a source where I could buy some?

It is my nature to only buy what I can't build. But, in this case if I can get covers for a reasonable price, I may consider it.

Thanks,
Stephen
__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 11:07   #26
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 501
Images: 2
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecohawk View Post
I have now determined that all 6 chainplates have been leaking. The one on the starboard bulkhead (which has previously been repaired) seems OK, but the rest are either totally rotten (2) or getting punky (3). Changing the knees isn't a big deal, but the bulkhead on the port side has the dinette seat against it. I have opened it up and am developing a plan of action.

What I wanted to ask you is do your chainplates have covers/collars? I see no evidence that my plates have ever been caulked, nor do I see evidence of covers. If you have covers, do you know a source where I could buy some?

It is my nature to only buy what I can't build. But, in this case if I can get covers for a reasonable price, I may consider it.

Thanks,
Stephen
You should be able to get the covers at West Marine online.. To seal, use a polysulfide type caulking, I use dumb dumb {window putty}. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:51   #27
Registered User
 
nmuir's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC
Boat: 50' Gulf Commander Pilothouse
Posts: 19
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

My brother-in-law circumnavigated the world on his Haida 26 flush deck 'Aquila'. In addition to many trips around the Gulf Islands (Canada) I had the great pleasure of being able to do the Victoria / Hawaii leg and then another up the Queensland coast to Thursday Island (Torres Strait). I'll send him an email and see if he can share some of his enormous experience. He is a man who is economical with his words, but talking about the good old Haida may inspire him!
__________________
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 21:35   #28
Registered User
 
rubyjean's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Haida 26
Posts: 501
Images: 2
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
My brother-in-law circumnavigated the world on his Haida 26 flush deck 'Aquila'. In addition to many trips around the Gulf Islands (Canada) I had the great pleasure of being able to do the Victoria / Hawaii leg and then another up the Queensland coast to Thursday Island (Torres Strait). I'll send him an email and see if he can share some of his enormous experience. He is a man who is economical with his words, but talking about the good old Haida may inspire him!
Thanks, It would be an honor to have him here... I agree on the seaworthiness of a Haida having logged many sea miles myself with # 63 the Ruby Jean.... Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:42   #29
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
My brother-in-law circumnavigated the world on his Haida 26 flush deck 'Aquila'.
I'm curious whether your brother-in-law might be named Brent? There was a post, somewhere, from Brent57, that mentioned circumnavigating in a Haida 26.

I know Michael on Ruby Jean may have already answered this, but my Haida has a 'liner' that's some sort of fuzzy cloth. I had thought of removing it and painting the interior. Now I am wondering if leaving it on might allow year round use of the boat, without condensation problems. I will be adding a small wood stove.

Stephen
__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:25   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Re: Haida 26 Owners Group

As I have no power at the dock where I am tied up, I will move the Haida to my place in the next couple of weeks. It will be about 50' from my shop and will have lots of heat.

I will pull the mast next week and have been looking at how it is stepped. It would appear it slides down over a 'stub' of some sort, that is fastened to the deck and the supporting bulkhead. From inside, I can see that there are a few electrical wires, including a heavy (#4?) gauge ground cable that enter into the 'stub' (I presume). There are no wires entering the mast from outside the boat.

My main question and concern is this: will I be able to have the crane lift the mast up to some point where I can then disconnect the wires, at a connector or terminal strip inside the mast base? I don't see any breaks or connectors on the wire, inside the cabin.

I guess it might be possible that when the mast was erected it had long wires inside it that were fed through the 'stub', before putting the mast into the 'stub' and then wired in below? In that case I will have to cut these wires, if there is enough slack to lift the mast up that far. Other wise, I will have to make the cuts inside the boat.

Any advice or information will be welcome.

Stephen
__________________

__________________
Ecohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Haida, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leopard Owners Group leehaefele Multihull Sailboats 22 12-03-2016 11:48
Haida 26 rubyjean Monohull Sailboats 49 26-01-2016 22:20
Formosa / CT 41 Owners Group ? Max Mariner General Sailing Forum 15 17-08-2015 08:19
Is there a Hardin Seawolf 40 Owners Group Patrick_DeepPlaya Monohull Sailboats 3 26-03-2008 11:07


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.