Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 22:26   #1

Boat: Haida 26
Haida 26

Does any one else out there sail a Haida 26? Would like to here your likes & dislikes on this boat.....Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 22:41   #2

Boat: 32' Cutter
Friend of mine left from our home port last september with his wife and a friend for Mexico, in their Haida 26. They suffered some rather serious damage to their rigging off the coast of Oregon, made a repair pit stop. Then carried safely on to the sea of Cortez.
LucasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 15:53   #3

I sail a Haida 26 offshore from Victoria bc and back via the cape of good hope and the panama canal in the 1980s if you have one of the early haida s built by mayhew and strut, you have a very tough little boat
some of the stainless rudder and mast fittings can be a bit weak but the rest of the boat is very strong and seaworthy,
brent57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 16:12   #4
cruiser

One of the very best boats ever designed.
I based a good part of my design work around the Haida 26.

I love that boat.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 18:34   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
Looks pretty delicate for an offshore boat.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 20:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent57 View Post
I sail a Haida 26 offshore from Victoria bc and back via the cape of good hope and the panama canal in the 1980s if you have one of the early haida s built by mayhew and strut, you have a very tough little boat
some of the stainless rudder and mast fittings can be a bit weak but the rest of the boat is very strong and seaworthy,
Thank You,
Mine is hull number #63. Brought it down the Oregon coast last month and had new sails made. I was impressed with the speed & the way it handled 25-30' following seas, with out the use of a drouge. I feel very comfortable with her now. Will do more sea trials this winter in Channel Islands. Heading for Ponce, PR. next year this time. Thank You again for the feedback......Michael, skipper of the Ruby Jean
Old 05-11-2010, 20:22   #7

May look delicate but the hull is 1/2 to 1 inch thick at the keel, with fiberglass longitudials and bolted in bulkheads
ballast ratio of 45%
Old 05-11-2010, 21:30   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
This website ( Reference for Haida 26 - Search.com) says Haida's have been RTW 5 times. It's source for the info is defunct.

A guy named Glenn Wakefield took his wife and 2 kids to Oz in one in the mid-Late 90's. Kim Chow around the world single handed non-stop circumnavigation About Glenn

In the Seattle area that had a good rep as a tough boat.

HAIDA 26 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com indicates the light boat SA/D of 17.3, though that undoubtable decreases quite a bit when loaded. Ballast ratio is a bit under 40% per sailboatdata.com, though there are different values for total displacement, which is unsurprising given the 3 main models produced and that some boats were owner finished.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 08:11   #9

haida

I've got a Haida, Mayhew and strutt #7. Is yours flush deck? If so have you done anything with the companion way hatch? Original design requires a bit of mods to keep the water out in rough seas. I find she lifts her bow and the cockpit stays pretty dry. I love this boat. Check your gudgeon welds if they are original. Whats your sail suit for offshore? I find shes a bit tender with a big jenny. I bought this boat because of the reputation.
Haida7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 12:38   #10

mine was a flush deck. before going offshore i built a dog house wich covered the hatch. the early pintles and gudgeons were not very strong. we brok the rudder off 1000 miles offshore on the way to hawaii. mine was hull #4 but dont own one any more.for offshore had a storm jib with a reef in it and a heavy main with 3 reefs
when the going got tough i would lie ahull did this many times with winds around 50kn. i have some of the original articles on the haida if u are interested
Old 26-11-2010, 15:21   #11

thats the thing with the transom mount rudder, but so eay to fix. did the dog house cover the original sliding hatch. I figure without mods a guy would have to leave the half moon washboard in all the time. I usually do anyway and just jump over. I beefed up the galley table to take the landing. it's was a bit spongy anyways. I know a guy who sailed on #5 in Tahiti and said the settes were always wet when offshore. I want to figure out the hatch thing and then build a tough little dodger. Did you leave the outboard in the well when offshore or stow it below. Definatly be interested in the old articles.. how did the chainplates hold up. You know the tabs glassed to the inside of the hull?? and yeah she really does heave to very nicely for a fin keel.
Haida7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 12:30   #12

Thanx Haida 7
I appreaciate the coments, how far do you plan to sail yours?
Michael
Old 19-12-2010, 04:19   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 43
I know a guy from canada that sailed his to hawaii and back with not problems except 20 mph winds constantly
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 13:47   #14

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Michael,

Here is the email to the guy I know with the Haidi 26.

ohally@panamericansilver.com
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 22:42   #15

Boat: Haida 26 (former)
We had a raised cabin model for about five years in the 1970s when we lived in Seattle. We moored it at Edmonds. It had a sort of ugly olive green stripe and deck, one of the optional carved tillers, and one of the wood-burning stoves. It was named Quah-Lah, which I was told by the PO is Haida for leader.

We put a small propane stove/oven on the port side where the end of the quarter berth is, and converted the pipe berths up front to a decent-sized double berth.

We loved the boat. We took it on a six-week cruise to Desolation Sound and numerous shorter cruises in Puget Sound, the San Juans, and the Gulf Islands. Not exactly offshore sailing but we had our share of thrills and the boat was always solid so long as it wasn't overpowered.

We had no problems with the boat, except for the cracks in the deck which was pretty universal. I filled them and painted the deck a light color and added some sand for non-slip and that solved most of the problem.

The only thing I didn't like was the outboard and its weight at the extreme stern. I schemed on a small diesel, which would work if you had a small raised hatch in the cockpit sole for clearance. Fate intervened with a job on the east coast and we sold the boat in 1979.

I have very fond memories of Quah-Lah, and very glad to see there is still interest in these boats. I would love to find another one and see if I could move forward on my re-powering scheme.
Chuck
ctaylor738 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Haida