Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 20:33   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Guns on board. Yes/no

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I'd be more concerned about crossing the 4000 miles of Southern Ocean before you even have the chance to worry about whether to carry guns around Africa or not.

SeaRat, if you're actually serious in your question, and you're not a troll, then perhaps share more info about your boat, level of experience, etc., because in all honestly it seems like this is just another joke thread like most "guns onboard" threads seem to be.

SeaRat joined CF in April of this year, and the thread is started by the second post.
Imho, that's all you need to know.

My personal opinion? SeaRat is having a good laugh about now.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 20:59   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Tends to lead credence to tossing a stink bomb and running doesn't it.
Give the man a medal for deep thought !

Ayn Rand
Old 29-05-2017, 21:35   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
'Bout all we're good for, eh? But mostly now it's around the dinghy dock...

Jim
Jim,
I take offense ! I just had a gueling 3 day experience consisting of a daysail all the way from Whidbey Island to Port Gamble (a DDW spinnaker run). We took our our lives in our hands with seas or at least a foot !
Three days later even though it was sunny and 65 degrees f. we sailed UPWIND in 19 knots apparent with A REEF in the mainsail ! Frankie, our boat's Snowshoe Siamise cat actually THREW UP because of the HORRIBLE SHORT STEEP WAVES of ebb against the current at least 2 FEET !!
We got home to our neighborhood in about two and a half hours, but we had to anchor nearby with WAVES of an average of A FOOT because we COULDN'T ENTER OUR LAGOON until FIVE HOURS LATER because the tide was too low.

If anyone believes the above, it's all true, but if these details actually alarms you you are NOT READY TO SAIL ANYTHING beyond a standup paddleboard In a LAKE.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankie helping with the dishes.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	148705   Click image for larger version

Name:	drone photo taken 3  18 2017.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	148706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1131.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	148707  

Ayn Rand
Old 30-05-2017, 04:29   #79
CLOD

Boat: none

My fly swatter aim gets pretty poor when the boat rocks just a little. It scares the flies, but they just buzz around and attack from a different direction.
Old 30-05-2017, 06:05   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
What about a nice fuel pump setup, hose and nozzle. No one can arrest you for having a fuel transfer pump and hose.

And a serious deterrent if you accidently sprayed a pirate boat then unfortunately it caught fire at the same time.
Wouldn't the "bad guys" have to be pretty close to be able to use this contraption? Wouldn't that be self-defeating? What happens if they come at you from upwind? Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My fly swatter aim gets pretty poor when the boat rocks just a little. It scares the flies, but they just buzz around and attack from a different direction.
A few years ago we came out of Half Moon Bay (California) heading back to San Francisco (not on a Labor Day weekend show...) and passed the fish plant. It took us five HOURS to kill all the damn flies! :smile :
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 08:25   #81

Setting aside the silliness of this troll-induced thread, I personally agree that there is little need for firearms on a normal basis during cruising in relatively peaceful destinations. However there certainly are situations where you may want one onboard for a particular leg.

I'll be facing the need to transfer my boat from the Persian Gulf, up through the Red Sea into the Med in about 4 or 5 years. Who knows what the piracy situation will be at that time, but if I make that trip I would most certainly acquire a firearm of any type, through whatever means necessary, during the passage. Probably just toss it into the water when entering the safety of Saudi Waters or the Canal itself.

Being a pacifist and loving thy neighbor won't save your arse if a skiff of aggressors approaches. There are numerous cases cited of just the display of firearms being enough deterrent to make the skiffs turn around. In any case, who wants to be a lamp chop when crossing a savannah full of lions???

Edit: Hmm, speaking of deterrent. Nothing wrong with carrying a plastic or wooden toy rifle around. Better than nothing that's for sure!
mako is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 08:34   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Wouldn't the "bad guys" have to be pretty close to be able to use this contraption? Wouldn't that be self-defeating? What happens if they come at you from upwind? Seriously.

A few years ago we came out of Half Moon Bay (California) heading back to San Francisco (not on a Labor Day weekend show...) and passed the fish plant. It took us five HOURS to kill all the damn flies! :smile :
Get one or more of these, YOU WILL THANK ME !

electric bug zapper racket | eBay

Ayn Rand
Old 30-05-2017, 08:43   #83

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Get one or more of these, YOU WILL THANK ME !

electric bug zapper racket | eBay

We use these all the time here, I love ruining around the bedroom frying the little buggers. The ones that have been feeding on your blood make a really big sizzle. Revenge...
masonc is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 09:38   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Guns on board. Yes/no

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Setting aside the silliness of this troll-induced thread, I personally agree that there is little need for firearms on a normal basis during cruising in relatively peaceful destinations. However there certainly are situations where you may want one onboard for a particular leg.

I'll be facing the need to transfer my boat from the Persian Gulf, up through the Red Sea into the Med in about 4 or 5 years. Who knows what the piracy situation will be at that time, but if I make that trip I would most certainly acquire a firearm of any type, through whatever means necessary, during the passage. Probably just toss it into the water when entering the safety of Saudi Waters or the Canal itself.

Being a pacifist and loving thy neighbor won't save your arse if a skiff of aggressors approaches. There are numerous cases cited of just the display of firearms being enough deterrent to make the skiffs turn around. In any case, who wants to be a lamp chop when crossing a savannah full of lions???

Edit: Hmm, speaking of deterrent. Nothing wrong with carrying a plastic or wooden toy rifle around. Better than nothing that's for sure!

Quite a few have had their boats transported on the back of ships, in that area.
I'd at least want to convoy if that is possible I'd assume maybe people do that as well? Sometimes there is safety in numbers.

Regarding a fake weapon, That may well get you killed I would think as the aggressor may now think your armed and shoot you first?
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 10:00   #85

True, Pilot, that you never know how things will go in whatever situation. Could make things worse. BTW I did negotiate with Maersk ro-ro for a transport cost that works out to be the same as my paying for my fuel, tickets and related costs. Will see what happens as that is still a long way off.
mako is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 10:14   #86

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

Quote:

While limitations are obvious, it seems like an interesting start to dealing with pirates. One of the myriad problems with guns is that almost everybody will be thoroughly outgunned. We badly need a decent defense against pirates.

Pirates are like crime and rape. The problem is poo-poo'd by those who have not been burglarized or raped. When it happens, it transforms ones life and outlook. Pirates have also been known to kill.

If enough smart people worked on a solution, a viable solution would likely arise. Aside from simply staying away. How does one avoid Africa while doing a circumnavigation?
softdown is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 12:18   #87

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
About 25m max

I'd turn

If I was a bad guy and someone soaked me and my boat in fuel and lit me up even if I was 1m from their boat I'd jump overboard.

The only advantage you have is they have to get close to you to board you.
Old 30-05-2017, 12:27   #88

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

A good flare gun with lots of flares is more effective than any gun. Experience speaking
Captndave1 is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 12:37   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on board. Yes/no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
A good flare gun with lots of flares is more effective than any gun. Experience speaking
You reckon..??

https://youtu.be/MU8h2s0LnNQ

https://youtu.be/8xm9dndA1-0

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 30-05-2017, 12:41   #90
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I believe that, as long as you mean that the Navy etc. sees it and comes to check it out.

Tags
Guns