Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2017, 06:07   #31

Re: Guns on board. Yes/no

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea Rat View Post
Im on the cape horn.planning a trip anti clockwise arround africa.
I'd be more concerned about crossing the 4000 miles of Southern Ocean before you even have the chance to worry about whether to carry guns around Africa or not.

SeaRat, if you're actually serious in your question, and you're not a troll, then perhaps share more info about your boat, level of experience, etc., because in all honestly it seems like this is just another joke thread like most "guns onboard" threads seem to be.
mako is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 06:13   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I have no idea where you spent your formative years, yet some people, myself included, are VERY good with hitting targets using firearms ... regardless if that is from a rolling boat, a bouncy Jeep, or from a soggy moss deep in the woods. When I aim, I usually score. "One percent"? Hahaha, really? You think so?

By the way, what does "driving cross country" mean? Your words are very informative about your childhood and your experience. Take care.
Have to stop taking yourself too seriously. I was refering to the obviously hypothetical/ridiculous and quoted post aboiut the use of a M106RR (which I have fired) aboard a boat. If you knew this weapon would recognize the ridiculous aspect of firing it from an unstabalized moving platform. You realize this is not a shoulder fired weapon?
bvander is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 06:22   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guns on board. Yes/no

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Please stay home. The US had flooded the region with firearms, we don't need anymore.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 06:26   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

There's pirates galore in the Caribbean and S America.. Africa is a hotbed for piracy as well.. as for the Med.. with all these ISIS terrorists motoring over to Italy posing as terrorists.. be safe.. be armed..
Most wear uniforms and you get in SERIOUS trouble pulling a gun on them.
Old 29-05-2017, 07:24   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
Please stay home. The US had flooded the region with firearms, we don't need anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
Not a lot of data on that area, check noonsite, jimmy Cornell's "world cruising guide" and then a lot of researxh of each countries customs websites and phone calls to consulats.

That is Boatie being sarcastic, while I'm sure he knows how, I do not think Boatie ever carries a firearm.

However I would be seriously surprised if any of us could answer the question asked as none of us ever venture into the area.
I have never been to Detroit, but I have enough sense to know to stay out of certain areas there especially after Midnight, before dawn, and to try to mitigate the odds by going armed would be foolish. Best way to mitigate it is to avoid the area.

Same here, avoid those areas
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 07:37   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post

SeaRat, if you're actually serious in your question, and you're not a troll, then perhaps share more info about your boat, level of experience, etc., because in all honestly it seems like this is just another joke thread like most "guns onboard" threads seem to be.
Well at least someone else figured it out...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 07:43   #37

Who are you going to shoot in the southern ocean? Yes lots of pirates down there.You are much more likely to need a gun in your marina than out at sea
lars is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 07:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally I would not leave the USA without at least two.. something like an AK47 with end to end taped clips prepped and stored in a handy place plus a sawn off pump action shotgun and 50 boxes of LG for close and dirty.
There's pirates galore in the Caribbean and S America.. Africa is a hotbed for piracy as well.. as for the Med.. with all these ISIS terrorists motoring over to Italy posing as terrorists.. be safe.. be armed..
Travelled all around the world, sailed the caribean, place I would most likely want to be armed is the U, especially southern florida. Felt pretty safe most other areas.
Contrary to public opinion Africa is not a hotbed of piracy, there are a couple of bad areas.
Its like seeing the crime rate in Miami Dade and interpolating that to rest of North America.
bvander is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 08:24   #39

Quote:
Have to stop taking yourself too seriously. I was refering to the obviously hypothetical/ridiculous and quoted post aboiut the use of a M106RR (which I have fired) aboard a boat. If you knew this weapon would recognize the ridiculous aspect of firing it from an unstabalized moving platform. You realize this is not a shoulder fired weapon?
My apologies! I did not read the entire thread.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 08:47   #40

Boat: Catalina 375

OK my take on this. I am a gun nut, own 10, various calibers and lived in Africa 25 years and Latin America 5 years. I have visited or lived in many of the ports around Africa. The biggest risk in Africa ( apart from Somalia, Libya and Algeria) is to be screwed by either Law enforcement or Customs officers in these countries. Your boat is guaranteed to be well searched at least once, but probably many times. So I doubt you can hide weapons. So your offense will be that you do not have a permit for your guns in the port you are at. So they will seize the guns. Then there will be a big fine. That is what they are really after and it will be paid in cash. The cash will be split by the officials on board.
The next hurdle is that probably 1/3 of the coast of Africa speaks French. So it will be difficult to talk your way out of an issue if you do not speak French. More money! I had a friend who had his boat seized in Guinea, Conakry. Never got it back and he was Africa savvy.
The next hurdle is that a lot of the coast is covered by Chinese fishing boats. The fishermen are usually criminals so not nice guys. They could board you and there you need guns. There is no local police or coast guard to protect you. The problem is you lost your guns in the last port to the Customs officials.
So in conclusion, I would probably not carry guns sailing around Africa. I would however, carry a lot of 12 gauge flares with multiple pistols to fire them. They can do a lot of damage in an ugly situation. Just remember to fire them outside your cabin.
In my opinion African people are very friendly and for the most part harmless. They just want money. For the French countries I would carry lots of small Euros. Small USD can work as well. Good Luck.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 09:10   #41

Boat: Allegro 33

I have been thinking of how to defend one self from pirates.

What about this idea ?
Make a torpedo which you tow behind the boat. I imagine it can be made of a number of dynamite sticks. Then mantle it with ball bearing balls along it's length. That way the blow will go to the side and not towards your boat.
The detonator cable needs to be run in the towline so you can ignite it when the pirates come close enough. The hole thing needs a watertight cover of course but that should be easily penetrated by the balls.

I have read in another thread of how to make a cloud behind the boat by injecting antifreeze into the muffler of the engine. Maybe it would be a good idea as a compliment.

I have no idea if the torpedo has to be declared when entering a country. What questions are asked ? It's not a gun is it ?
hasse_A is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 09:46   #42

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
You shooting from a moving platform, probabikity of a hit is under 1%
Be like trying to engage a moving target off the jeep while driving cross country.
Good thing the guys comprising Seal Team 6 successfully rescuing Captain Phillips didn't know that
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 10:09   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Guns on board. Yes/no

OK guys don't get upset, the torpedo thing is I'm sure a joke, if nothing else I'd imagine it would slow me down from 6+ kts to maybe 2?

Yes you can to hit from a moving platform, especially something that is rhythmic and repeats like a boat. Something that is not like a helicopter can be trained as well, but your talking constant practice, repetition, repetition, repetition. Ask any Vietnam door gunner, some of them got very good after a million rounds or so.
Not realistic for the average Sailor.

I'm proud of you guys so far, it hasn't gone ballistic yet, and has for the most part been logically presented.
While I am no real gun nut myself I have looked deep into the reality of being armed while overseas cruising and have come to a conclusion.
It has nothing to do with your ability to hit a target, how well you handle a gun or whether your an Olympic class marksman or not.
The reality is possession is tough, very likely will or can land you in a very bad prison, cause you to permanently lose you your boat and other equally really bad things.
But what really convinced me was when I researched the implications of if I used a firearm, you are very likely to be put into a very bad place for a very long time after losing your boat and everything you may have.

You are no longer in the US and US rules do not apply, you are a guest in another country, you had better play by their rules. Forget what you read on any forum, research the rules of possession and use for where you intend to travel, you may come to a similar conclusion.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 29-05-2017, 10:10   #44

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

While transiting the Suez Canal, I believe you will have to arrange for your guns to travel overland, in bond.

I would NOT want to circumnavigate Africa. When you know you are going to need guns to defend your baot, you know you are going somewhere you ought to not go.

I have no problem with owners arming their boats. With proper training and forethought I think it can be a pretty good idea. I also thing sailing unarmed should be a viable option and it is only a viable option if you avoid hot spots. The entire Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Suez, Horn of Africa, and a wide area of the Indian Ocean as far as Madagascar and Mauritius are bad places to be. You can't avoid it. Nigeria you can simply avoid by staying well off, like 300-400 miles off.

Could you tell us a little about your boat, and your experience sailing and your experience/training with firearms, as well as what guns you already own?
Old 29-05-2017, 10:29   #45

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Just wondering where the OP has gotten off to while we all debate the topic (again)?
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns