Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 09:24   #1
just ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northeast
Boat: 43' sloop
Posts: 8,076
Gulfstar

For an older builder that built quite a number of boats; there seems to be very little info available about Gulfstar sailboats. Even the owners assocation site really has nothing. I have gotten the impression that the boats varied in quality quite a lot and even in their time the documentation/manuals were kind of lacking. But at the same time I always look at a boat from the 80's as if it surveys well it is gnerally built well regardless of the names rep. But is would be nice to know some of the general build quality info about Gulfstar's contruction. So if there are any Gulfstar owners out there who know where to find some would love to know about it.
__________________

__________________
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 24,633
Images: 240
In 1970, Vince Lazzara founded Gulfstar Yachts, building sail and powerboats of up to 65 feet. In 1989, Gulfstar was sold to Viking Yachts.
Gulf Star built a lot of different models, all to a price point.
Sailboats built by Gulfstar Yachts on Sailboatdata.com

Gulfstar Owners Club
6709 1st Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33707
Tel: 727-347-4500
Fax: 727-347-4600
Email: gulfstaroc@aol.com
Web: GULFSTAR*Owners*Club
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:45   #3
Registered User
 
svHyLyte's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa Bay area, USA
Boat: Beneteau First 42
Posts: 2,558
Images: 25
For what it's worth, the authors Tom and Melanie Neal lived aboard and cruised a Gulfstar with their two daughters for many years, routinely transiting from the Annapolis area to the Bahamas and back as the season's changed. Tom swore by the boat at the SSCA's meetings. I have no personal experience with the boats but one of the member's of our club has the 57, which is beautifully maintained, and he and his wife love the boat. (I suppose one should correctly refer to the yacht as a motor-sailer but, in any case, it is a lovely looking boat.)

Happy New Year...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40   #4
Registered User
 
marc2012's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: abbeville la
Boat: seawind II Patience
Posts: 542
Had a gulfstar basically a good boat,very attractive,very comfortable .Frp gives some moisture problems.Most have some blister issues .Comfortable sea boats.Mine did not point well.Right, little info from owners forum.Would recommend if you want a showy comfortable boat.marc
__________________
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 13:39   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 11,315
My friends have had a GS 44 for about 20 years. Sailed many places including from Seattle to New Zealand. Never heard any complaints about strength or deck core issues etc...
__________________
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,225
Images: 2
Having been a Gulfstar owner and cruiser for nearly 20 years, don't buy one unless you intend to stay close enough to a shore to swim there. As was said they were built to a "price point". I have friends who worked in the factory when they were being built and many "shortcuts" were routinely done to save costs.
- - However, the interiors and layout is one of the best ever designed and they are very comfortable to live in. We build an affection for any boat we live in for a period of time which is rarely tempered by cold reality. The proof of the value of the construction and durability of a boat is in its current market price. Certain brands have high resale prices and some typically have very low ones. Gulfstars are in the low end which makes them more affordable per foot of boat to buy. However, depending upon your nautical karma, you will curse the day you bought it or merrily sail around enjoying the fabulous comfortable interior.
- - I would not take mine around the world but as an island boat it is fabulous. Bottom line, it all depends upon how you intend to use the boat and how much money you have (per foot of boat) to spend.
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31   #7
Registered User
 
speciald@ocens.'s Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the boat - Carib, Chesapeake
Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Posts: 1,139
Gulfstar hulls were made with chopper gun not fiberglass cloth if I remember right. So the construcion is not as strong. The family still makes boats - Lazarra power yachts.
__________________
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36   #8
just ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northeast
Boat: 43' sloop
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Having been a Gulfstar owner and cruiser for nearly 20 years, don't buy one unless you intend to stay close enough to a shore to swim there. As was said they were built to a "price point". I have friends who worked in the factory when they were being built and many "shortcuts" were routinely done to save costs.
- - However, the interiors and layout is one of the best ever designed and they are very comfortable to live in. We build an affection for any boat we live in for a period of time which is rarely tempered by cold reality. The proof of the value of the construction and durability of a boat is in its current market price. Certain brands have high resale prices and some typically have very low ones. Gulfstars are in the low end which makes them more affordable per foot of boat to buy. However, depending upon your nautical karma, you will curse the day you bought it or merrily sail around enjoying the fabulous comfortable interior.
- - I would not take mine around the world but as an island boat it is fabulous. Bottom line, it all depends upon how you intend to use the boat and how much money you have (per foot of boat) to spend.

I don't know about this, seemed very harsh! The boat I was looking at when I asked this was the 44 centercockpit (not the motor sailor) and they appear to be priced at same level as others for age/size. And if a boat was contructed poorly I think it is going to show after 25+ years. You may be right, but it is kind of like saying all Benedeaus are death traps.
__________________
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:01   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,225
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
Gulfstar hulls were made with chopper gun not fiberglass cloth if I remember right. So the construcion is not as strong. The family still makes boats - Lazarra power yachts.
Gulfstar layups were done with real layers of roving with chopper guns to soak the cloth with resin and even out the surface to allow the next layer of roving to be laid. Chopper gun technology was in its infancy at that time. All the "high output" manufacturers were using chopper guns as they could produce two or more hulls per day versus one per month with total hand lay ups. Chopper gun use is at the root of the osmotic blister/delamination saga that came to plague boats that were built using it. But that's a long story.
- - Since all boats of that era with "hand built" - vacuum bagging and Skrimp were not invented yet - there was radical variations in the "quality" of each hull as the daily life of the workers and presence of the "cheapster" boss/supervisor caused significant differences in "attention to detail" during layup of a particular hull, etc.
- - As with Ferrocement, there are good ones and not-so-good ones. It is really in your personal knowledge and skill at examining and "surveying" a prospective boat for purchase that will determine whether that particular hull is good, great, or horrible. In every old vessel there are "gems" and there are "lemons."
- - As to price ranges, you have to look at the whole market as there are plenty of other "not so well done" brand boats besides Gulfstar and then there are consistently well done boats that command a significantly higher price.
- - Your personal preferences and wallet will determine which one is to be "your boat." On rough average you can expect to spend an amount of money equal to your purchase price to bring a 20+ years old boat up to real seaworthy standards. If you find a "gem" then your subsequent costs will be minimal, and that is the reason they are called "gems."
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 375
Hey Don you looking at the one in Boston. nice boat had a lot of work done at Hinckley? we've been kind of looking to. we have a G.S. 37 and love the boat. sails well but doesn't point real high. had her for 5 ys now. our's still has orig. interior and sails etc. new motor in 94. we do have moisture in side decks at drains and in coach roof (maintenance issue from p.o. the only prob. i know of about most G.S.s is lack of maintenance like any boat. also there were were some models like the 50s(not CSY) that have had real blister problems, and de-bonding of the rudder post tube. i just got Charlie Doans book on maintenance and sailed one yrs ago. only complaint was being heavy and not pointing. the 37 and the 44 seem to be of better quality than most. excluding the big ones like the 60s up as these were well built, but again everything depends on maint.
__________________
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:17   #11
just ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northeast
Boat: 43' sloop
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Hey Don you looking at the one in Boston. nice boat had a lot of work done at Hinckley? we've been kind of looking to. we have a G.S. 37 and love the boat. sails well but doesn't point real high. had her for 5 ys now. our's still has orig. interior and sails etc. new motor in 94. we do have moisture in side decks at drains and in coach roof (maintenance issue from p.o. the only prob. i know of about most G.S.s is lack of maintenance like any boat. also there were were some models like the 50s(not CSY) that have had real blister problems, and de-bonding of the rudder post tube. i just got Charlie Doans book on maintenance and sailed one yrs ago. only complaint was being heavy and not pointing. the 37 and the 44 seem to be of better quality than most. excluding the big ones like the 60s up as these were well built, but again everything depends on maint.
Once I got a little interested in the GS 44 I looked at all of the ones listed. So the one in Boston is interesting because it is only 30 miles away from me. But it seems way overpriced compared to both other GS44s (it's not $30k nicer) and other choices in the price range. If it's still around when the time comes maybe I'll take a look. But when people price thier boat (that's been listed a while) 30% higher than others it makes me think they are in love with it and only have it listed to support their belief.
__________________
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:20   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 375
Don the others are the motor sailor for on the cheap. if you go on the web you'll see most of the nice ones are around this price range and also a boat being up here in the N.E.the owner will try to get more $ because the boats are only in the water for half a season (use wise) and the standard of living is higher (what the market will bear). they probably are trying to recoup some of what Hinckley charged them for the work. The motor is new that's about 15k-20k. there are a couple in Fl. for around $109,000-$129,000 i think if i remember right. we checked one out at the Newport used boat show a few yrs ago a ketch rig (there are only 2-3 of this model) and were very impressed with the boat. room, layout, walk in engine room, etc.
my concern is why the new sole and some of the other major interior work. makes me wonder if this was a rat that's been refurbished.
I don't like the hull color will make it hot in summer inside and show every blemish and mark on hull
__________________
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:37   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern California
Boat: Irwin 43
Posts: 35
Images: 3
Our search for a CC boat last year came down to buying an endeavor, irwin, gulfstar or morgan. My understanding is that these boats were built in the 70's and 80's in Florida and have a lot in common. Our conclusion was that these boats were build mostly for the charter business, however several of each model of CC was purchased by individuals. We came to the conculsioin that they would meet our needs for a sailboat and purchased an Irwin 43.

So far, we have enjoyed her, we are able to sail at 6-7 knots with a 15 know wind at 40 degrees to the bow. We've had her in a 7-10 ft swell with 20-25 knot winds, and we had a great ride.

Many on this site do not like this class of boats, I think it is similar to the MAC versu PC mentality. It has to do with marketing and positioning of product that were prodcued 20 years ago. We did not purchase a boat to try and conquer the perfect storm. In fact we make every effort to stay away from heavy weather. My guess is that with the communications devices and electronic navigation equipement we will most likely be able to stay away from the perfect storm.

Our boat cost just south of 90K and we have about 140K into her at this point. From looking at the Gulfstar in Boston, I would consider it to be a good buy.
__________________
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15   #14
just ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northeast
Boat: 43' sloop
Posts: 8,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d. View Post
Don the others are the motor sailor for on the cheap. if you go on the web you'll see most of the nice ones are around this price range and also a boat being up here in the N.E.the owner will try to get more $ because the boats are only in the water for half a season (use wise) and the standard of living is higher (what the market will bear). they probably are trying to recoup some of what Hinckley charged them for the work. The motor is new that's about 15k-20k. there are a couple in Fl. for around $109,000-$129,000 i think if i remember right. we checked one out at the Newport used boat show a few yrs ago a ketch rig (there are only 2-3 of this model) and were very impressed with the boat. room, layout, walk in engine room, etc.
my concern is why the new sole and some of the other major interior work. makes me wonder if this was a rat that's been refurbished.
I don't like the hull color will make it hot in summer inside and show every blemish and mark on hull
I looked on line at every GS44 on the market (I dothis for any model that catches my eye).There are other GS44s with newer engines much lower priced, so an extra $20-30k for one with only 120 hours isn't worth it in my mind. I too question all the work and in looking at the Boston one there seems to be signs of a flooded boat. But again there are others that haven't had a new sole installed that look fine. And I agree that a new black paint job is a negative not a plus as it is going to be hot and mark up a lot. In general I like the layout and based on the pictures they seem well built. Near as I can tell they are a little under-sailed for power.Just one of the models that look interesting, but have to sell my Cal-39 first regardless. But I would probably go look at the Boston one when the time comes if no no other reason that to see if I really like the lay out in order to shop the model.
__________________
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 13:24   #15
just ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Northeast
Boat: 43' sloop
Posts: 8,076
Kind of amazing that with the number of Gulfstars out there there is so little input. But if I had asked about Hunters it would be 4 pages by now. Maybe this means overall the Gulfstars are just a mystery.
__________________

__________________
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gulfstar, paracelle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 Gulfstar KIWI Monohull Sailboats 13 09-06-2013 06:37
Gulfstar traveler replacement Safari Tu Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 4 14-01-2009 10:42
37 Gulfstar Prop svsamira Construction, Maintenance & Refit 0 06-08-2007 14:07
Gulfstar 44 vs 47 sailorgal Monohull Sailboats 3 23-11-2005 11:16
Gulfstar Sailmaster Carol Monohull Sailboats 4 28-11-2004 14:55


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Sailing News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with the latest cruising news.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.