Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 29-07-2015, 05:54   #76

Re: Gulfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMT2 View Post
We own and live aboard our 1975 Gulfstar M53 Motorsailor (Ketch). We are quite happy with her (recently traveling from Tampa to the Chesapeake). We bought her to enjoy coastal and Caribbean cruising but have no desire to cross an ocean or circumnavigate. We think she is well suited for our lifestyle; is in excellent shape and certainly "right for us." The PO paid close/loving attention to routine inspection/maintenance as do we.

Lots of opinions and well documented knowledge floating in this long-running thread. Some of which we have experienced as true - and some we have yet to identify is a problem on "our boat."

Noteworthy...Our reputable surveyor found no evidence of pox/blisters on our last haul-out. Our next haul-out will be 2016 to do some more upgrades (rear thruster, forward looking sonar, extended swim platform, new thru-hulls, chain-plate replacement and the routine maintain and replace actions along with a full bottom job).

In the interest of contributing to the Gulfstar knowledge base (if useful to anyone), I have the original architect drawings of our vessel from her construction that I'd be happy to photograph and provide to someone wanting to see them.

Fair Winds to all.
Thanks for your note. Interesting that you sailed from Tampa to MD. We sailed from Tampa to Norfolk and then on to New London, CT. We will likely return to Chesapeake Bay in the winter because New London freezes. I have some of the original drawings of our boat including the hull and mast arrangement. What I would really like to see is a wiring schematic for a large Gulfstar.

Thanks!

Old 30-07-2015, 05:17   #77

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

mlucitt...I checked my drawings - sorry, no wiring schematic reflected.

Old 09-08-2015, 13:12   #78

Boat: 1981 Gulfstar Sailmaster 39'

Also, to all the other gulfstar owners. My wife and I are starting a blog about a refit on a 1981 Sailmaster 39. Wouldn't mind having any input people have to offer!

AD-VENTUREOUTSAILING
Old 27-03-2017, 18:19   #79

Boat: Ohlson 35,1961/Pearson 30 Coaster 1968

are you still on this boat,i am looking at a78 aft cockpit,are the decks and house cored? thank you
Old 27-03-2017, 19:54   #80

Don't know if helps but hole saw plug from installing wash down pump fitting on deck on our 78 gulfstar 37. Balsa Core 1/2", top laminate about 3/16", bottom laminate 1/16". Just little over 3/4" total.Click image for larger version

Name:	1490666020546.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	144105
Old 27-03-2017, 20:17   #81

Boat: Ohlson 35,1961/Pearson 30 Coaster 1968

Thank you ,the core looks great,seems like some leaks around the two cabin top hatches have created a mess on the one i am looking at,thank you again,Brian
Old 28-03-2017, 12:22   #82

Boat: Gulfstar 37, Wanderlust
Send a message via Skype™ to sf-robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtosea07 View Post
Thank you ,the core looks great,seems like some leaks around the two cabin top hatches have created a mess on the one i am looking at,thank you again,Brian
We had leaks this past winter on both ports over the saloon. Figured out they are Atkin Hoyle ports and ordered replacement gasket material. The "give" of the gasket material is critical. I tried a same size from a local chandlery (perfect I'm sure for another brand port), but it didn't work. Last rains and the inside of the boat appeared to be dry.

We also had leaks from the mast and installed a boot made from an inner tube. Seems to work just fine.

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 12:25   #83

Boat: Gulfstar 37, Wanderlust
Send a message via Skype™ to sf-robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar37 View Post
Don't know if helps but hole saw plug from installing wash down pump fitting on deck on our 78 gulfstar 37. Balsa Core 1/2", top laminate about 3/16", bottom laminate 1/16". Just little over 3/4" total.Attachment 144105
I'm thinking about installing a washdown pump on our GS37 as well. Do you have any documentation on what you did, pump installed, fitting on deck, etc.

Since installing a compost toilet we have two unused thru holes that would be terrific for an anchor raw water washdown.

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 13:00   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf-robert View Post
I'm thinking about installing a washdown pump on our GS37 as well. Do you have any documentation on what you did, pump installed, fitting on deck, etc.

Since installing a compost toilet we have two unused thru holes that would be terrific for an anchor raw water washdown.

Robert
I have a Jabsco pump mounted under the head sink on mine. I'll get the part number for you, but any ~5gpm pump will do. I'm actually not a huge fan of Jabsco...

The hose then runs up the chainplate access space aft of the vanity to the deck.

Also, in response to some comments earlier in this thread, the previous owner sailed my 37 across the Pacific and back and then from California to Annapolis via Panama. Last summer I took her to Bermuda. So
Old 29-03-2017, 08:35   #85

Boat: 1981 Gulfstar Sailmaster 39'

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtosea07 View Post
The boat is cored above the waterline. Solid fiberglass below. We also have some soft spots that we fixed. There seems to be leaks all over the side windows and some hatches. Repared the bad areas and now starting to fix the leaks. Windows are simple, just recalk, but the hatches require a little more work. Hope this helps!

Tags
gulfstar, paracelle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: