Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 15:48   #61

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Gulfstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant II View Post
Osirissail's loud & broad opinion is indeed unfortunate. His knowledge is reflected by the fact he bought a Gulfstar motor sailer. Yes, big, roomy and actually a powerboat surplus hull with a keel slapped on. Power boats never seemed to be Lazzarra's passion and suffered for it.. . . .
[Huh? The boats are single piece molded hulls - there are no "detachable" keels or "keels that can be "slapped on".]
I specialize in restoring GS50's and GS44, . . .
Every boat has it's detractor - i.e. someone who missed a payment and the bank took the boat back et al... Consider your source...
[Where in heck did that statement come from? Are you asserting that my Gulfstar - that I own outright and am currently still living on - was repossessed from me? ]

I glad you can know me so well as to cast aspirations on my experiences with Gulfstars in the Atlantic and Caribbean while you seem to have your experience only in the Pacific and western coasts. . .

Everybody has their own experiences and each is valid within their own areas. You do not know me or my history so your claim to "expertise" is a bit egotistical in the least.

However, your own experiences are indeed just as valid as my experiences with Gulfstars. Only mine are based on the 1970's versions and also my personal friendships with workers who actually worked in the Gulfstar factory making these boats. You can learn a lot from the guys who actually laid up the hulls and put the boats together and had daily contact with the management of the factory.

With any boat be it a Gulfstar, or anything else, there are hulls that were not done as well as other brands of boats - i.e., made to price-point with a management who at the time was characterized by the workers as cheap and corner cutters.

Later in the history of Gulfstar things most probably changed (Gulfstar built over 560 power boats and over 1100 sailboats) - but anybody seriously looking at 30+ year old boats had better examine them very carefully and learn how they were built so you don't spend significant money and then have to chainsaw the remnants into the demsey dumpster at worst or invest nearly what you paid for the boat in correcting deficiencies that other brands do not have.

If you are in the business of rebuilding a brand of boat and then selling it for a profit then I might be a little suspect as to "glowing" recommendations of that particular band of boat.

Cruisers who actually own a particular brand boat and are still living and cruising on them would, in my opinion, be a better source of recommendations than someone who does not live on one and buys them for churning after some refurb'ing.

But bottom line, everybody has different experiences and opinions all of which are valid within their areas and lives. Nobody is the "one and only expert" and everybody else is "lesser" because they have had different experiences and knowledge.

A smart buyer of an "old" boat has best listen to all the experiences and opinions that can be found and then use their own common sense to evaluate a boat they are interested in buying.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 14:56   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I'm thinking that this thread needs to be brought out of the dusty past. If we keep an even keel we could create a nice body of information on Gulfstars.

I have hull #3 , 1975 GS50 aux. It is a sloop in the 2 cabin design. I've not put a thruster into it yet but someday. Then we will have a better idea of the hull.

If anybody has more info on the GS50 construction for each year it would be great to get it in this thread.

-Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 15:17   #63

Boat: Gulfstar 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
I'm thinking that this thread needs to be brought out of the dusty past. If we keep an even keel we could create a nice body of information on Gulfstars.

I have hull #3 , 1975 GS50 aux. It is a sloop in the 2 cabin design. I've not put a thruster into it yet but someday. Then we will have a better idea of the hull.

If anybody has more info on the GS50 construction for each year it would be great to get it in this thread.

-Regards
We have a 1978 Gulfstar 37 aft cockpit and love the boat. All boats are compromises and the balance for us with this boat is positive.

I'd invite you to check out a fairly active Facebook group on Gulfstar boats - it's the most active thing for the line I'm seeing . . .

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gulfstarboats/

Robert
sf-robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23   #64

Boat: Gulfstar 37

We just bought an Gulfstar 37 aft cockpit a few months ago and love her. The interior is very spacious, great for living aboard. We bought her from the original owner, so she is in pristine condition. The surveyor we used said Gulfstars are great boats, particularly the 37, and he said this boat would carry us safely wherever we wanted to go.
MysticKnotworkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:57   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKnotworkJ View Post
We just bought an Gulfstar 37 aft cockpit a few months ago and love her. The interior is very spacious, great for living aboard. We bought her from the original owner, so she is in pristine condition. The surveyor we used said Gulfstars are great boats, particularly the 37, and he said this boat would carry us safely wherever we wanted to go.

MysticKnotworkJ,

We have hull #100 a 78 aft 37. I'm sure you will not be disappointed in your purchase. Google "Wanderlust". Robert has a great blog about many places they have been and modification (improvements) they have made. We have made many ourselves.

Happy Sailing
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:19   #66

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

I made several round trips to the BVI on a Gulfstar 37 in the 70's. It was a good sailing boat and beautiful interior.

We currently own a 1983 Gulfstar 36 Aux Sail. (#8 of 23) It is very roomy and has responded well to many upgrades and repairs as any older boat would.

Like all 30 year ol boats that have been used hard (Charter) it has been a lot of work and money. We bought it from the insurance company.

"Antares" was sunk in the Chesapeake due to the strut breaking out of the bottom. This was caused by a prop blade breaking off (Casting issue?) and the charter party running it for six hours like this. After raising her and looking at the strut it was clear that the factory had been a bit cheap on the laminate schedual in that area.

We took several years to put the old girl back together and have cruised very comfortably for 7 years and 25k miles.

If you are handy a Gulfstar can be a great bargain. Especially begining frm 77-78 > as there was a huge interior upgrade on the products.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:32   #67

Boat: Gulfstar 37 At Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKnotworkJ View Post

We have a '79 Gulfstar 37, hull 146. My wife and I bought her 8 years ago and have been living aboard for the last 4 years in NE Florida. The boat is very comfortable and sails well. We hope you enjoy your new boat.

Richard and Debbie
S/V At Last
gulfstar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 19:51   #68
Coastal Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar CC 40

I had been on the hunt for a boat for a little over two years. After sailing on friends Morgans and Hunters found a Gulfstar in Coco Beach, Florida. This one was well protected in Michigan for most of its life and got a refit in 2009 when it was moved to Florida.

During the survey we pulled it out and the bottom, which was barrier coated in 2009, was as smooth as a baby bottom. so i think i am good on the quality of fiberglass construction. This boat had sat a lot in florida as the previous owner lived in Colorado. I was a bit nervous but the old Perkins now with 430 hours after the refit including a new transmission, runs like a dream. I have had the boat only a week, so still in the new boat glow, but can say I was very happy on the ocean last weekend on my maiden voyage out of the Canaveral inlet and back. this has a bigger keel than i had sailed so slow turner but little weather helm in 15 knots.

For a 1982 this 40 CC fits all my needs including separate walk over aft cabin and huge engine room. The galley is roomy and will work well at anchor, but might be wide under sail. twin heads makes the back cabin truly private from the rest of the boat.

As far as availabe information i agree not much is around. The few links above are very old and not active. Of course since they only made 12 of my model. I had low expectations.

If anyone is interested i did find a 44 near ponce Inlet for sale at 45K.

Happy to fill you in as "Drawn to See", formerly known as "Rosalyn" learns her way around the Florida East Coast.

Basking in the glow of a new to me old boat!

Chris
Chris Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:55   #69

Hey Chris
Check out the Gulfstar face book page. Very active with a lot of info to be had from other owners.
Dennis GS 37 aft cockpit
Dennis1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:24   #70

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Chris, congratulations on your new baby. Post a photo of her!
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:53   #71
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I am not sure if anyone has seen Bill Browning's web page, but it has lots of old Gulfstar brochures.

Gulfstar Inc
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:06   #72

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Great find, CPA, thanks!
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 17:02   #73
Coastal Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar CC 40

Great find... ever gulfstar but mine! laughs...
Chris Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 10:57   #74

To the author of the initial post: The best source of information on Gulfstar sailboats are the owners themselves. I did not know much about Gulfstar when I bought BAREFOOT two years ago, so I did some research. I found 18 of the original 23 Gulfstar hulls built from 1986-1987 are still active (78%). I have hull #20.

I contacted several of the current owners from information I found on the USCG documentation page https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx
Many of these owners were happy to provide me with useful tips regarding maintenance, upkeep, and modifications.

Of course, the owners were happy with their boats; what owner says bad things about their boat? Recently we sailed from Tampa, FL to New London, CT and BAREFOOT performed as well as any boat I have previously sailed aboard (Morgan, Ericson, Hinckley, Catalina, Irwin, Coronado, CAL).

By now you may have your boat, it would be interesting to hear how you made out.

Mark
S/V BAREFOOT
mlucitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 11:40   #75

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

We own and live aboard our 1975 Gulfstar M53 Motorsailor (Ketch). We are quite happy with her (recently traveling from Tampa to the Chesapeake). We bought her to enjoy coastal and Caribbean cruising but have no desire to cross an ocean or circumnavigate. We think she is well suited for our lifestyle; is in excellent shape and certainly "right for us." The PO paid close/loving attention to routine inspection/maintenance as do we.

Lots of opinions and well documented knowledge floating in this long-running thread. Some of which we have experienced as true - and some we have yet to identify is a problem on "our boat."

Noteworthy...Our reputable surveyor found no evidence of pox/blisters on our last haul-out. Our next haul-out will be 2016 to do some more upgrades (rear thruster, forward looking sonar, extended swim platform, new thru-hulls, chain-plate replacement and the routine maintain and replace actions along with a full bottom job).

In the interest of contributing to the Gulfstar knowledge base (if useful to anyone), I have the original architect drawings of our vessel from her construction that I'd be happy to photograph and provide to someone wanting to see them.

Fair Winds to all.
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gulfstar, paracelle