Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 15:55   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
Gulf boats

Hello,
I'm a long time power boater (Trawlers) but had to get out as it was just too expensive at the time
Now, I'm looking to get back into something that is simple, comfortable for multiple days but reasonable to motor as far as costs. I live close to the Columbia river close to Portland Oregon and I have never sailed in my life, but a Gulf 29 has caught my eye as it reminds me of a trawler with two helm stations and from what I have read, perhaps easy to sail?
I think I would mostly motor while on the river and curious if I am setting myself up for disappointment? I realize that going upstream I may only make 5 knots? I do have long term aspirations as far as going off shore, but I'm trying to keep it simple for now.
Is the Gulf 29 or 32 a good fit or am I fooling myself?

Thanks
Ken
__________________

Mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 16:36   #2
Registered User
 
Scout 30's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: Scout 30
Posts: 3,087
Re: Gulf boats

I'm not familiar with this model but after looking at it on Yachworld I think you're on the right track but I'm not sure this is the right boat. I'd say it's more of a pilothouse sailboat than an actual motorsailor meaning it's designed more for sailing than motoring. One clear indication is the 14hp 2 cylinder diesel which is really underpowered for motoring into a headwind, typical of sailboats. The protected helm station is a great idea though. I used to live in Portland & being able to get out of the rain would make boating a lot more fun there.
__________________

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:10   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 2
Re: Gulf boats

Thank you!! I will look more of a Motorsailer...If I could afford a diesel duck, that is what I would do....
Mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:42   #4
Registered User
 
Scout 30's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Florida
Boat: Scout 30
Posts: 3,087
Re: Gulf boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbdemon View Post
Thank you!! I will look more of a Motorsailer...If I could afford a diesel duck, that is what I would do....
You & me both! Here's one that looks like it might be a great deal. Lowest price I've ever seen on a Pacific Trawler.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...557348326.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 16:53   #5
rbk
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Boat: Tayana 37
Posts: 1,356
Re: Gulf boats

I looked at these when I was shopping and if I remember correctly the 32 is a full encased keel (vs to the 27 fin) and can hold full sail in 25knts of wind. Solidly built with an undersized rig which will be forgiving for a novice. You’re right on being slow under power but throw some sail up in the right winds and you can probably motorsail above 8knts in a good breeze. Another identical model are the Rawson’s. Same designer but different builder. There are always a few for sale in Alaska and you could always sail it home, just saying.
rbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 06:38   #6
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,471
Images: 6
Re: Gulf boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbdemon View Post
I realize that going upstream I may only make 5 knots?
Probably not even that. Hull speed for that boat is about 6.5 knots through the water. If the river is flowing at 3-4 knots then your actual speed over the ground is only going to be 2-3 knots or so. How fast does the river flow?

And that's assuming your 14hp motor can push the boat fully to hull speed. It might not. If I was hoping to drive that boat upstream with its motor, I would want 20hp and a very well matched propeller.

So, bottom line, I have a feeling you would end up disappointed with this boat, given your intended use.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 19:25   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,055
Re: Gulf boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Probably not even that. Hull speed for that boat is about 6.5 knots through the water. If the river is flowing at 3-4 knots then your actual speed over the ground is only going to be 2-3 knots or so. How fast does the river flow?

And that's assuming your 14hp motor can push the boat fully to hull speed. It might not. If I was hoping to drive that boat upstream with its motor, I would want 20hp and a very well matched propeller.

So, bottom line, I have a feeling you would end up disappointed with this boat, given your intended use.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 19:31   #8
Marine Service Provider
 
Steadman Uhlich's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,055
Re: Gulf boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbdemon View Post
Hello,
I'm a long time power boater (Trawlers) but had to get out as it was just too expensive at the time
Now, I'm looking to get back into something that is simple, comfortable for multiple days but reasonable to motor as far as costs. I live close to the Columbia river close to Portland Oregon and I have never sailed in my life, but a Gulf 29 has caught my eye as it reminds me of a trawler with two helm stations and from what I have read, perhaps easy to sail?
I think I would mostly motor while on the river and curious if I am setting myself up for disappointment? I realize that going upstream I may only make 5 knots? I do have long term aspirations as far as going off shore, but I'm trying to keep it simple for now.
Is the Gulf 29 or 32 a good fit or am I fooling myself?

Thanks
Ken
Howdy Ken!
Welcome Aboard CF.

I suggest reading some of the many comments found in the threaded discussions found via several pages of links, via this link.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...tal&gsc.page=1

But, I also agree with DENVERDON about the practical need to have power on a river.

Good luck.
__________________

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
St Lawrence Seaway, Gulf of St Lawrence, Nova Scotia, Gulf of Maine sailing time wind Jm2fly General Sailing Forum 9 11-07-2016 22:53
Insurance on GULF COAST: Boats over 30+years ONLY PUDDLE JUMPER II Dollars & Cents 7 13-11-2013 05:08
Power Boats/sail boats Seagull111 Our Community 17 06-08-2013 11:16
Waterway Closure Near Chicago - Affects Great Lakes Boats Transiting South to Gulf! teneicm Cruising News & Events 2 10-09-2009 12:49

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.