Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2018, 14:55   #1

Gulf boats

Hello,
I'm a long time power boater (Trawlers) but had to get out as it was just too expensive at the time
Now, I'm looking to get back into something that is simple, comfortable for multiple days but reasonable to motor as far as costs. I live close to the Columbia river close to Portland Oregon and I have never sailed in my life, but a Gulf 29 has caught my eye as it reminds me of a trawler with two helm stations and from what I have read, perhaps easy to sail?
I think I would mostly motor while on the river and curious if I am setting myself up for disappointment? I realize that going upstream I may only make 5 knots? I do have long term aspirations as far as going off shore, but I'm trying to keep it simple for now.
Is the Gulf 29 or 32 a good fit or am I fooling myself?

Thanks
Ken
Mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 15:36   #2

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Gulf boats

I'm not familiar with this model but after looking at it on Yachworld I think you're on the right track but I'm not sure this is the right boat. I'd say it's more of a pilothouse sailboat than an actual motorsailor meaning it's designed more for sailing than motoring. One clear indication is the 14hp 2 cylinder diesel which is really underpowered for motoring into a headwind, typical of sailboats. The protected helm station is a great idea though. I used to live in Portland & being able to get out of the rain would make boating a lot more fun there.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 15:10   #3

Thank you!! I will look more of a Motorsailer...If I could afford a diesel duck, that is what I would do....
Mtbdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 15:42   #4

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbdemon View Post
Thank you!! I will look more of a Motorsailer...If I could afford a diesel duck, that is what I would do....
You & me both! Here's one that looks like it might be a great deal. Lowest price I've ever seen on a Pacific Trawler.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...557348326.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 15:53   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

I looked at these when I was shopping and if I remember correctly the 32 is a full encased keel (vs to the 27 fin) and can hold full sail in 25knts of wind. Solidly built with an undersized rig which will be forgiving for a novice. You’re right on being slow under power but throw some sail up in the right winds and you can probably motorsail above 8knts in a good breeze. Another identical model are the Rawson’s. Same designer but different builder. There are always a few for sale in Alaska and you could always sail it home, just saying.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 05:38   #6

Quote:
I realize that going upstream I may only make 5 knots?
Probably not even that. Hull speed for that boat is about 6.5 knots through the water. If the river is flowing at 3-4 knots then your actual speed over the ground is only going to be 2-3 knots or so. How fast does the river flow?

And that's assuming your 14hp motor can push the boat fully to hull speed. It might not. If I was hoping to drive that boat upstream with its motor, I would want 20hp and a very well matched propeller.

So, bottom line, I have a feeling you would end up disappointed with this boat, given your intended use.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 18:25   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Probably not even that. Hull speed for that boat is about 6.5 knots through the water. If the river is flowing at 3-4 knots then your actual speed over the ground is only going to be 2-3 knots or so. How fast does the river flow?

And that's assuming your 14hp motor can push the boat fully to hull speed. It might not. If I was hoping to drive that boat upstream with its motor, I would want 20hp and a very well matched propeller.

So, bottom line, I have a feeling you would end up disappointed with this boat, given your intended use.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 18:31   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hello,
I'm a long time power boater (Trawlers) but had to get out as it was just too expensive at the time
Now, I'm looking to get back into something that is simple, comfortable for multiple days but reasonable to motor as far as costs. I live close to the Columbia river close to Portland Oregon and I have never sailed in my life, but a Gulf 29 has caught my eye as it reminds me of a trawler with two helm stations and from what I have read, perhaps easy to sail?
I think I would mostly motor while on the river and curious if I am setting myself up for disappointment? I realize that going upstream I may only make 5 knots? I do have long term aspirations as far as going off shore, but I'm trying to keep it simple for now.
Is the Gulf 29 or 32 a good fit or am I fooling myself?

Thanks
Ken
Howdy Ken!
Welcome Aboard CF.

I suggest reading some of the many comments found in the threaded discussions found via several pages of links, via this link.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...tal&gsc.page=1

But, I also agree with DENVERDON about the practical need to have power on a river.

Good luck.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat