Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2005, 11:41   #1

gulf 32 pilothouse

My wife and I have our farm/lodge and most everything up for sale and are going to buy a boat and go.Where-depends where we get the boat for starters.Does anyone from this extremely knowledgeable group have any thoughts,plus or minus regarding the gulf 32 pilothouse.Seems to be well made.the boat we purchase will be our home for the future.
I love this forum
Bear
bearhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24   #2

Boat: looking to buy again
Gulf 32 Pilothouse

I am also interested in the Gulf 32. Have you found any additional info on this boat ? Have you bought one? My wife and I are currently considering one ourselves.

Gerry
Gerry_Orkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:27   #3

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Hey Bear,
Something to think about, If your moving onto the boat full time, there are a couple issues, one is comfort as for roomy enough for both of you without knocking elbows all the time. About 90% of your time will be at the dock or at anchor, even while cruising so having enough room to move around..
As you know, to be sucessfull in marriage is to keep your wife happy.. give here the area she needs to do her thing, be it reading, knitting, or sewing, without being a complitating issue.. You dont want to make her move out of the way every time you decide to do something..
When we were looking for a boat, we started with the largest boat we both felt comfortable sailing when it came to the two of us.. we didnt want to "have-to" have a crew on the boat whenever we went somewhere.. The next was to have an area below that we both could set, without bothering each other and do our own thing and to streach out.
The boat we decided on is a 42 foot with a pullman berth up front and a quarter berth in the rear.. the quarter berth has now become a pantry and storage and the first Retro-fit was the galley.. a new stove and reffer system..
The wife is busy baking bread today, and she's loves her boat.. I have my dedicated nav. station where I write and work my photos..
And life is good......................
Remember that the space allowed will become your new home.. Home is the key word.......
We've now been on the boat, full time for the past 4 1/2 years, sometimes in a berth and sometimes at anchor, and we'll be leaving soon for the trip around.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 18:54   #4

Boat: none yet
Ahoy Bearhill

Sorry I have no expert opinion/experience with a Gulfstar 32 Pilothouse.

I have sailed a few boats off and on for near 30 years though. I also looked closely at the gulf 32 Pilothouse and other Gulf models.

Here's my take on the Gulf-32 Pilothouse.

It's a motor sailer and not a good sailing boat. It has a sail area of only 555 sq. ft. and a SAD of 14.5. This mean its a slug when using sails only. It is poor in light to medium wind conditions. With a beam of less than 10 feet is is also very narrow compared to other more modern designs. With a displacement of over 15000lbs. motoring won't be very great either! I believe they came with a 32 hp. diesel which would be fine in most non-pilothouse vessels. But it will be slow going when motoring especially in a strong current or a blow!

Which leads me to the next comment. It would be useful if you indicate where you plan to sail/motor to. Might give us folks a clue as to what best might suit your needs.

As to Randyonr3's comments. I think it's crazy for a couple to need a 42 foot yacht because they need a husband and wife need their space. I also take issue with the comment "90% of your time you will be at the dock"
True many boat never leave the marina. Some never even get wet! But it is called a SAILboat and I spend at least 50 to 60% of my time sailing. I spend very little time down below, even when I spent 19 mths on the Caribbean. I cooked on a BBQ in the cockpit and eat there also , unless the weather was bad. I only was down below to sleep and use the head and look at charts and stuff. But I am sure not all folks like the water, the scenery, fishing, swimming, exploring in the dingy, star gazing, etc. as I do.

For us ( a 50's couple who retire in a few years) we plan on buying a 30'- 37' cruiser. Something easily handled by us, with all line leading to the cockpit. A windlass, Radar and other electronics to simplify the sailing experience. Besides the price will be a lot less than a 42' condo. The gear you wish to up-grade will also cost a lot less. And the sail management will be a heck of a lot easier as well!. Think of the $$$$ you will save at the marina if you choose to spend 90% of your time there! Maintenance & haul outs will be a lot less also.

Bigger isn't always better. It's just alway$ bigger!

Fair winds, Allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:51   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
allan C&C less
I love sailing as much as the next sailor, but why go to the Carribean for 19 months if you aren't going to stop and enjoy the islands. According to you, you were under sail for 9.5 to 11.5 months, not much time left to enjoy the islands. Must have racked up some good mileage though. Conservative 75 miles per day,,20,000+ miles.
I believe Randyonr3 was trying to say was at anchor and at dock.
Did a 71/2 year circumnavigation, actual time under sail, 9 1/2 months, actual percentage of time under sail a little over 10.5%...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 14:27   #6

Fair enough Santana.
I will confess I did my share of exploring. Via sailing and dink! Since sailed from Ontario, Canada I guess it was a bit further for me to reach the Carib than you!
One thing for certain I wouldn't sail 32 Gulf Pilothouse down there unless you plan on spending lots of time at the Marinas for AC. They maybe great for cold blue water climates but for me they are a tad warm down south. But if Bearhill likes sailing & motoring slowly then it might be fine then. If I was into to motoring i'd choose a trawler. If i was into sailing (which I am) I would not select a Gulf 32 PH. Just my 2 cents worth! There are other ones out there that are better performers in sailing & motoring such as the Jeanneau Espace . But for me I'll take a modern rigged sloop over a PH.
But whatever floats your boat!

Fair winds, Allan
Old 05-05-2008, 19:15   #7

Bear
was setting around today and thought I'd check out that Gulf 32. Seams it was a Willam Garden design.. well thats a plus as there thousands of Bill Gardens designes on the water. The boat was built by Capital Yachts which built the Newport series of the Mull.. and surprising the C&C.
The design is a full keel so its a heavyweight and probably forgiving and very stable at anchor.. Being its a full keel means it probably wont back up worth a darn but you can take care of most of that with a 4 blade feathering prop. Some boats came with a bowsprit and a staysail so you can increase or decrease sail area as needed.. its a good looking boat and allows room for solar atop the cabin and a wind charger so you wont have to look for 110 power all the time.
The boat may fit your needs well, and the cabin has a great amount of light comming in.. I also like the duel stearing where you can get out of the weather if need be..
Its a tough choice and a big one at that as its your new home...
Have a suggestion... you might see if you can rent the boat for a week or so and move aboard before you buy it...
My experance comes from Cruising FULL TIME. for the past 4 or so years between the Alaska and Mexico (OFF THE GRID) and we've just done a retro-fit for our South Pacific venture.....We are both in our mid 50s and retired 8 years ago when we sold the ranch and the rentals.
We're not weekenders and dont do this for our vacation. We're travelers and it just happens that our boat of choice is a sailboat.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:24   #8

Randyonr3

Randy first of all; almost all C&C boats were built at the C&C plant in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. They did build a few models in the States. When C&C went bankrupt it was sold ( a few times). The newer boats are built stateside. But they are not of the same built quality of the older C&C models IMHO. C&C was one of the first boat manufacturers to build a boat with balsa coring. They became one of the best builders with this type of construction. I have sailed many C&C's and have a fair bit of knowledge about their boats.

I have never sailed the Gulf 32 PH. However based on it specs and design it will be a slow boat to China whether sailing or motoring. Also with all the glass and not much ventilation an oven in southern ports of call! It those locations you need to bring on the AC or you'll fry!

Cheers, Allan
Old 06-05-2008, 09:03   #9

Allan,
Just for refference, you stated that you would rather have a 30 to 37 foot C&C.
Well my friend, If we're going to talk about a slow boat to China, compaired to the "Condo" that I sail, that exactly what you have, as your C&C at a size of 30 to 37 is rated at a PHRF Rating of 108 to 140 and my Beneteau First 42 has a rating of 66.
Thats a minimum of 42 seconds per mile or if we're going to China, at aproximatly
5600 miles to Bejing, 235200 seconds, 3920 minutes, or 65.33 hours or almost 2 3/4 days that I would arrive before you.. hence, you have a slow boat to china...
Allan, while cruising, to some of us, speed is not a concern, to some it is, There are many reasons to have a fast, sloop rigged boat but just as many to have a full keel ketch.
Cutting the lines for good and leaving the home you once had, never to return to that life, has more meaning than the boat you sail. To many of us cruising, its not the boat as it is the lifestyle. and wether your in a 3 million dollar yacht or in a dug-out canoe, your still cruising.. You know this, you've had a taste of it..
And even though the Caribbean may be a bueatiful place to sail and your wonderland, The world of water does not circle just that part of the earth.
If it were, boat heaters would not exist, and cockpits would be twice the size they are. But we all dont live in that world.
For over a year we sailed the Latitudes above 48 where we wish we had a pilothouse and a big heater... We're also planning on rounding both horns, where keeping warm is an issue..
If you're planning on spending your time in the Caribbean or the South Pacific, I agree with you 100% but if you have plans to visit China, The pilot house would be a good choice.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:14   #10

Randyonr3 you make a good point!

Correct your Benny at 42' is faster than a C&C 35-Landfall. Of course most 42 foot boats will have a higher PHRF rating than a smaller vessel!!! So what?
I have given up racing. But I still like a boat that performs well under sail and motoring conditions.

As for the part about I would rather have 30'-37' C&C. That's not quite correct. I sold my C&C 42-Landfall to down size and find something more manageable for a crew of 2! While others may disagree with me, 2 people don't need a boat that large to have a livable & comfortable cruiser.
I am looking at several boats not just C&C's. The only C&C under consideration is the 35-Landfall. Some others are the Nonsuch 30, Pearson 323 & 34 , Tartan 34, Jeanneau Espace and a few more.

Fair winds, Allan
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02   #11

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
I don't know about the Gulfstar PH32, but I've never figured out why everybody says that PH boats are hot and stuffy. Mine has plenty of ventilation, visibility and I can always adjust the hatches, portholes, PH windows, rear PH door, have always had more than adequate ventilation. Seems sometimes too much. Like I said, I've only dealt with my PH and I built her with some of my modifications. As for all the windows, I like to look outside when I am in the cabin and if the Sun gets too bright. I can always close the curtains. Also like the fact that when the weather is really crappy, I can be in the PH with a hot cup of coffee or soup and watch everybody else get cold and wet, but like I said, this is the only PH I've had any real dealings with.
I'll also agree about the size of a boat, if you are going to be sailing with 2 people, around 35' +/- is a perfect size IMHO, also when it comes to maintenance and repairs, smaller is better. B4 I would go out and buy a boat, I would check out various sizes just to get the feel of how much you could handle easily. You can always handle a bigger boat, but how much WORK do you want to have over how much FUN..

I want to have more fun than work, but then again a sailboat is always work during and after a voyage. Maintenance and repairs always come first..
Happy sailing
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 16:53   #12

Boat: Whitby 42
Gerry, Had a Gulf 32 for five years 3 in Mexico including up/down the Baja good boat. Mine was hull #16 1966, wife and I lived on it no problem good sailer off the wind motor at 4 knots in rough conditions pilot house was the best. Great sea motion.

Myron
nightfighter101@yahoo.com
svholdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 12:33   #13

Windows for 1980 Gulf Pilothouse

Hi everyone, we just bought a 1980 Gulf Pilothouse. This is our first and we are very excited. However this boat needs lots of tlc. The most urgent repairs is the windows, they are leaking and cracked.

I know the original windows for the 1980 gulf was made by a company in southern California but I can't find the name of the company.

Does anyone know where i can find replacement windows for the 1980 Gulf pilothouse that will fit?

The chain plates are also leaking into the cabin so that is also our next repair.

Thanks
lionwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 14:02   #14

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
lionwhisperer,
My windows were crazed. I took them out and had a glass shop cut out new acrylic windows. The original windows were not glass. From what I understand acrylic or lexan is stronger than glass. I had to be careful owith the beading around the window because I could not find a replacement.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 14:25   #15

Windows for Gulf

Thanks for the info. I just found someone that manufactures windows for Gulf 32 and has patterns for windows made for Capitol Yachts. He's name is Mark from Mark's Plastics. 951-735-7705 in Corona California

Our problem is the windows are leaking all the way around the window and frame.

Our chainplates are also leaking. Fun Fun

thanks
Brian & Vikki
lionwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote