Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 20:22   #1

Guidance on becoming the best sailor I can be

Recently I joined a local yacht club so that I could gain sailing experience and hopefully one day be able to single hand a small cruiser 30-32 LOA for coastal travel. The very experienced club members suggested I learn to race boats such as the MC Scow and crew on boats like the Flying Scot.

The races take place on a large lake and are very competitive. So far I have participated in one MC Scow race. It was very nerve racking. During this race, in order to avoid a collision I took a hard hit to the head by the boom. I have been in an MC Scow three times now and unless it helps me reach my ultimate goal of becoming a VERY competent sailor, I don't think it is the right boat for me.

As far as the Flying Scot goes. Except for having to deal with the spinnaker, I enjoy crewing on this boat. The only issue is that it takes two people to race / sail.

Finally to my question. To become the best sailor I can be, would it be better for me to focus and learn on an MC Scow or anther boat 16-19 LOA with both a main sail and jib sail? I also need to mention that I am 61 years old and very new to sailing.

Thank you for your advice.
Time Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 02:03   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Guidance on becoming the best sailor I can be

Hi, Time Theory,

It really depends on what your goals are, and your health and physical condition, too. My advice without other input from you is this: stay out of the way of the boom--learn to duck. Keep on doing what you're doing. If you're having fun, be grateful for that. Other advice, do not stand over loaded blocks. Do not step on lines. Wear a pfd if you're in the way of going in the water. Know that you need to keep on breathing and not panic if you fall in.

We see a lot of elder cruisers just starting out, and they have the deck stacked against them, so often. They did not get practice in on their routines for dealing with *stuff* when they were younger and fitter. They did not learn seamanship along the way. And, many of them are not mechanically or electrically inclined. All of those can make for problems....

Ann
Old 27-06-2019, 02:45   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What is your definition of "best sailor you can be" and what are your sailing objectives? Do you mean "best" cruising, racing, or all round sailor?

Racing on anything is a great way to improve your skills. It is not always the best way to learn initially, as you've experienced, but a mix of racing experience is good even for a cruiser.

So...define your sailing objectives (olympic class racer, offshore voyager, competent coastal cruiser....) and then embark on learning experiences with that objective in mind.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 03:31   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

I'd say time on the water is what you need. Learning on a small, light weight sloop rigged (main and jib) boat is good because when you make an adjustment the boat will react right then and you will learn from that

The racing will help you improve your boat handling and if you are into it force you to sail when sometimes you wouldn't as a beginner when you might think the winds too strong or to light. Racing also makes you have to tack and gybe a lot. You also have to maneuver the boat for starts and bouy roundings and learn how to sail in a crowd but you can learn much of this on your own if you force yourself to do so.

Normally during one of my local 50-60 mile cruises, I may only tack/gybe 6 times in 8-10 hours whereas in racing I may have done 12-16 tack/gybes in the 5 minute race prestart plus stopping and starting the boat

Many that cruise even locally do so under autopilot much of the time since it takes so much time to sail to your destination because steering by hand gets old quick

Some like to have the sails trimmed perfectly while others put more into planning for best wind and tide which beats perfect sail trim any day. Ballpark trim is good enough

Once again it's about time on the water (boat handling), time on the boat, anchoring, docking, and of course repairs. (knowing a bit about the systems on your boat)

I singlehand my 27' boat all the time and am still learning better ways with each short cruise or day sail. I started on small light weight boats but overdid it with the racing which I did against tough competition for about 10 years.

Racing is good for learning but don't let it get in the way of your enjoyment
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 04:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guidance on becoming the best sailor I can be

Your 61 so are making a late start into the boating world, personally, speaking as a non competitive person I would say forget the racing idea.. its valuable time wasted which could be better spent taking a keelboat sailing course and boat hunting and buying your 30-32ftr to go cruising.
Leaping around dinghies is for the younger folk and not needed experience for the cruising life where everything moves at a slower pace.. I have never raced in my boating life but still gained the ability to push a boat to its max when I get the urge.. its called sailing by the seat of your pants, listening to and understanding what the boat, wind and currents are telling you.. the language is easy enough to pick up and common sense does the rest unless your one of those uncoordinated people who cannot march..
Take a course, buy your boat and go sailing.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 04:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I like Ann Cate's advice above. I also think you might move to a larger boat, because cruising sailing and racing anything under 20 feet are rather different tasks. Larger boats favor us older people, both because things happen more slowly and because you don't need the agility to scramble under a boom. You also concentrate on getting from here to there, not on collisions and right of way. You can dispense with the spinnaker - Lord how I remember trying to learn to use one on an 18' boat.

Don't let anyone tell you that you are too old for this - get a boat that you like.

Welcome.
Old 27-06-2019, 05:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Don't let anyone tell you that you are too old for this - get a boat that you like.

Welcome.
You will find many posting here who are older than you (OP). Im not far behind you at 58, but I started decades ago. Im still sailing mostly for fun and occassionally professionally (which can be fun to). Build experience and more opportunities will come your way...I have too many too take these days.

You have already taken the most important step: you got started! Congrats! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Anybody else want to post their age?
Old 27-06-2019, 05:17   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Guidance on becoming the best sailor I can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You will find many posting here who are older than you (OP). Im not far behind you at 58, but I started decades ago.
Anybody else want to post their age?
Its on my website but lets put it this way..
I was bearing off ships sides with a boathook when you were bearing off your pushchair with a lollipop stick..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:56   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

I second Boatman. I often see the advice to race a small boat to develop sailing skills. There must be something to it, though I've not found the need either. I've crewed for a race a couple times and it was OK. But also being non-competitive I found it somewhat irritating and was just enjoying the time on the water not the competition.

Further my cruising/boating doesn't require me to be the fastest or best sailor. Being on a 32 foot sailboat is much less strenuous, and doesn't require acrobatics or thinking several things at once. Frankly I have a very nice day just motoring around, or even just staying in my slip at the marina.

Yacht clubs are often full of people who love the adrenaline rush of racing, or are party animals. We generally stay away, not that there is anything wrong with either, but more that we sail because we like the quiet and relaxed lifestyle.

If you want to play with a 32 foot boat, I'd recommend you get one. Spend time learning the systems, fixing things, using the motor, etc. You will learn a lot just by being around other sailors too. Go to your new boat and watch the other guys. Be friendly and helpful and often someone will befriend you and give you good knowledge and even take you out with them. Learning to sail just to move around isn't that difficult. Certainly if you have basic mechanical skill it's doable within a few hours. Just make sure that you are experimenting on a day that has light winds like under 10 knots or so.

Also searching for boats will give you lots of knowledge. You get to poke around boats, talk to more experienced owners, see what systems a boat your size has. Also a good broker can give you good information. It's a fun activity. Sailors tend to be pretty non judgmental and enjoyable to visit.

It can all be a grand new adventure. Both exciting and somewhat nerve wracking. But that's the fun of it.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 05:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Its on my website but lets put it this way..

I was bearing off ships sides with a boathook when you were bearing off your pushchair with a lollipop stick..

[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
And what do you use now...your cane? [emoji6]
Old 27-06-2019, 06:04   #11

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I'll be 63 in a few weeks and raced when starting to learn how to sail in my teens. Racing in small boats is a young man's sport, is physically demanding and one needs to pay attention to everything going around you otherwise you could suffer a few injuries on your steep learning curve. The last time I was seriously racing, I moved up to a Tartan 10. The owner was winner, didn't yell (because he knew what he was doing) and everyone functioned as a team. It was a wonderful way to forget how bad some of the other skippers were previously.
Since then been mostly "cruising", but always paying attention to the details to get the boat to go as fast as possible. I've learned over the years that a bigger boat means a more stable deck to get around and work on. A common misconception is a 22-25' boat is a good starter boat due to smaller sail size. Having sailed many small to mid-range sized boats, IMO would disagree with this thought as it can be difficult to go forward due to rigging, smaller deck space with a lighter displacement rolling boat.

TT, welcome to the world of sailing. From my years of sailing would suggest you sail on as many different keel boats as possible (preferably owned by someone else). When/if you do buy a boat, they are all a compromise from your "ideal" boat (a myth or does it really exist??). It is a good sport, definitely not a cheap one (unless you have friends w/boats and don't own one) and would consider it an "extreme" sport if you do ocean sailing.

Good luck.
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 06:14   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As a 61 year old beginner with the ambition to sail a 30-32ft cruiser, I would advise against starting with "wet bum sailing". Get as much time as you can on small keelboats where you will learn what you need to know in a lot more comfort.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 06:15   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

I'll agree with racing being for younger folks.

My last beach cat had main and spinnaker and was a single handed boat by rule

After a weekend of buoy racing which meant calling all the tacks yourself with zero help and handling the spinnaker while riding a boat that weighed 300 lbs with 300 plus square ft of sail area, I'd be whipped and I was only around 50 when I stopped (and switched to cycling)

I'm over 60 now and I watch each Wednesday evening as the boats head out to race. Some of the folk are my age and older. Some crews have matching shirts etc and they seem to be into it so I say more power to them if that's what they enjoy

Have you gone day sailing yet with a guy that owns a cruising boat of around 30' or so? That might be enjoyable for you and you'll learn as the skipper explains things without all the pressure
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 06:48   #14

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

61 is not old by any means, and if you are in halfway decent shape, you will have no problems with a 30 foot boat at all. I believe there are 2 schools of thought with learning to sail. One is to start off racing small boats, and gradually work your way up through a long course of paying your dues. The other is to buy the boat you want (within reason), and learn to sail it. The first is like going to HS, and then a 4 year college to learn a career. Nothing wrong with that at all, and certainly something to be said for it. The other is going to a trade school, completing an accelerated program, and then getting practical on the job experience. They both work. I'm sure you do not want the 6 year program, you want to the 1 year program. I'd get a basic book and/or video on learning to sail, maybe rent a small sailboat for some solo sails, and start checking out the boat market for what you ultimately want to buy. If you have not solo captained a small boat, and just played around with it with a life jacket on, I'd try that. If you have a strong interest in sailing, a lot can be learned by just playing around with a small boat, in that you can do what you like, learn the basic dynamics of what happens when what happens, and get direct feedback from your actions. IMHO, it's possible to learn a lot more, more quickly, by doing this than sailing as mate on a racing boat. Good luck, feel free to post many questions, and get started. You have many years of sailing ahead of you.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 07:19   #15

Also being 61 and having gotten a late start at serious sailing (58), my opinion is that a basic keelboat class can be a good way to get a lot of information fairly quickly and having it reinforced without getting too many bad habits. That said, any time on the water is good. Racing is good in that forces one to quickly analyze navigation and racing rules plus strategy while trimming sails. However, if it's overwhelming and takes the fun out of sailing don't go it. Any time on the water will eventually make one have to deal with and be comfortable in adverse conditions.

Regarding age, I personally think that you have many years of sailing left in you at age 61.
fahtcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail