Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 11:12   #1

Gudgeon Mounting

Hi all,

I'm in the process on remounting two gudgeons on my rudder (one below the waterline, one above). I have cleaned up the area where the old gudgeon was, filled the old holes with thickened epoxy, and will drill new holes/mount the gudgeon in the same spot.

My question is the following: How should I prepare the surface (note that the area is below the waterline)? As you can see from the picture, some of the bare fiberglass is visible. Should I sand it down even further and apply gelcoat on top of the bare fiberglass? Or could I simply apply a thin layer of thickened epoxy to create a waterproof barrier?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4152.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	186455

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4053 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	402.4 KB
ID:	186456
agg212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 13:35   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Gudgeon Mounting

I would go with neat epoxy to fill the surface, then cover with thickened epoxy before the neat epoxy cures fully. Then several coats of epoxy barrier coat or equivalent.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 15:37   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
I would go with neat epoxy to fill the surface, then cover with thickened epoxy before the neat epoxy cures fully. Then several coats of epoxy barrier coat or equivalent.
I like that idea but I would go a little further. Since you have removed the rudder and can easily lay it on a work surface why not remove all those old layers of bottom paint. It would then be a simple matter to apply your choice of barrier coat and have a rudder which would be the envy of all.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 16:56   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Gudgeon holes shouldn't be on the same line .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 15:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I like that idea but I would go a little further. Since you have removed the rudder and can easily lay it on a work surface why not remove all those old layers of bottom paint. It would then be a simple matter to apply your choice of barrier coat and have a rudder which would be the envy of all.
I was thinking about doing that...how would you go about doing it? Sand/scrape off the old bottom paint down to the gelcoat? Then apply a barrier coat and then finally bottom paint?
agg212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 20:48   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by agg212 View Post
I was thinking about doing that...how would you go about doing it? Sand/scrape off the old bottom paint down to the gelcoat? Then apply a barrier coat and then finally bottom paint?
Yes. A sharp scraper is very efficient followed by an orbital sander with 80 grit to remove any indication of bottom paint. Try net abrasives and an efficient dust extractor and the job is almost pleasant.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote