Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 04:40   #1

Boat: J/88
"Grounding striations in keel" in survey, should I run?

Looking at a 2007 B323 in great shape but the survey recommends remediation of gounding striations and oxidation on the cast iron keel. Any thoughts?

I plan to have her hauled to look at the damage myself, but it seems like it would have to have had a pretty hard hit to put striations in a cast iron keel. My concerns lie with the hull rather than the keel but there was no notation about hull damage nor can I see any evidence from inside her of moisture or marks etc. around the keel bolts.

Should I be scared away?
Old 19-09-2016, 04:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: "Grounding striations in keel" in survey, should I run?

It will depend on the striations. Are they large, deep gouges or minor scratches?

If I saw a keel with a 2' long, 1-2" deep gouge with occasional deeper pits in cast iron I would be very concerned. Scratches barely through the paint just making rusty spots probably not.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 05:43   #3

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Did you ask the owner. If you're worried swap out the keel bolts when you pull it. If your really worried also drop and reseal the keel. Out of the water is not hard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 05:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Did you ask the owner. If you're worried swap out the keel bolts when you pull it. If your really worried also drop and reseal the keel. Out of the water is not hard.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes dropping the keel isn't that big a problem and replacing keel bolts in a cast iron keel only a minor headache.

However, I thing the OP's concern is mainly with potential damage to the hull or keel stub. The grounding probably happened with the boat going forward but check to confirm the striations are in the front of the keel as it is possible to ground in reverse as well.

If the marks are in the leading edge then the potential hull damage will be compression into the hull behind the keel and tension in front of the keel so pulling out of the hull.

Look closely for cracks and deformations in front of and behind the keel.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 06:15   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Why didn't the surveyor take some photos?

I doubt you will find anything more than a scratches on a cast iron keel. However, I would check the hull area at the front and rear of the keel for any cracks.

We have a few hairline cracks around one of the keels. Probably caused at some point in the past when the boat was lifted ashore and placed down a bit too quickly.

As to the maintenance of a cast iron keel, well that will be an ongoing job for the rest of the boats life. We patch paint each spring to keep it in check but there is no permanent solution so just accept that it will need doing annually. It isn't a problem and that keel will outlast you by several generations so don't worry about a bit of cosmetic decoration.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 06:16   #6

Boat: J/88

Thanks Guys for the feedback. The survey was one done for the current owners when they bought the boat so I cannot talk to the previous owners. When I have her hauled, I will certainly be looking for cracks, and to find out if striations are scratches or gouges!
I haven't heard anyone yelling walk away yet...
Old 19-09-2016, 06:29   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Nay. You want to have a close look. Boats hit objects and keels get damage. Not all keel damage is critical.

Inspect.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 09:49   #8

FWIW, I put a 2" indentation in my Ranger 26 when we ran into a reef going at full tilt(8 knots). Nice big fat cavity. Pulled bolts, no problem. Hull sound as a nut(not sure what that means, anyhow). For fin keels, the whole boat will tip forward to get rid of the energy generated from plowing into things. Not uncommon.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 09:58   #9

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Could be nothing - could be major. I would say its definitely a price issue at the minimum. Did the current owners use it as a negotiating point when they bought the boat? Have they had any special checks done themselves? If not, why not?
How much does it cost to inspect the bare hull for stress cracks around the keel? I would want the current owners to pay to have the boat lifted, the keel bottom completely cleaned down to bare metal to show up the extent of any damage so you can see for yourself and take plenty of photos while you think about it. Hull strengthening work is expensive.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 10:03   #10

Boat: Chartercats SA, Jaguar 36

Only new boats haven't been aground. All but the most severe grounding impacts are harmless. Check keel bolts and take moisture readings around the keel and hull joint if your concerned about damage to the fiberglass structure, otherwise epoxy fill and paint the keel until the next time you feel a bump!
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 11:17   #11

Boat: Union cutter 33

we hit rocks 3yrs ago had to have keel removed bolts inspected and spanners repaired damage to hull structure only visible once keel was removed a tidy sum of 35 thousand dollars to repair...so beaware a lot of damage can occur from a grounding.
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 13:31   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstanford View Post
Thanks Guys for the feedback. The survey was one done for the current owners when they bought the boat so I cannot talk to the previous owners. When I have her hauled, I will certainly be looking for cracks, and to find out if striations are scratches or gouges!
I haven't heard anyone yelling walk away yet...
When you purchase your own survey and pull the boat, I'd just ask my surveyor to give the keel and bolts extra attention... then you can talk to the surveyor while they are going through the boat.
Old 19-09-2016, 13:53   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I saw an iron keel that had suffered salt water penetration being worked on. It was an awful job. The iron expanded with the rust, and eventually burst the surrounding fiberglass.

The keel had been "opened" for about 7/8 of the area on one side, and effort being made to remove all the rusted material. Then new iron would have to be put in, it re-glassed, and of course, new bolts, dropped, re-sealed, etc.

The owner who was working on it was not having a good time, and had already been one week on the hard doing it, when I saw it.

Having seen that, I suggest you try to find a Hunter without those problems.

Ann
Old 19-09-2016, 13:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
I saw an iron keel that had suffered salt water penetration being worked on. It was an awful job. The iron expanded with the rust, and eventually burst the surrounding fiberglass.

The keel had been "opened" for about 7/8 of the area on one side, and effort being made to remove all the rusted material. Then new iron would have to be put in, it re-glassed, and of course, new bolts, dropped, re-sealed, etc.

The owner who was working on it was not having a good time, and had already been one week on the hard doing it, when I saw it.

Having seen that, I suggest you try to find a Hunter without those problems.

Ann
Opened on one side??? That is bad. You drop a keel so its all standing, all around. Dropping one side risks deforming the other side of the hull/keel joint. Probably already has delaminated the inside of the hull/keel joint. Walk, walk very quickly away.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 14:00   #15

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

Does insurance usually cover this type of damage. I am going thru the same process and my agent is not sure. Apparently when power boats hit objects other than other boats they are not covered
twig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, survey