Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 16:52   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30
Great Boats at Great Prices?

A New Blog Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K

In the Summer of 2013 I decided to make a dream reality and buy a sailboat; and not just any sailboat. No, my boat had to be, at least theoretically, capable of a circumnavigation. This requirement combined with a limited budget led me to focus initially on traditional "bluewater" cruisers. Over the late Summer and well into the Fall I spent countless hours online as well as many days traveling to and physically viewing almost every "well maintained" "blue water" sailboat between 36' and 55' available for sale on the US East Coast. I crawled over, under and inside of Island Packets, Cheoy Lees, Tayanas, Passports, Hinckleys, Gozzards, Cape Dorys, Calibers, Pacific Seacraft, Endevours, and many others. I started my search at newer boats with prices nearing the top of my allotted budget hoping to find a larger boat (45' - 52') that was fully equipped and requiring very little in the way of refit or upgrade. I quickly discovered such a vessel is very much a rarity and when found the price is almost always far outside the realm of the possible. So I adjusted the search and began to look at slightly smaller and older boats (36' - 42') and found there were many more interesting candidates in this range but again, almost all required significant refit or upgrades. I quickly came to the conclusion that a sail away "Bristol" condition vessel was not in the cards. If I ultimately wanted a great boat that wouldn't bust the budget then I needed to focus on fundamentally structural and mechanical integrity (Hull, Decks, Engine, Electrical, Sails, Standing Rigging) and accept that whichever boat I purchased it would need good bit of TLC. Bad cosmetics played in my favor. If the brightwork needed to be refinished that was great! If new cushions and upholstery were in order, even better. If the electronics systems still used vacuum tubes, perfect!

During my search I accumulated a wealth of information regarding the available supply of these types of boats and how to recognize a truly good deal on the rare occasions one surfaces. In the end I was successful far beyond my own expectations; buying a 1980 Cabo Rico 38 that had been very well maintained and significantly refit by the previous owner. In my case, I scored a great price as well due to the particular nature of the transaction and some negotiating tactics that I will touch upon in a future post.

Although my available boat purchasing capital is now depleted I find myself addicted to searching for great boats at great prices and thought perhaps it would be interesting to offer my insights to others who may be in the market. In this way I can vicariously enjoy some of the excitement when they "score" a truly great boat at a great price.

As my interest and knowledge is narrowly restricted to what I refer to as "blue water" or "offshore" cruisers I will limit my efforts here to similar vessels. For the purpose of this blog the recognized attributes of an offshore/blue water sailboat shall be:
Medium to Heavy Displacement
Reported Sea Kindly Motion
Solid Construction
Relatively Narrow Beam
Offshore friendly interior layout
Balanced Rig
Ease of Handling
Undoubtedly, there are many other metrics I could use and readers will no doubt let me know about my oversights and omissions. That said, its my blog so I get to set the criteria. Ultimately, the purpose of this effort is not to debate the specific capabilities of one boat or another but rather to make readers aware of possibly great boats at potentially great prices.

One other comment - Limiting the negotiated sale price to $40K or below will undoubtedly limit the length of most boats presented here to below 40' but I want to keep the blog focused on what appears to be one of the largest segments of the buyer community; those with about $60K - $75K in their boat budget. If they are like me, most of these buyers are assuming that if the boat can be acquired for $40K or less then the remaining $20K - $35K can be used for closing costs and upgrades. Larger boats selling for less than $40K will almost certainly have refit requirements which would drive the overall budget far above the stated total of $75K.
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 17:48   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

I am gonna have to keep track of this thread. We are shopping for our "final" boat.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 17:53   #3

Kind of an interesting idea. I'll read it.

It does, however, fall into the common trap of accepting the general perceptions about so-called "bluewater" boats.

It's still the wild, wild west out there, and values of boats lie mostly in the eye of the beholder, relying a lot on how the boat is equipped, condition, etc.

By the way, congrats on your boat -- seems great!
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 21:11   #4

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Good for you! Sounds like you got a great boat and a great deal. I will be watching this thread. I am just getting my feet sort of not wet, but my 2nd non blue water boat. I will hopefully be shopping for a "blue water" version in about a year. Thanks.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 07:13   #5

A 1979 Tartan 37 CB asking $42,000.

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1979 Tartan 37 CB Asking $42,000
Old 16-01-2014, 07:26   #6

Can't go wrong with the T37 if its in good shape
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 07:32   #7

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

OMG....Great thread, will be following this one.
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 07:41   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You made a good choice. I did the same 2 years ago and have completed a total redo of the boat. Boat had new rigging and engine I replace chain plated running rigging painted the entire boat replaced all thru hulls and seacocks took the bottom down to original gel and barrier guarded no blisters to deal with luck. Plus much more. Need questions answered along the way e me .
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 07:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

1976 ISLANDER 36 sloop "BREESE"
A lot of boat for not a whole lot of money. Elderly owner has moved inland and wants the boat sold as soon as possible. Westerbeke 27 diesel. Lots of good equipment including 4 extra sails (1 spinnaker)Auto pilot;older inflatable with an outboard; refirgeration,Garmin plotter and flat screen TV/DVD player. The draft is only 4'11". She's on the hard in our dry storage. Asking $17,900 but bring an offer!
e mail sales@deatonyachts.com

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Here is your chance to purchase this lovely 1974 Bristol 35 "Blue Norther". New low price on this "one owner" classic beauty.

Now asking $24,000.

Deaton Yacht Sales is the only Oriental yacht brokerage to receive CPYB Certification.

For complete specs and photos visit our website at: www.deatonyachtsales.com
Contact us at Deaton Yacht Sales 252-249-0090/toll-free 877-267-6216/email us at sales@deatonyachts.com

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:01   #11

I am not sure either the Islander or the Contest listed above could be called "Great Boats." I didn't start this thread with the intention it would be used by commercial entities for advertising purpose. Rather, I hoped it would become a running discussion where disinterested contributors could make forum members aware of truly great boats at potentially great prices.
Old 16-01-2014, 08:02   #12

That Bristol may qualify as a great boat….
Old 16-01-2014, 08:04   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
I am not sure either the Islander or the Contest listed above could be called "Great Boats." I didn't start this thread with the intention it would be used by commercial entities for advertising purpose. Rather, I hoped it would become a running discussion where disinterested contributors could make forum members aware of truly great boats at potentially great prices.
CR, boaty is not a broker. Besides, who decides what a "great boat" really is? What may be a great boat to you may be one I would never take out of the harbor. Or vice versa. What Boatman is doing is showing an example. Esp showing the range available.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:05   #14

I think it's pretty clear that if you buy a boat from the 1970s, you're going to get a great price.

The only real question is how much money you'll put into it after the sale, even if the previous owner has done a refit.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 08:07   #15

Apologies if I jumped to a conclusion but it looked like the thread had been captured by someone from Deaton Yacht Sales. Suspect the moderators would want this moved to the classified section if it continued in that direction.

Tags
price