Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2014, 12:13   #46

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt RonB View Post
Quote:
Please no dreamers
I guess that would mean no wet dreamers, in this case.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 13:29   #47

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not sure what CA and BP is, but most, if not all of that is BS. This is how bad rumors get started.
Cruising Anarchy and Bob Perry. I'm inclined to listen to Bob when it comes to yacht building and Design. I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 14:15   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Cruising Anarchy and Bob Perry. I'm inclined to listen to Bob when it comes to yacht building and Design. I'm pretty sure he knows his stuff.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

That's why I said " Bob Perry, a totally different story".
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 17:08   #49

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Not sure what CA and BP is, but most, if not all of that is BS. This is how bad rumors get started.
Ok, i suppose a retraction might be in order then, mods? Sorry, can't delete.

I researched (there is a nice BP designed CL 35 for sale here) and found those comments but even if correct i suppose they could easily be no indication of most boats from the builder. However I didn't notice anyone refuting the comments.

All I took from it was just things to watch out for, here in Oz an HR will usually be twice the price of a CL of same length so seeing smoke i was looking where the fire was.

Do you have any suggestions as to the price difference to your boat? Are you suggesting they are of a similar build quality? Keel and hull design obviously different and aimed at a different use case but I wouldn't have thought that would dictate prices that much.
Old 18-01-2014, 17:57   #50

A Hallberg Rassy is a hand built, hand finished vessel with an almost flawless reputation. You see, that's what happens... one manufacturer will get caught with his pants down, taking shortcuts. Then no matter what he does, the reputation follows.
In my older HR you cannot tell it is a fiberglass boat because of the wood and originally had all Swedish fixtures. That said, these Hallberg Rassy Rasmus go for no more than any other "good" boat. A fixer can be $25K. A turn key with an LPU paint job and oodles of updated gear and sail tackle for $60K.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 18-01-2014, 19:35   #51

What do we know about these boats. Reliance 44 Year 1982 $48000 The hull and deck are constructed of hand-laid fiberglass with a 1-inch balsa core. ??? Classic Plastic: Reliance 44 Sailboat Review | Cruising World
Jimmy Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 19:37   #52

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Im seeing a lot of BCCs around the 40k mark... Great small, go anywhere boats.
Old 18-01-2014, 20:35   #53

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
A Hallberg Rassy is a hand built, hand finished vessel with an almost flawless reputation. You see, that's what happens... one manufacturer will get caught with his pants down, taking shortcuts. Then no matter what he does, the reputation follows.
But thats kinda fair though isn't it? It's not exactly easy to discover what the hull is made of or what is in the keel when viewing a boat so you buy with the knowledge that you may get burnt. Everyone makes mistakes but to knowingly take shortcuts, well it seems justified to have your alarm bells raised.

Even on a personal level if you do a crap job then you risk ruining your reputation and further prospects.

Quote:
That said, these Hallberg Rassy Rasmus go for no more than any other "good" boat. A fixer can be $25K. A turn key with an LPU paint job and oodles of updated gear and sail tackle for $60K.
Its probably just a function of how many "good" older boats there are in Oz waters, in the 70's (and still probably now) there was MUCH more money in the states. Currently there is a 1977 HR35 for sale $75k heavily discounted from original asking price (IIRC ~$100k).
Old 18-01-2014, 20:45   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

I heard that the Hong Kong built Cheoy Lees were of better quality than the ones built in Taiwan? I agree re BP boats, solid, quality built, the Valiants can represent good value today although there were blister issues on some, plus, if im not mistaken ALL the Pilot house Valients had blister problems! Passport, Tayana, Toshiba, Saga, Baba are others that can be picked up today at value for money prices! I guess the lower the price the more chance of work needed!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 21:59   #55

Boat: Vancouver 27

Would hate to miss an opportunity to plug a Pheon Vancouver 27
1979 Pheon Yachts Vancouver 27 sailboat for sale in Outside United States
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 22:08   #56

I thought that Vancouver looked amazing and I'm sure it's in beautiful condition but 1979 + the price seemed a bit high to me for it to be a "great price" - it was on Kijii for a bit last fall but I haven't seen it in a while so it may be gone.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 22:18   #57

It'd be a steal over in the UK where they tend to go for a fair deal more, but yeah, not a great price. That said, compared against the typical cost of the American equivalent in a Norsea27, and if you're feeling lenient
Old 18-01-2014, 22:39   #58

Is this your boat Laika?! We looked closely at a Nor'Sea and you're right, some of those have gone for crazy cash. It might be too small for us but we would take a look at her if we get serious about buying on this coast (dreams are a little scattered and on hold at the moment). She looks very well cared for and has some good equipment.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 06:45   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
But thats kinda fair though isn't it? It's not exactly easy to discover what the hull is made of or what is in the keel when viewing a boat so you buy with the knowledge that you may get burnt. Everyone makes mistakes but to knowingly take shortcuts, well it seems justified to have your alarm bells raised.

Even on a personal level if you do a crap job then you risk ruining your reputation and further prospects.

Its probably just a function of how many "good" older boats there are in Oz waters, in the 70's (and still probably now) there was MUCH more money in the states. Currently there is a 1977 HR35 for sale $75k heavily discounted from original asking price (IIRC ~$100k).
perhaps that is the HR 352 made after 1979. The Rasmus was 1972-1978.

1975 Hallberg / Rassy Ramus 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1976 Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1975 Hallberg-Rassy 35' Rasmus Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1973 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 19-01-2014, 08:30   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Is this your boat Laika?! We looked closely at a Nor'Sea and you're right, some of those have gone for crazy cash. It might be too small for us but we would take a look at her if we get serious about buying on this coast (dreams are a little scattered and on hold at the moment). She looks very well cared for and has some good equipment.
No, it is not FWIW, mine was also in very good condition when purchased 3 years ago and the asking price was not far off. I have an '82.

In addition to Nor'Seas and Vancouvers, I also looked at the Shannon 28, HR 31 Monsun, Baba 30, PC 31 Mariah, and an Alajuela 33. I certainly have no regrets about the Vancouver and feel its a bargain for the quality of build you get. Only have experience with the Pheon-built versions from the UK, not the Canadian builds.

Any rate, I wish you the best in your search.

Tags
price