Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 14:02   #121

Boat: Vd Stadt 34
Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

This one was on Grenada Cruisers a few days ago, looks like a good deal.
Gulfstar 37 ready for a circumnavigation for sale!
Bregts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 09:31   #122

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

Haven't seen the Alberg 30 mentioned. It is a very strong yacht with a large fleet on the Cheasepeak and Great Lakes and scattered number of boats on the West coast (mine included). Four A30's have circumnavigated -all singlehanded, the last twp accomplished within the last year - not bad for a boat built in the '60s.

Also they are cheap! A30's in excellent condition with a lot of gear top out at $22k, ones that need work sometimes as low $5 or less. The hulls and deck are virtually bullet proof, many have been refitted with Diesel engines, and the systems are simple to maintain. Plus they are a great family boat for weekend sailing and single handing.

The other "best boat" of all time has to be the Laurant Giles Vertue. Although it's only 25' overall and wood, these boats occasionally turn up in UK mostly for 10 to 15 pounds -sorry don't know how to make UK sterling show up with an iPad- but they have a dedicated following amongst owners and prior owners who wish they had never sold their " little vertue". This is the boat the Humphrey Barton sailed across the Atlantic in 1950 and broke all the barriers to small boat cruising. Don't be aghast at 25'LOA, it's something you will get used to when sailing an icon round to the far side of the world.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:25   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Advertised right here and huge price drop to $10,000. Boat is on the hard in Panama.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ma-125177.html
Old 29-06-2014, 11:02   #124

Boat: Grampian 26, Mercury 15, Formosa 41

Pretty good looking deal depending on if the rig is complete

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/4537678119.html

Sent from my SGPT12 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Ryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 15:00   #125
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
So after followingthis thread ive gotten excited about buying a vertue and need to sell my alberg 30
Here's a Vertue II for you - a ways away though.
GRP Vertue II classic cruising yacht for sale - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

Why sell a well equipped Alberg 30 for a smaller, heavier, slower boat?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 17:58   #126

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor
Thumbs up Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post

Why sell a well equipped Alberg 30 for a smaller, heavier, slower boat?
Good question. I retired this year and am downsizing a bit as I turn 68 this month and looking for a smaller pocket cruiser to mess about the North Sea and French canals then loop around to the Azores and back to UK and Europe. I've my eye on a nice little vertue, in southern England which would be perfect for the trip. Also sailing a Vertue on a long cruise has long been on my bucket list since the early '60s. Nows the time I think.
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 18:44   #127

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

This one is back on the market. Probably can be had for less than $23k

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1978 Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31' Asking $29,900
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 23:41   #128

1977 Ericson 32' for $8,500

If the advertisement is accurate, looks like a nice score to me!

(Tampa, FL)
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 01:40   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
No, it is not FWIW, mine was also in very good condition when purchased 3 years ago and the asking price was not far off. I have an '82.

In addition to Nor'Seas and Vancouvers, I also looked at the Shannon 28, HR 31 Monsun, Baba 30, PC 31 Mariah, and an Alajuela 33. I certainly have no regrets about the Vancouver and feel its a bargain for the quality of build you get. Only have experience with the Pheon-built versions from the UK, not the Canadian builds.

Any rate, I wish you the best in your search.
If you are looking for rock solid construction in 30 feet and better comfort number and CSF than the Shannon 28 (29.09, 1.81) look at the Alberg 30 (31.73, 1.68). Good ones go for $20,000 to $25000 Can. It may not have quite the room of the Shannon but more seaworthy and a bit more comfortable. Pay extra for the a diesel and exact to add fuel and water storage and refit as you please with all that money left over. The Douglas 31/32 are great boats (31.04, 1.74) and are $30000 Can. tops with the diesel. Its a Ted Brewer Design. Lots of money to refit as you please. This is for people with budgets from 20000 to 30000 and 35000 to 50000 after a refit. Some go for as little as $15000 but may need some upgrades before the refit.

Numbers are not everything but comfort is important on any longer passage. Being tossed around is not fun and everyone has a different threshold. Staying afloat is also more important than how tough it gets.
apper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 02:34   #130

A solid Pearson 323 needs cosmetics, new sails, for sale in St. Catherines Ontario for $15600 Can. For $35000 to $40000 she could be all you want. 75 gal water, 25 gal. fuel. Holding tank don't know. Pressure and 6 gal. hot water heater, alcohol stove, shower. Volvo Penta diesel with 900+ hrs. It has a V drive and folding prop worth probably $2500 new. I would buy it myself but the wife is not sure she would like sailing (we are former power boaters) and were all over Lake Huron, Lake Erie and the North Channel.

Whats not to like about a sailboat thats not pounding away in 12' (or higher) waves like in a planing powerboat on Lake Huron in a thunderstorm; that was rough. Someone should scoop this up. Its certainly a competent coastal cruiser and could certainly be upgraded to an offshore boat for cheap. It has about 1 square foot of cockpit sole that needs to be redone where the sight glass is to view the fuel level. The rest of the boat is solid. Its salt water ready as far as having the heat exchanger, just slip down the Erie Canal and you are there.
apper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 05:11   #131

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I am gonna have to keep track of this thread. We are shopping for our "final" boat.
Ditto. And the OP's criteria for judging the type of boat is very closely aligned with ours. Thank you for undertaking this project. We will be keeping tabs.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:22   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIABONO View Post
Since Cheoy Lee is mentioned above I would be interested to know thoughts about boats designed by Phil Rhodes or Bob Perry and built by Cheoy Lee during the late 1960s and early '70s. I can't imagine how 40 year old fiberglass can still have enough integrity to stay afloat and be seaworthy, but I love the classic lines of these older boats for coastal sailing.
You're kidding, right?

Get your hands on a late 60's or early 70's Pearson Triton that has been well maintained and well refit and you will not have any fear of it sinking beneath you. This could apply to a number of other well-built boats from that era. We have a 25' Catalina right now, not the most well-constructed production yacht, that is 34 years old and still very sound. It needs some spit shining and updating, but other than that, we have no concerns about her going glub glub. We owned a 1970 Bristol 24 that was the same, we had to do so repairs and upgrading to the interior and the rig, but the hull was solid as the proverbial rock. 44 years old and she is still sailing strong in San Diego. With wooden boats much older than that still plying the waters, if they have been cared for properly, I have no idea why you would think a 40 year old fiberglass boat couldn't be seaworthy.
Old 25-07-2014, 05:48   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
CR38.... Interesting thread, I was pleased to see a delightful blog on a subject that has captured the interest of many. Having read this particular thread twice, I find myself left wanting.

Let me explain. While I profess not to have the experience of navigating bluewaters in sailboats, I can however bring forth some cognitive reasoning . For me, the sailboat needs to be fulfil the requirements of the type of sailing one will be doing. Sailing the caribbean seas is not the same as the Norther passage.

But more importantly, one fails to recognize the most important feature of a sailboat and that is its captain. A good captain will sail the boat within its performance envelope, while understanding the surrounding environment and its impact on the sailboat.

An idiot captain will sink a Mariah, a Dana or any other sailboat for that matter, the first time there is a hint of trouble.

While we tend to accept that an Allied Seabreeze is a better boat than an O'day, we forget that maintenance is the only constant in determining value of a sailboat.
These are all excellent and accurate points, but are not the point of the thread.

I think it's okay for a thread to be specific, and directed at a specific target audience. This one appears to be targeted toward those that are interested specifically in the type of vessel that the OP described in his opening post. Those that don't need, or want, such a vessel may not find the value in this thread, but that's okay. By the same token, whatever a particular captain does, or does not do, with such a vessel once is buys it is also irrelevant to the thread.
Old 25-07-2014, 08:34   #134

Theres a good looking, well found Islander 36 for sale in western Washington for $12000+. Diesel powered. If I remember right those are fin and skeg hung rudder.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 12:00   #135

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

I guess it would'nt behoove myself if I didn't toot my own horn...

Nobody had mentioned Columbia 29's yet. Great solid full keel boats. Earlier than the triton's and Albergs but look much the same. I've owned ours for 4 years and its been a joy to work on and bring back some beauty to the wonderful lines it has.

Although it's at the bottom end on price and size range, they are a classic beauty in my opinion. The boat's engine runs great comes with main genoa and spinnaker. Here is a link if it's not illegal to post, I've been warned before but it seems like it's the purpose of this thread is to post links to ads for sale.

1961 Columbia 29 MkI sailboat for sale in Michigan

I did have an ad up in the classifieds on here but it seems to have exceeded it's expiration date

Tags
price