Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2014, 13:02   #76

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
You could probably get it shipped to the East Coast for about $7500. Depending on final price it might still be worth it!
Try more like 12-15k. That boat is in Mexico. That means in addition to a TON of oversize permits that will be required, you're also going to have a lot of US customs fees and taxes. Plus a roughly 3 dollar per mile transport charge. It's not cheap to ship a boat.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 04-02-2014, 14:02   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

I know this boat (Nor'sea)and the owner, who is a rigger. He just installed bronze chain plates, which probably last any of our lifetimes.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rm-119770.html

Thought this was a pretty good boat especially with only 200 hours on its Beta diesel.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6k-120097.html

Old 04-02-2014, 14:13   #78

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Try more like 12-15k. That boat is in Mexico. That means in addition to a TON of oversize permits that will be required, you're also going to have a lot of US customs fees and taxes. Plus a roughly 3 dollar per mile transport charge. It's not cheap to ship a boat.

This boat is in Ensenada. Boat was built in the USA so no customs or import fees should be due. Taxes would be due in the state of registration. Assumption is you can sail it to San Diego and ship from there. I don't think it would exceed $7500 from San Diego to Annapolis.
Old 04-02-2014, 14:22   #79

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
This boat is in Ensenada. Boat was built in the USA so no customs or import fees should be due. Taxes would be due in the state of registration. Assumption is you can sail it to San Diego and ship from there. I don't think it would exceed $7500 from San Diego to Annapolis.
Don't matter where it's built. If its not US flagged, you'll have import fees. And shipping from San Diego to Annapolis is going to run you nearly 9,000 just in shipping. Boat transport is one of the most expensive shipping forms there is.

Old 04-02-2014, 14:42   #80

1.5% Duty on foreign boats imported to the US. Not clear about the re-import of a US manufactured boat. 1.5% of $40K = $600. Not a huge obstacle

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1184/
Old 04-02-2014, 19:31   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

US or Canadian built boats move after a sale between the 2 countries without any duties. Mexico, being part of Nafta, should have the same duty free status.
Old 17-02-2014, 06:19   #82

I like the look of this Tartan 34-2. Price seems a bit high and apparently there is no broker. A quick and clever buyer might close on this at a price close to $40K.

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1988 Tartan 34-2 Asking $49,000
Old 17-02-2014, 10:31   #83

Boat: The Search Is On!
Post Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Quote:
For the purpose of this blog the recognized attributes of an offshore/blue water sailboat shall be:
Medium to Heavy Displacement
Reported Sea Kindly Motion
Solid Construction
Relatively Narrow Beam
Offshore friendly interior layout
Balanced Rig
Ease of Handling

One other comment - Limiting the negotiated sale price to $40K or below will undoubtedly limit the length of most boats presented here to below 40' but I want to keep the blog focused on what appears to be one of the largest segments of the buyer community; those with about $60K - $75K in their boat budget.
I believe many people here will find this helpful. My wife and I are currently in the market looking for just such a boat, Offshore ready around 40k and 60k after outfitting.
Here is a list of sailboats I've been putting together that are offshore ready (some more than others). Almost all the boats here are modified full keels, heavy to moderate displacement, sloop or cutter rig, U shape galley, solid construction, and you'll notice between 30-37ft. Perfect size I believe for a couple and keeping yearly maintenance to a minimum. Some boats have more teak then one would want like the (Rafiki and Baba however very capable boats) for most offshore voyagers. I've underscored boats that start reaching outside the price range. I left them on the list since if you could find one cheap, you'll probably want to buy it Please feel free to add notes, such as not enough tank-age, cockpit doesn't drain well, wood cored decks, bad valves, blistering, etc...

Alberg 37
Allied Seawind 32
Amazon 29
Aries 32
Baba 30, 35
Cabo Rico 34/36, 38
Cape Dory 33, 36
Coast 34
Corbin 39 (pilothouse)
CSY 33, 37
Downeaster 32, 38
Endeavour 33 — 38
Endurance 35
Ericson Independence 31
Ericson 33, 35, 36RH, 37
Fuji 35
Freya 39
Goderich 35 (steel)
Gulf 32 (pilothouse)
Gulfstar 37
Hans Christian 33, 34, 36, 38T
Islander Freeport 36
Island Packet 29, 31, 32, 35
Irwin MK IV 37
Morgan 384
Niagra 31, 35
Nor'Sea 27
Pacific Seacraft Orion 27
Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31
Pacific Seacraft 31, 34, 37
Pearson 323
Pearson 365/367
Rafiki 35, 37
Rawson 30
Roughwater 33
Saturna 33
Shannon 28
Slocum 37
Spencer 35
Southern Cross 31
Southerly 100 32 (lift keel)
S&S 34
Sunbeam 30
Sunbeam 34
Tartan 34 C
Tayana 37
Union 32, 36
Valiant 32
Valiant / Esprit 37
Valiant 40
Westsail / Kendall 32
Young Sun 35
Old 17-02-2014, 15:42   #84

That's a pretty comprehensive list. I suppose there are a few more that could be added. Just a few that come to mind….

Allied Seabreeze
Sea Sprite 34
Amazon 37
Pacific Seacraft 24 Dana
Old 17-02-2014, 20:08   #85

Boat: C&C 25

CR38.... Interesting thread, I was pleased to see a delightful blog on a subject that has captured the interest of many. Having read this particular thread twice, I find myself left wanting.

Let me explain. While I profess not to have the experience of navigating bluewaters in sailboats, I can however bring forth some cognitive reasoning . For me, the sailboat needs to be fulfil the requirements of the type of sailing one will be doing. Sailing the caribbean seas is not the same as the Norther passage.

But more importantly, one fails to recognize the most important feature of a sailboat and that is its captain. A good captain will sail the boat within its performance envelope, while understanding the surrounding environment and its impact on the sailboat.

An idiot captain will sink a Mariah, a Dana or any other sailboat for that matter, the first time there is a hint of trouble.

While we tend to accept that an Allied Seabreeze is a better boat than an O'day, we forget that maintenance is the only constant in determining value of a sailboat.
Old 17-02-2014, 20:22   #86
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
CR38.... Interesting thread, I was pleased to see a delightful blog on a subject that has captured the interest of many. Having read this particular thread twice, I find myself left wanting.

Let me explain. While I profess not to have the experience of navigating bluewaters in sailboats, I can however bring forth some cognitive reasoning . For me, the sailboat needs to be fulfil the requirements of the type of sailing one will be doing. Sailing the caribbean seas is not the same as the Norther passage.

But more importantly, one fails to recognize the most important feature of a sailboat and that is its captain. A good captain will sail the boat within its performance envelope, while understanding the surrounding environment and its impact on the sailboat.

An idiot captain will sink a Mariah, a Dana or any other sailboat for that matter, the first time there is a hint of trouble.

While we tend to accept that an Allied Seabreeze is a better boat than an O'day, we forget that maintenance is the only constant in determining value of a sailboat.
Very well said.

There is no point in owning a bluewater sailboat if you just plan to liveaboard or sail in the ICW or Caribbean.

It amazes me, the snobbery I sometimes see even with people who never leave the dock on what is a good boat and what is not.

When I was in the Navy I was just living aboard and weekend or day sailing I did not need a ocean capable boat. Now that I'm finally actually crossing oceans the type of boat I need has changed.
Old 17-02-2014, 20:58   #87

Boat: Valiant 40

Cabo Rico 38...what a great boat. Can't really go wrong with one of those IMHO. The 34 is I think just about the best 34 out there...it's absolutely enormous inside, and gorgously fitted out, but sleek on the outside. How that crammed all that space in there I have never quite figured out.

Seen a bit of jawing on this thread that conflates designers with build quality, which is a big no-no. Great designers get a reputation based on the great boats that they designed, and part of that reputation comes from the yards that built them. Bob Perry and the Valiant (excepting those that blistered, from the addition of a fire retardant during part of the run) are a good example, but he also designed the Saga 43 which sails like a scalded cat but has been beset by a host of build quality issues. Not his problem, he just designed the boat.

The great thing about 70's/80's boats, regardless of designer, is that there is a great data set about how these boats have faired with age. Some of them have obviously done better than others, and they have a good reputation as a result.

Boatman, sorry to say but I would never consider buying a Seafarer. That is based in part by being on a few but more from the fact that I worked in the Seafarer factory (and yes, it was factory) back in the 70's as a teenager. They are not well built boats. They produced some lovely designs (including reviving one of my favorites, the Atlantic class 30' day sailors that was a Starling Burgess design from 1929) but they are far from stout boats, unfortunately.

This is a pretty good time to be looking at 70's/80's boats. They have depreciated pretty significantly but if you find one that is in good shape, and even refit if you're lucky, and you pick the right manufacturer/yard, you'll end up with a great boat.
Old 17-02-2014, 23:38   #88

So has anyone looked at this boat? Was thinking it might be worth taking a look. 1979 Westerly Conway Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 18-02-2014, 11:39   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintessence View Post
So has anyone looked at this boat? Was thinking it might be worth taking a look. 1979 Westerly Conway Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
While this boat does look like a reasonably good buying opportunity I would be concerned about its UK heritage in terms of systems and spares. A mercedes engine sounds like a very expensive proposition when it comes to repairs.
Old 18-02-2014, 17:07   #90

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
While this boat does look like a reasonably good buying opportunity I would be concerned about its UK heritage in terms of systems and spares. A mercedes engine sounds like a very expensive proposition when it comes to repairs.
What is it exactly are you concerned about ? Would a Volvo diesel have more affordable parts than a Mercedes engine ?

Tags
price

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: