Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2014, 21:46   #31

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
I am not sure either the Islander or the Contest listed above could be called "Great Boats." I didn't start this thread with the intention it would be used by commercial entities for advertising purpose. Rather, I hoped it would become a running discussion where disinterested contributors could make forum members aware of truly great boats at potentially great prices.
I doubt Boatman is a rep of Deaton Yachts. He is well known for tracking good value vessels.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 23:18   #32

Since Cheoy Lee is mentioned above I would be interested to know thoughts about boats designed by Phil Rhodes or Bob Perry and built by Cheoy Lee during the late 1960s and early '70s. I can't imagine how 40 year old fiberglass can still have enough integrity to stay afloat and be seaworthy, but I love the classic lines of these older boats for coastal sailing.
VIABONO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 23:30   #33

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIABONO View Post
Since Cheoy Lee is mentioned above I would be interested to know thoughts about boats designed by Phil Rhodes or Bob Perry and built by Cheoy Lee during the late 1960s and early '70s. I can't imagine how 40 year old fiberglass can still have enough integrity to stay afloat and be seaworthy, but I love the classic lines of these older boats for coastal sailing.
Fiberglass does not have a "shelf life" and will stay afloat indefinitely. My last boat was a 50 year old Alberg 35. Her bilge was dry as a bone. Even after putting her on a sandbar. I had a diver go down on her just to check. The only damage was some scuffed bottom paint. And while she was on the bar, wave action was picking her up and then dropping her back down.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 23:38   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
I can't imagine how 40 year old fiberglass can still have enough integrity to stay afloat and be seaworthy, but I love the classic lines of these older boats for coastal sailing.
The first large cruising sailboat built of fiberglass is still afloat and sailing so it is reasonable to assume that those built more recently would as well, assuming good original construction. The boat is Arion and she was built in 1951.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/.../Ew19Arion.pdf

http://www.dmcboats.com/arion/
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:02   #35

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
The age of a fiberglass boat is not as important as the way it has been maintained, the boat I'm selling (since we bought another) constantly brought comments of disbelief when told the age. It's a 1979 but looks better than most of the new boats it's around and performs that way too, but it's been continuously upgraded and maintained. All deck hardware re-bedded on a rotating basis to prevent water intrusion in the decks, rewired, re-plumbed, etc, etc, all so the boat always worked the way it was supposed to.
It is also a way to keep your vessel costs reasonable by not allowing small problems to become big expensive ones.
So it's not the chronillogical age, it's the current condition and the way it's been maintained. I would still suggest inspecting an older boat closely, but then again you should inspect any boat your buying closely.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 11:17   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Great Boats at Great Prices?

Find this one appealing.. dunno if its great but more than adequate for someone wanting to head for the Islands.. would depend on the quality of the refit.. 15K is around £10K..

1973 34' Seafarer Sailboat
Gutted and built anew 8 years ago. 3 cylinder Yanmar Diesel. All fittings cabinetry plumbing new. Hard dodger built for protection. Price $17,900 or Best offer. Force 10 Stove with oven. Salon seats four. Navigation station. Great boat solid and dry. Located in Oriental NC Call 978-412-5802
978-412-5802 FREE

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 14:35   #37

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

Does a Com-Pac 27 qualify as an offshore or bluewater cruiser? I am sure that question will elicit some comments. Regardless, I am very sure this is a great boat that can probably be purchased for a great price. Check it out here:

Best Offshore Cruising Sailboats < $40K: 1992 Com-Pac 27 Asking $24,500
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 16:49   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
Letsget - you're exactly right, the secret is finding the right boat from the 70s or 80s. Most are not worth the effort.
Yes...Most production boats are not. But some are. You just have to know who the players were in the 70s + 80s.

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't give you 2 cents for a Rhodes design. Bob Perry, a totally different story. If you can't imagine an "old fiberglass can still have enough integrity to stay afloat and be seaworthy, then you should study up on them. If you do, you'll find the builders that built them right will see years and years more to come. Mine is 45 years old. No cored hull to skrimp on F/G and a F/Ged hull to deck joint. Encapsulated ballast and integral water and fuel tanks with epoxy lining.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 17:07   #39

Boat: Santana 25
Great ideas! Thanks
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 00:23   #40

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Regarding Cheoy Lee boats, on CA there are a few posts regarding them by BP and ex owners.

Things which i thought sounded somewhat alarming were:
- chopper gun only hulls, no glass mat whatsoever, reported by an owner cutting a hole out.
- the 35 was designed as keel stepped then modified by the factory to deck stepped without further consultation.
- variable quality, BP stated that they were built side by side, different teams working separately so they were "same, same but not same" to quote a Thai saying.
- deck core material resembling potting mix on a 41
- scrap iron and concrete for keel ballast
- poor quality casting of deck gear

That being said there appears to still be a fair few floating around and they sure look purdy.
Old 18-01-2014, 05:36   #41

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
Regarding Cheoy Lee boats, on CA there are a few posts regarding them by BP and ex owners.

Things which i thought sounded somewhat alarming were:
- chopper gun only hulls, no glass mat whatsoever, reported by an owner cutting a hole out.
- the 35 was designed as keel stepped then modified by the factory to deck stepped without further consultation.
- variable quality, BP stated that they were built side by side, different teams working separately so they were "same, same but not same" to quote a Thai saying.
- deck core material resembling potting mix on a 41
- scrap iron and concrete for keel ballast
- poor quality casting of deck gear

That being said there appears to still be a fair few floating around and they sure look purdy.
Not sure what CA and BP is, but most, if not all of that is BS. This is how bad rumors get started.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 06:08   #42

Certainly a classic, classic project boat that is.
41 ; Islander freeport Ketch Sailboat Full Keel Center Cockpit
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 06:10   #43

And another whale of a deal.
Sailboat for sale $6500 OBO
Old 18-01-2014, 06:17   #44

Just a little underwater
Big LiveAboard Sailboat /Endeavour 43 ketch
Old 18-01-2014, 06:22   #45

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 & Sea Sprite 30

Ahoy Capt Ron! These are good examples of boats that might be great someday but only if the buyer has the skills and time required to refit them. To have it done by third parties would undoubtedly end with a total investment much higher than the ultimate value of the boat thus leaving the owner "underwater" on the investment. From my limited exposure on this and other forums, I get the impression that most buyers simply don't have the skills and/or time required to undertake such an effort. Better to find a great boat requiring very little in the way of upgrade and refit, at a great price.
CR38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price