Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2018, 12:02   #1

Boat: 1998 Gozzard 36
Gozzard 36 versus 37 sailing quality

We are looking to upgrade from our current Sabre 34 to a Gozzard 36/37 with plans to spend the winters down south (Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean), hence the need for a boat with a bit more room and creature comforts for living on the boat for 3-4 months at a time, and more blue water capability (cutter rig, etc.)

For many reasons we have decided that the Gozzard meets our needs. There are other possibilities of course, but the Gozzard is one of our favorites due to the interior layout, large cockpit, and fold down transom.

There are a few boats for sale along the East coast, a few 37s and a few more 36s.

I understand that the keel and rudder were changed going from the 36 to the 37, with the rudder becoming semi balanced and the keel becoming more of a true fin among other things.

Is there anybody out there who has actually sailed both both boats, and can tell me what I can expect to see regarding the difference in sailing quality between the two boats? Windward performance, rudder response, whatever?

There are more choices in the older design, but I want to know what I am giving up. In other words, I am likely to really notice the difference?
markskaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 05:50   #2

Boat: gozzard 44
Re: Gozzard 36 versus 37 sailing quality

When Gozzard introduced the G41 they also redesigned the hull of their other boats.
The G37 has better light air performance due to less wetted surface, deeper keel, taller mast, better balanced helm, points better, etc. With the cockpit arch the main’s boom sheet is removed from cluttering the cockpit.

With that said, once the wind picks up the G36 is a fine sailor.
Since there are more 36s available on the used market you may find a boat to your liking. Check out the Gozzard website for their brokerage.

Good luck,
Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 06:06   #3

I've sailed on G36 but I did not know the model. It will be a bit of a disappointment in lighter airs compared to your Saber but it's pretty to the eye and has a unique layout that seems to work well for a cruising couple. The fit and finish is nicely carried out and while it's a bit of a niche boat, it does have a following, hence they tend to hold their value better than your standard production/charter boat.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:16   #4

Thanks all.

For the winters in the Caribbean there will be plenty of wind, but in the summer, we be will sailing mostly in the Long Island sound, and I fear it may be disappointing there. I suppose it is no worse than the Chesapeake for summer sailing, and there seem to be plenty of Gozzards there.

The Saber is a nice lively boat and is decent upwind, so I hope I don't regret the move, but it really is not quite enough boat to spend the winter on ..

I am just wondering if I should hold out for a suitable g37 versus the g36. If it is in fact significantly better, I would pass on the g36 and wait for what I want ..
Old 20-01-2018, 08:36   #5

BTW: somebody posted a Gozzard 40 for $15k a couple days ago in the "Boats $30k or less" thread.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 08:40   #6

The 37 shows 2 ft longer waterline. The 36 shows 5" less draft. The underbody doesn't look significantly different really.

Old 20-01-2018, 08:45   #7

I agree they look similar.

The 36 has a longer keel, sort of a cross between a fin and a full keel. I guess they call it a cutaway or modified full keel. More wetted surface of course.

The rudder on the 37 is now semi balanced versus the unbalanced "barn door' style on the 36.

I wish I could actually get on them and sail them.
Old 20-01-2018, 08:59   #8

You should check out the Gozzards on the market. I know several of them, both 36 and 37, which have different features and updates. You may find the additional cost of the 37 is outweighed by replaced systems, sails, etc on the 36.
I remember sailing up the Chesapeake with a 36 and 37 in light to moderate winds. The 36 was faster, perhaps being better trimmed.

As far as Long Island Sound, the eastern Sound generally has better winds. The western is more like the Chesapeake but when the afternoon sea breeze kicks in its better and a LOT cooler than the Chesapeake.

Ronbo
Old 20-01-2018, 09:10   #9

I don’t think the redesign of the hull changed the WL length, the OD length remains the same. But displacement increased over the years so a few inches could be picked up on the clipper bow. Manufacturers are always messaging the specs.
Old 20-01-2018, 09:22   #10

for comparison. The specs say the WL are different but those could be wrong. Although, with all the work of a major hull mold change, they may have modernized the WL too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GozComp.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	162538  

Old 20-01-2018, 09:42   #11

>> You should check out the Gozzards on the market. I know several of them, both 36 and 37, which have different features and updates. <<

I have seen one 36 locally, I have made plans to go and check out two more 36s and a 37 over the next few weeks.

Unfortunately I won't be able to sail them, so it will be hard to make a decision which to pursue ..
Old 20-01-2018, 09:52   #12

Markskaplan,

I imagine most boats are on the hard now in the NE. If you saw one 36 in wet storage at Brewer, Stamford that’s the one that kept ahead of a 37 I spoke about. You’ll know which is just right for you and it won’t be based on an extra foot.

Ronbo
Old 20-01-2018, 10:00   #13

The one in Stamford is the D layout without the nav station so I did not go to see that one. I want a dedicated nav station to play with all of my toys!

There is an A layout (with nav station) 37 in Tracy's landing and a 36 in Boston.
Both are on the hard of course. Will see them both over the next two weeks.

I guess if the boat is slow in light winds I will just get a code zero and that will take care of that! A friend just put one on his Pacific Seacraft 40 and now it flies in light wind.
Old 20-01-2018, 10:31   #14

Markskaplan,

For your consideration...
My ‘02 G44 is a MKII B. The MKII indicates the new hull and the B, a forward centerline berth in a separate cabin. It also has a 2 seat dinette table with navigation station amidships on the starboard side.
Our previous ‘97 G36E had a separate dedicated nav station with seat on the port which we rarely used in practice. So combining both functions made sense to us.

Ronbo
Old 22-01-2018, 08:53   #15

I use a mac laptop to run Nav, weather, and AIS apps, and will want to bolt it down so it does not go flying, so for me, having a dedicated spot is important as I don't want it attached to the dinette table ..

None the less, I see the D models are quite popular, so obviously many others find that to be convenient.

Tags
sail, sailing