Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 21:48   #1

Boat: 37' Samson, Ferro
Gotta new boat

I had Cal 2-29, 1976 gifted to me last week. Im a heavy displacement sailor with a 10T ketch....however...I am so excited about this new aquisition. It has a little wood rot on the inside bulkhead from leaky chainplates and also rotted wood around the companionway. Its got a Farymann diesel, wheel helm, autohelm, anemometer, propane cozy cabin stove and heater, spinnaker, new sails with furling jib. I sail in the Puget sound and winds are variable from calm to 20kn

Does anybody have any recomendations or know of problems that I should be aware of? Im looking forward to singlehanding and also training my 9 and 10 yo to sail it. There ecstatic there is no tiller!
Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 23:05   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Gotta new boat

G'Day Borealis,

Haven't been on a Cal 29 for many years, but I'm sure that you will have a lot more fun sailing her than your ferro ketch. Not wanting to stir the ferrals against the world pot, but the Cal is an all around good boat, responsive and well mannered.

If the bulkhead rot is in an area stressed by the chainplates, a careful restoration is in order. If not, then cosmetics will do. Around the companionway, again if the rot weakens the companionway structure, fix it right. But those are reasonable repairs to undertake with modest skill levels, and should bring you some satisfaction when done.

Enjoy her!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-12-2012, 23:20   #3

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Sweet! Only thing better than free is,........o my, come to think of it, nothing is better than free. Every kid at Christmas and Halloween knows that!

Pretty sure you are going to miss that mizzen mast. There is less romance or picture postcard effect from a single masted sailboat. Lol
Old 06-12-2012, 10:41   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations!
You might just start a new thread called Cal 2-29 in the the monohull forum to see if you get specific responses from current owners.
kind regards,
Old 06-12-2012, 13:04   #5

Check out the Point Roberts Yacht Club blog, one of their memebers is currently sailing around the world in a Cal 2-29, probably a pretty good source of info on the boat! Round the world in a cal 2-29 Full Moon

I have fond memories of growing up sailing on my Dads Cal 2-27!.
Steveston Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 13:42   #6

Boat: Cal 2-27

I have a 2 27. Love it. I redid my tabs and ripped out everything, got it painted on the inside. Now working on new steps at three companionway and new galley. I h have a video on here somewhere shooing us working on it. I would find the link for you, but I'm topping on a tiny phone right now while packing fir a trip to St Lucia.

I love my Cal!

I gotta go there in a minute to get my glasses.. I left then on the boat... On talking the jet to windward instead of sailing.